Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    Just get isopropyl, its not expensive (like $2 max for a 16 oz bottle, of which you will use like .01 oz).

Also not sure how you could really have the heatsink on wrong... they generally only go on one way. Did you have it secured properly?

EDIT: You are sure you followed the installation methods for the i5 and not for like some AMD model somehow?
    It is the intel mounting bracket I installed, the amd one looks nothing like it.

Its on properly, the logo isn't upside down or anything and it fits.

Where could I buy some of the isopropyl, im in canada.

Would Shoppers Drug Mart have any?

or Staples/Future shop.

Unfortunately its midnight for me right now so I will have to wait until tomorrow to get some of this stuff.

But even then I don't think me not reapplying thermal paste everything is the issue because it looks like the heatsink isn't contacting the cpu at all.

It must be just hovering above it because the corners of the heatsink have paste on them but not the important center part.

it fits tightly when I have it properly mounted to the point of about half of the cpu being contacted which doesn't make much sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    is there an insulating part for the backplate you are missing?

I read about someone recommending an old tooth brush being used with high concentration isopropyl.

Does that sound like it would work or should I just use an old piece of cloth that was intended to be used to clean glasses.

10+ Year Old Account
    use a cotton ball

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes Shoppers Drugmart will Carry it, Wal-mart, Rexall / Pharma plus / any grocery store with a pharmacy built-in will have it.

And even better than cloth or cotton balls / q-tips -- I'd highly recommend using coffee filters.
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

I'd order some MX4 first. Probably the best cooling paste in the market.

I dunno bout you guys, but his cpu seems OC'd, I've got the same one and the stock speed is 3.4ghz while his is running at 3.8.. Apart from the thermal paste, that is likely contributing to the heat as well.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Had someone come into my shop a few months ago saying their CPU was over heating with the new heatsink they put on.... Did you take the plastic off the bottom of the headstink?

Quote Originally Posted by zeq View Post
    Had someone come into my shop a few months ago saying their CPU was over heating with the new heatsink they put on.... Did you take the plastic off the bottom of the headstink?
    Yes, even if I hadn't it would have melted already because my cpu was 105 degrees.

I've went ahead and put my computer back together and tightened my cooler on as much as possible because so far when I was building it I was being a huge pussy and being very gentle on everything I didn't really fully connect my sata cables, I freaked myself out a couple times too because the arm that holds the cpu to the motherboard was way harder than I expected.

Its 4 am right now and obviously no stores are open so Im sure I have air bubbles in the thermal paste but whatever.

Its idling at around 30 degrees.

But I notice that the 3rd core is always about 5-8 degrees cooler than the rest of them, is that normal or would that just have to do with the inconsistency of the thermal paste that I haven't replaced yet.

As in core 1 is 30-32 degrees.

core 2 is 32-34

core 3 is 25-27

core 4 is 31-32

When I started my computer my clock speed was pretty erratic too, going from 2500mhz all the way up to 4400mhz, at least thats what realtemp was telling me, now its settled between 2200 and 2500mhz

Even terribly applied thermal paste doesn't get you such extreme temperatures, something else must be wrong. Heatsink not seated properly is the most likely imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Even terribly applied thermal paste doesn't get you such extreme temperatures, something else must be wrong. Heatsink not seated properly is the most likely imo.
    He knows that. He posted pictures of the thermal paste not making contact with the middle of the heat sink earlier in the thread.

@OP Some things on a computer need to be show who is boss, even if they make scary cracking sounds: RAM, CPU socket, sometimes tight SATA ports.

CPU sockets and RAM being the worst. They usually sound crunchy like you are destroying them. The bolts for the cooler should most definitely be pretty tight. You don't want to break your motherboard, but you want there to be as little space between the heat sink and the processor as possible so you can use as little thermal paste as possible while still getting it to spread evenly across the whole chip.

Quote Originally Posted by SerialKiller View Post
    When I started my computer my clock speed was pretty erratic too, going from 2500mhz all the way up to 4400mhz, at least thats what realtemp was telling me, now its settled between 2200 and 2500mhz
    Sounds like you have automatic overclocking enabled somewhere in your UEFI. This could possibly include some really high overvolting. Can you take a screenshot of CPU-Z when you run prime?

Same thing happened to me. Taking it in