Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Biggest issue I see for thiefs is not enough condition removal. Otherwise I quite like them.

I ve heard that after level 20 melee classes are more difficult cause you can really die in 2 shots from mobs. While range classes have somewhat easier time..although didn't test it myself, just heard from people in beta
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    I ve heard that after level 20 melee classes are more difficult cause you can really die in 2 shots from mobs. While range classes have somewhat easier time..although didn't test it myself, just heard from people in beta
    A little bit of an exaggeration. Only mobs that would two shot me were the Champions and they often had a tell on their big hits so it was always my fault if they killed me in those hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Biggest issue I see for thiefs is not enough condition removal. Otherwise I quite like them.
    Thieves have a swanky heal that is like Warrior's mending, iirc. I really enjoy the melee on the Thief. Pistol/Dagger was really good too if you set up #6.

I feel like some of the openers for Thieves should cost less. May be a bit of legacy design in that an Assassin could be totally stumped if he missed his opener in GW1. And the high int cost is more along the lines of following the idea that missing an open should ruin your day. So to speak.

In any case, it was just a lot for so-so output. Pistol/Pistol while fun, was pretty bad. Dagger all the way!

Deleted
    I didn't play pistol/pistol...spent most of my time in pistol/dagger or short bow...oh, lovely, lovely short bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    A little bit of an exaggeration. Only mobs that would two shot me were the Champions and they often had a tell on their big hits so it was always my fault if they killed me in those hits.
    Nice thanks for clear this out cause I am gonna play a thief at the start :P
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Thieves have a swanky heal that is like Warrior's mending, iirc. I really enjoy the melee on the Thief. Pistol/Dagger was really good too if you set up #6.

I feel like some of the openers for Thieves should cost less. May be a bit of legacy design in that an Assassin could be totally stumped if he missed his opener in GW1. And the high int cost is more along the lines of following the idea that missing an open should ruin your day. So to speak.

In any case, it was just a lot for so-so output. Pistol/Pistol while fun, was pretty bad. Dagger all the way!
    Considering how hard in general a thief can hit a risk vs reward is needed
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

so there is no feral druid of GW2? talking about difficulty not a similar class

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    So there is no feral druid of GW2? talking about difficulty not a similar class
    I've compared Engineers to Druids in the past and I still think that's on okay comparison.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    I've compared Engineers to Druids in the past and I still think that's on okay comparison.
    Engineers feel more like Shaman, in both difficulty and polish.

Insofar as "difficulty" I'd say Elementalists fit that bill. Plenty of controlled stance-dancing.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Engineers feel more like Shaman, in both difficulty and polish.

Insofar as "difficulty" I'd say Elementalists fit that bill. Plenty of controlled stance-dancing.
    When I compare Engineers to Druids it's because they have an immense number of tools which they can't all use at the same time, and need to specialize to really be good (and from what I hear, Engineers aren't even that good...).
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    I didn't play pistol/pistol...spent most of my time in pistol/dagger or short bow...oh, lovely, lovely short bow.
    Just decided to comment about how much I love the shortbow. THE SHORTBOOOOWW! <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    When I compare Engineers to Druids it's because they have an immense number of tools which they can't all use at the same time, and need to specialize to really be good (and from what I hear, Engineers aren't even that good...).
    Again, feels more like Shaman. :P
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    This is again an assessment I can't agree with I don't find Guardians particularly complex (Mesmer with its shatters and clone management is WAY more complex), in contrast, properly playing an Elementalist is IMHO rather challenging due to the attunement switching.
    You dont have to agree with it, Anet have stated thats how they designed it.

Engineer has a build that is actually very strong ranged (burst-)damage with the Rifle. It is however difficult to play, because you have to combo some stuff together, quite hard in PvP. But easier in PvE because mobs are dumber (well... sometimes)

It relies on specific traits, and the Toolkit, mostly for the Throw Wrench toolbelt ability. So your ranged attack is firing a rifle, discharging static electric blasts and throwing your Wrench.

Duno if itll be viable when it goes live, you never know what gets changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    I really want to play a Thief, but I suck at it. It's a tough prof that is quite unforgiving, and I find the point system it uses to be a bother.
    So I've gotten fond of the Guardian. Tough survivor and team player. Great for soloing tough stuff too. Or maybe I'm just good, I don't know I have no point of reference
    I think thief is a misnomer. Sure it can steal, but honestly, it's more like a combat assassin than anything. You're all about sneaking up and KILLING people, and stealing is simply a means to that. Getting your head around than actually makes it make more sense as a class.
    -Styopa

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallanna View Post
    Just decided to comment about how much I love the shortbow. THE SHORTBOOOOWW! <3
    Yes!!!!!!! :-)

Also - I was using the gas cloud field to great effect...and last stress test found that a gas cloud followed by an explosion creates a weakness AOE.

Prolly obvious to most but *I* enjoyed it.

BOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    Yes!!!!!!! :-)

Also - I was using the gas cloud field to great effect...and last stress test found that a gas cloud followed by an explosion creates a weakness AOE.

Prolly obvious to most but *I* enjoyed it.

BOOM!
    My 'shortbow standard' pve mob pull:
    Choking gas immediately in front of the mob (not covering the mob, so no pull yet)
    change to dual daggers
    Hit spider venom (next 5 attacks poison)
    dancing dagger (hits up to 4 targets, cripples them, flying through combo field gives them all projectile finisher poison (extends duration))
    mobs pull and come at me, walk (at 50% speed) through choking gas. I move TOWARD poison field, stopping just outside.
    once they get to me, deathblossom (evade + 3 attacks on all)
    then dodge backwards, if I time it right they can even still hit the choking gas.

Pretty much any same-level mob is nearly dead by that time; dancing daggers, deathblossom, and maybe a heartseeker to finish a straggler.

Next group.
    -Styopa

10+ Year Old Account
    I've decided to roll Elementalist main simply because I really, really enjoy using combo fields and finishers. I also have a feeling that the vast majority of my time in GW2 will be spent with friends or randoms which is another reason I've chosen Elementalist as main. The versatility and synergy they can achieve with other professions is crazy.

Then I realised I can spec as a tanky healer for PvP and my dreams came true. The only thing that could possible match my love for the outlast to win style of PvP is if life stealing Necro's worked well. I LOVED SL/SL locks