Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    450W on the 12v rail is plenty even for a 680.
    Although a low quality 450W PSU is probably 250-300W.
    450 w is plenty for most cards yes, it is to bad that you have a whole system using your PSU and generating heat. All these things affect your PSU and in an old system like that a 450 w psu isn't really a 450w psu anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegan View Post
    450 w is plenty for most cards yes, it is to bad that you have a whole system using your PSU and generating heat. All these things affect your PSU and in an old system like that a 450 w psu isn't really a 450w psu anymore.
    Plus the fact that while a 600 series or 7000 series graphics card uses less than 200W, a 500 series or 6000 series often takes up to 300, and a noname 450W PSU that probably doesn't have that strong a 12V rail, plus normal degradation, may well have trouble delivering enough power.

Deleted
    Buy an entirely new PC.

That shit he has, is not worth just upgrading. New everything is needed to run the TODAYS games.

To the guy who said a 450W is enough for a 680, please don't breed. I'm guessing you run without CPU, hdds, ram and no keyboard or mouse ?

A 775 processor uses about 60W, the 680 uses about 190W under FULL load, RAM uses next to nothing, HDD uses next to nothing, add in 50W for chipset, fans etc and you are at 300W.

---------- Post added 2012-08-12 at 11:56 PM ----------

So he got 2 times more FPS with a card that is 4 times faster, and all of this on a non-CPU demanding game.
    Yeaahhhh, no bottleneck here.
    So he gets a new Haswell CPU and motherboard for christmas, and he already has a bang up graphics card, and in the meantime he doubles his gaming performance. I fail to see the disadvantage of the OP getting a new graphics card right now.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-08-12 at 09:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    A 775 processor uses about 60W, the 680 uses about 190W under FULL load, RAM uses next to nothing, HDD uses next to nothing, add in 50W for chipset, fans etc and you are at 300W.

---------- Post added 2012-08-12 at 11:56 PM ----------

So he gets a new Haswell CPU and motherboard for christmas, and he already has a bang up graphics card, and in the meantime he doubles his gaming performance. I fail to see the disadvantage of the OP getting a new graphics card right now.

Buddy pls. I'm always talking Max load.

(LOWER THE BETTER)

Swedish PC site(with high reputation) recommendation for the 680: 550W.
    Last edited by mmoc4814bc6f58; 2012-08-12 at 10:19 PM.

My swedish isn't very good, but that looks like a "full system" load of 355W. Correct? Also, if I am not mistaken, those charts are made with a 3960X or something like that. Which on its own draws at least twice the power of a E8400 (60W TDP)

Imo, unless he's looking to upgrade the entire system in the next year would be to drop about 140-180 on a new card. The Radeon 6870 does pretty well and I believe the 6850 is great in terms of performance/cost.

References: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html

I would still like to see an entire rework of his system, but that does cost a lot of money.

For those of you that are talking about GPU/CPU bottlenecking: I've definitely experienced it firsthand with a 6870, an Athlon II x4 and WoW. I couldn't really play wow on ultra with a smooth framerate (60+) in 25 man raids and out on the open in areas like Org. Once I upgraded the CPU to an i5 2500k though, I had 60+ everywhere.

CPU bottlenecking might not exist with respect to GPU intensive games, but do keep in mind that this forums is mostly full of WoW players. It should be common knowledge that WoW (as well as most other MMOs) are quite CPU bound.
    Last edited by Pareidolia; 2012-08-12 at 10:27 PM.

Deleted
    My swedish isn't very good, but that looks like a "full system" load of 355W. Correct? Also, if I am not mistaken, those charts are made with a 3960X or something like that. Which on its own draws at least twice the power of a E8400 (60W TDP)
    You don't build a computer like this to idle on it.

Quote Originally Posted by verba View Post

Buddy pls. I'm always talking Max load.

(LOWER THE BETTER)

Swedish PC site(with high reputation) recommendation for the 680: 550W.
    That's full system load. 352W for a system with a 680 at max load, probably with a high end CPU.
    Please, don't try to correct people if you are incompetent about the subject.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-08-12 at 10:44 PM.

What did you want to prove with that chart? that my estimate for the total power draw of a system with a 680 and a CPU that uses half the power that the one in that chart uses was pretty much bang on correct?

Anyway.

If you want to upgrade the graphics card again within the next 1-2 years, get something like a 6850 or 7770 (say when you upgrade the CPU and motherboard). If you want to keep this graphics card for as long as you have had the 9800, get something more powerful. Yes, you won't see its full potential until you upgrade the processor. It will, so long as you use the current CPU, be the same as a less powerful card. There will be new graphics cards coming out around January-March 2013. If you want to get a completely new PC then, then perhaps you should get a cheaper graphics card. It all really depend on what YOU want to do.

Deleted
    That's full system load. 352W for a system with a 680 at max load, probably with a high end CPU.
    Please, don't try to correct people if you are incompetent about the subject.
    I don't know about the OP, but with a high end card like this, I'd not even think about running it without overclocking. It's so easy and extremely safe with the current hardware.

There isn't a disadvantage and I never said that. I'm just trying to explain that the bottleneck from a new card will be severe. And the OP has not mentioned a future upgrade to Haswell, so something more powerful than a 7850 is a bit pointless. A lot of people upgrade only when the hardware breaks, and someone who is still on Core 2 Duo obviously doesn't care about the latest technology.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-08-12 at 10:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrax View Post
    Hmm only game I ever had problems with my 560 TI was Battlefield but that was fixed pretty quickly.
    The problems i have had. Getting flimmer on youtube and my entire computer froze so I had to revert drivers 3 drivers back because of it. Same on WoW and also had it in fallout new vegas. I have been to the nvidia forums and seen plenty of people with this problems. But I might be wrong and they have fixed it but my tip to you is: Do hard research so you don't get the same problems I got because it was pure pain.

Haha, I didn't really expect this thread to take off in this direction..

I'll be honest, I don't really know what he wants to do with his PC as a whole - whether he wants to upgrade it or not for the future, etc. I know the whole PC needs to be scrapped and a new one built to run newer games, but he doesn't have the cash for that. So, I've just been told to find him a new GPU. If that means a new PSU, so be it, he'll buy a new one. So my question is:

If he buys a good 500w PSU and taking his other parts into consideration, will the 560 Ti be a suitable replacement for his 9800 GT? If not, would the 560 (non Ti) work? If no, could someone please suggest a suitable course of action.

Cheers,

Bloodlight

Something like an HD 6850, HD 6870, HD 7770 (all between 105 and 150 dollars) would do just fine.