[MOP] Light of Dawn Nerf

From today's blue post:
    An update for paladins: we're going to buff Word of Glory and slightly nerf Light of Dawn.

I honestly do NOT see a need to nerf LoD, even if it's a "slight" nerf.

The reason I say this: it's only limited to 6 targets!
    If they're trying to force us to use Holy Radiance, well, I'm sorry - but that spell is so situation mainly due to the fact that the spell effect only has a 10 yard range! It's almost worthless in some 10m encounters.
    I for one am not looking forward to this nerf.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbubble View Post
    From today's blue post:
    An update for paladins: we're going to buff Word of Glory and slightly nerf Light of Dawn.

I honestly do NOT see a need to nerf LoD, even if it's a "slight" nerf.

The reason I say this: it's only limited to 6 targets!
    If they're trying to force us to use Holy Radiance, well, I'm sorry - but that spell is so situation mainly due to the fact that the spell effect only has a 10 yard range! It's almost worthless in some 10m encounters.
    The only thing they are trying to do is make WoG viable as a HoPo finisher. LoD is pretty much a no-brainer now. Not a huge fan of this myself, though.

It's nothing to do with forcing us to use HR. LoD is a 'finisher' so it doesn't compete with HR in the first place.

They're obviously concerned that Paladins will just use LoD for the beacon transfer + raid heal over WoG every time. Nerfing an already weak AoE toolkit is the wrong way to go about this, though. They need to make WoG more attractive rather than make LoD less attractive. There's obviously only so much they can buff WoG straight up so it's probably best to give it some kind of secondary effect. When you WoG you're next spell on that target does +50% healing etc. Something that makes the choice a simple AoE vs Single Target one. This LoD vs WoG issue has been rumbling on for a long time. They need to sort something out, or, if they can't, just take LoD out of Holy Power and give it a cooldown.

I still think that WoG is a worthwhile HP finisher over LoD, but it's situational. If you're trying to heal the tank through beacon, then yeh, use LoD, but if one raid member is taking significant damage, then HS + WoG to top 'em. To nerf one spell to make it less appealing is not ideal.
    I always thought that in order to make WoG more appealing, they should give it an effect if used (with 3 holy power).
    If a full holy power WoG is used, then increase your mastery by 50% for the next 10 seconds...something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasture View Post
    It's nothing to do with forcing us to use HR. LoD is a 'finisher' so it doesn't compete with HR in the first place.

They're obviously concerned that Paladins will just use LoD for the beacon transfer + raid heal over WoG every time. Nerfing an already weak AoE toolkit is the wrong way to go about this, though. They need to make WoG more attractive rather than make LoD less attractive. There's obviously only so much they can buff WoG straight up so it's probably best to give it some kind of secondary effect. When you WoG you're next spell on that target does +50% healing etc. Something that makes the choice a simple AoE vs Single Target one. This LoD vs WoG issue has been rumbling on for a long time. They need to sort something out, or, if they can't, just take LoD out of Holy Power and give it a cooldown.
    I'd almost say keep LoD in holy power but give it a CD AND give WoG some sort of secondary effect. This way you still want to use LoD on CD in an AoE situation but you still have to generate HoPo to pay for it. Then in between those... 8/10/12? secs (similar to other 6 target raid heals) you weave in WoGs on players who need more healing to boost your Holy Radiance. Sort of an infinite feedback system. Use X spell to build HoPo, use HoPo finisher, finisher buffs HoPo builder, use builder to gen... etc etc.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde 25m 8/8H recruiting for MoP!
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/kardone

If they're trying to force us to use Holy Radiance, well, I'm sorry - but that spell is so situation mainly due to the fact that the spell effect only has a 10 yard range!
    40 yard range in MoP

WoG needs to be competitive with LoD which it really wasn't. Let's hope they don't overdo it (looking at you EF nerf!)

Deleted
    Aye it is mostly to get us to try and use WoG more, which is understandable.
    I can see why they would do this, but we'll have to see how it works out in practice.
    Our AoE healing is pretty strong in MoP, even more so with the change to LoD (not being just a frontal cone now) so a nerf is understandable. I only hope they don't overnerf it.

Dub - I believe the 40 yard range refers to whom you're casting the Holy Radiance on. The healing is then spread up to 10 yards from that target:

Imbues a friendly target with radiant energy, healing that target for (5,664 + 67.5% of SP) and all allies within 10 yards for 50% of that amount. Grants a charge of Holy Power.

Healing effectiveness diminishes for each player target beyond 6.
    Last edited by Malthanis; 2012-08-09 at 05:37 PM. Reason: That color makes eyes bleed

Quote Originally Posted by Dubalicious View Post
    40 yard range in MoP

WoG needs to be competitive with LoD which it really wasn't. Let's hope they don't overdo it (looking at you EF nerf!)
    No, Holy Radiance has a 10 yard effective range on its healing effect, you can cast it from 40 yards away yes, but it doesn't heal past 10 of the initial target

EDIT: Beaten to the point, but damn that yellow text strains the eyes

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    But how can they compare LoD or WoG, they are both used for different things. WoG for a single heal, LoD for a slight aoe heal. You are not going to use WoG to aoe heal people up, it would be too slow. I can see the transfer amount, but why not just nerf the transfer amount to beacon?

Make WoG do something extra for holy or make it heal extra as holy (extra extra lol), so it won't hurt ret/prot tuning. LoD in my opinion is quite weak as it is. I personally don't like where pala aoe is right now, even if people say it's good. I am thankful of the change to holy shock in MoP for aoe healing, that was a sweet move! It still has it's 6 seconds cd though even with the proc from HoR.

If they want to nerf LoD to make WoG more attractive, hopefully they will only nerf the % that gets beaconed, and not the direct heal.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks like our AoE may struggle quite a bit if our main AoE heal is going to be HR. We're great at burst AoE healing, but there's no way we can do much sustained healing with our current toolkit and mana regen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerfax View Post
    It looks like our AoE may struggle quite a bit if our main AoE heal is going to be HR. We're great at burst AoE healing, but there's no way we can do much sustained healing with our current toolkit and mana regen.
    Pretty much exactly how I feel. I don't even know about burst aoe healing outside of holy avenger. Right now I feel like we get forced into healing the damage that's going out now and not have mana to finish a fight, sure you could slack off but at that point any entertainment healing provided is pretty much gone. If only Holy Radiance had a mana cost that allowed us to throw a few out and not waste 50% of our mana pool in 15 seconds...
    Last edited by Stevemcqeen; 2012-08-10 at 11:34 PM.

Deleted
    Word of glory need to be better in single target healing but i think nerfing another ability (this case light of dawn) is the wrong aproach.

The trick would be to make word of glory a true finisher for heavy single target situations, and leave light of dawn powerfull for an AOE finisher. but how to make WOG stronger witout making it OP for pvp since its an instant cast spell ?

Well, the trick would be to make WOG a buffer for a spell that its mostly used in PVE and its not all that abused in PVP so i'm thinking holy light.

If using word of glory would increase the next 2 holy lights for say 25% (or whatever number to be balanced), i'm sure a lot of paladins would use WOG when they need to use single target healing unless they realy realy need AOE healing, in that case its realy suposed for us to use Light of Dawn anyways.