Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedivy View Post
    Sadly, I miss the days when you had to do threat reduction buffs and watch omen like a hawk for not overtaking the tank.
    Lol i miss over agroing when healing think late LK or early cata i think was so funny and best way to find if tank was good or bad.
    I Know My Spelling Is Bad so Live With it or dont and just die

10+ Year Old Account
    Suddenly? Me and my buds started using it back in 09 oO
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I have been using it for a long time now (mainly because I like its 1 addon that handles damage and threat). I hear arguments on both sides about accuracy but for me, that doesn't really matter. I only use it to keep track of my personal DPS and where I am in relation to the rest of the Raid DPS. I don't have to be the best DPS, but I like to do as well as I can. It lets me know what fights I am weak on so I can figure out how to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Yea Skada used to be a lot more accurate that however is not true anymore. I believe Skada is still more accurate in terms of dps numbers if you compare it to WoL because it uses E(ffective)DPS just like WoL does while recount uses DPS. Or well in theory WoL uses both EDPS and DPS but EDPS is what gets you rankings.

Skada has a higher discrepancy from the actual EDPS number than recount has from the DPS number but since EDPS is the real way to measure dps, skada will be better to use if you want to see roughly how good you will do on WoL.
    Don't really know what you mean by EPDS and normal DPS (could you explain what's the difference) but Skada is at the moment very messy. I just tested Skada (because of this thread and people claiming it's more accurate) and it's a mess. For complete damage done it counts only my mainhand weapon and not my offhand so as fury warrior I'm much lower in charts than I really am. For DPS an the other hand it uses the damage of both weapons and attackspeed from my mainhand resulting in very high DPS that doesn't fit the real DPS done and doesn't fit the complete damage done. In addition it very often doesn't count autoattacks or DOTs.

Maybe I've done something wrong or I need to change some settings but with these messed up results I won't use it.

The only skada numbers I have seen have not jived with my recount #s, and my recount has always been close to other peoples.

Most of this thread is about DPS, only healing discussion has been absorbs. I have not been able to find how much overhealing each spell is doing, realtive to itself with recount. I can see overall overheal, and % of my total for each spell, but I will intentionally overheal with some spells, and some will always over heal a certain amount. I want to see my over heal % for Greater heal, and all I can see is the raw over heal, which I then need to calculate based on effective healing. Can recount or Skada do this? Would WoL do it? Can you use WoL in a dungeon to asses if what you think you are doing is actually working?

10+ Year Old Account
    I use recount..only because I can afford to on my PC, on my laptop Skada is more welcome addition.

I think recount allows for a slightly more indepth look to what is happening. But only if I really really need to see what's going on.
    Usually progression fights where I'm on my PC anyway.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

How is Skada more precise, does the game provide better information to Skada?

I think it is down to people having a sort of brand loyalty and jumping on any bandwagon to support it, regurgitating the stuff they hear from other people. From my perspective, while Skada uses less resources, the advantages stop there.

It almost reminds me of the PC vs Mac arguements, a load of misinformed garbage gets thrown around with the reality being lost somewhere inbetween the sea of turd throwing and emotionally triggered defensive or offensive comments and arguements.

Just use the fucking one you like to use.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    I might be totally ignorant on the part of damagemeters but I thought they all sort of did the same? Acting as an interpreter of the combat log? Apparently with slightly different interpretations of certain events such as including (or not) absorption, including pets and guardians (totems?) etc.

In that regard is there really a massive, if any, difference between Recount, Skada, Numeration, TinyDPS, alDamageMeter etc etc? I thought it was mostly cosmetic stuff like Recount being heavy into plotting graphs (I always assumed this was why Recount was such a resource-hog) and stuff.

Are all but Skada and Recount doing something wrong or are they just the same?

Quote Originally Posted by ReLaXeD View Post
    whats makes it better?
    I use skada since WotLK. Simply because Recount always returned my damage WAY lower than everyone's else, even when the were from weaker classes, and with lower gear. And I knew it wasn't precise. By analyzing I noticed Recount started to count my Damage way after it started to mark the start of fight, and then, stopped to mark time way after the mob died, ONLY FOR HUNTERS.
    One obvious sign that it was screwing my DPS was having my total damage higher than anyone else, while my DPS was at bottom, at the very same fight the entire group was.

Looking at the add-on page I stumbled upon a "That's the way the add-on is, we are not modifying anything on how it works".
    So I searched a replacement, used both Recount and Skada for a time, and thought that Skada was way more precise meter.
    Last edited by Buu; 2012-08-09 at 05:54 PM.

hmmmm - ive just found this thread and thought id give skada a try - ive DL it but i cant get the damn thing to display anything on the bars fsr - is there any1 who can tell me what im doing wrong, either here or via private msg so i dont glog up the thread

never mind - think i found it....:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Yea Skada used to be a lot more accurate that however is not true anymore. I believe Skada is still more accurate in terms of dps numbers if you compare it to WoL because it uses E(ffective)DPS just like WoL does while recount uses DPS. Or well in theory WoL uses both EDPS and DPS but EDPS is what gets you rankings.

Skada has a higher discrepancy from the actual EDPS number than recount has from the DPS number but since EDPS is the real way to measure dps, skada will be better to use if you want to see roughly how good you will do on WoL.
    That's not true, WoL rankings are based on DPS not eDPS.

But yes, it's a very important point that just because one meter chooses to display DPS versus eDPS that does not mean they are inaccurate, it's more likely that you're just comparing the wrong information.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

Deleted
    When I last used Skada back in ICC days, I remember missing the pie charts from Recount as it shows what damage I did with all my spells which I really missed so went back to using Recount. However I referenced the looked of Skada. Is there some plugin that does this for Skada?

Is there some plugin that does this for Skada?
    There are quite a few additional modules on wowinterface.

What I like is that I can completely disable (i.e. not even have loaded) modules that I don't need. I don't need the threat module because I use Omen. If I find myself never using a module I just disable it. This makes the addon extremely lightweight (even more than it already is) if you need it to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not everyone is using Skada. I know plenty of people in my guild besides myself that prefer Recount.
    Alayea - Enhance/Resto (Main) Lithala - BM Gekkani - Holy/Shadow
    Mathrie - Fury/Prot Mayae - Resto/Bal Elita - Frost/Blood
    Chrystie - Frost Draika - Combat Ioreth - Ret/Prot
    Vexbolt - Destruction Yin - WW/MW Yolis
    Urwenn

10+ Year Old Account
    It's lighter for starters.
    I like the auto-reset being far more easy to execute.

Only problem atm with Skada is that if you leave a dungeon it can bug and then you have to toggle the window back up.

I use it because i can disable what things I want it to track, I just have it on damage so it's extremely lightweight.