View Poll Results: Engineering profession OP in MOP yes or no

Voters
116. This poll is closed
  • Yes

19 16.38%
  • No

97 83.62%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Engineers have all that now? except the jet ski thing.

You just listed a bunch of things we already had when cata came out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    True but if your in a party with an enchanter you have a 1/5 chance to get the matts as well.
    As opposed to having a 1/5 chance to get the item so you CAN DE it in the first place?
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

10+ Year Old Account
    The glove enchant was super OP, but I believe it was nerfed in the latest beta build to bring it more in line with other profession perks. Everything else is negligible or only relevant in limited contexts.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    engineering is about FUN and fukkin about with a equal stat bonus but absolutely NO profit makin ability compared to every other prof.... so if you want a fun prof with a stat you go engi, if you want a goldmaking prof wih a stat then you do other profs.. simple.
    and besides,, engi has always had the things you mention ;p

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    The only thing engineering is good for is burst fights.
    I'd go as far as to say engineering is the worst profession for burst fights.
    Why?
    Because on burst fights (e.g. spine) on use trinkets (such as skull) are usually best. And these share a cooldown with the gloves tinker.
    As a result one often cannot use his profession bonus when it is needed the most.

When burst is needed more often (so that CD sharing with trinkets is no problem) you can time the glove tinker with class skills or vulnerability phases, but this often comes with a delay of the tinker which further dimishes its average worth compared to passive profession bonuses.

Engineering ist still a viable raid profession. But the days when it was best are gone since LK, when the boots were a raidsaver for melee with defile.
    Last edited by suicuique; 2012-08-21 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by suicuique View Post
    I'd go as far as to say engineering is the worst profession for burst fights.
    Why?
    Because on burst fights (e.g. spine) on use trinkets (such as skull) are usually best. And these share a cooldown with the gloves tinker.
    As a result one often cannot use his profession bonus when it is needed the most.

When burst is needed more often (so that CD sharing with trinkets is no problem) you can time the glove tinker with class skills or vulnerability phases, but this often comes with a delay of the tinker which further dimishes its average worth compared to passive profession bonuses.

Engineering ist still a viable raid profession. But the days when it was best are gone since LK, when the boots were a raidsaver for melee with defile.
    This. When learning heroic spine our raid group dps all bought valor point trinkets and those of us who are engineers realized that we could use either the trinket or glove enchant, not both. I ended up just sticking to my regular trinket and using the glove enchant for tendons. I am still sticking with engineering for MOP because I've had it since BC, but sometimes it is tempting to drop it and get something that doesn't have the limitations on its perks and also MAKES GOLD. :P

Eh, I have engineering on 1 toon, not going to redo him no matter what mists brings.

And nothing you listed was ground breaking or new, in fact, I think nearly everything you've mentioned we've had for at least 4+ years....

Cant possibly imagine how that would suddenly make it an OP prof.

And nothing engineering makes will ever be a cash cow because nothing sells for a high margin, and nothing sells with the requisite volume. Its leaps and bounds away from gems, or darkmoon cards, or wrath glyphs or potions/transmutable options. So dont level an engineer to make money.

You use it for all of it's useless crap. Like the world enlarger.
    85: Paladin | Druid | Shaman | Warlock | Death Knight | Mage | Hunter | Rogue | Warrior | Priest

Engineering is definitely best for burst fights. Even spine, engineering ties the other professions, or is trivially very close, or beats them if you are clever.

On spine, the tendons last for 18 seconds. When this fight is progression, that's 18, and then like 17.5 or something. Your trinket is up for 15, and the 3 remaining is enough to allow the 480 * 3 / 15 = 80 to average the same as the normal professions that average 80 the whole time.

Also relevantly, an engineer can switch his tinker to the instant fire blast for the fight, and throw that off the global 15 seconds after the tendon pops up, and can also throw a bomb if he's one of those classes.

Now- what if it's like every OTHER burst fight in the game? Where you might not want to use a terrible trinket? Then it's back to being obviously the best. What if the burst phases happen more often than the cooldown of your trinket, or if the duration is longer than 15 seconds exactly? Why, we're right back to being the best.

Engineering starts out awesome, but doesn't keep up through the expansion as much as other profs usually.

Deleted
    As always, engineering is a fun profession. Yes the benifits of the head + synopse is good at the start, but the dps gain from engineering will eventually be surpassed by other professions later on.

Deleted
    Well engineering in mop isn't OP although it was extremly OP in cata. The loot'a'rang gave engineers the ability to loot a mob from range giving them the chance to loot mobs before any one else could!!