Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I think if you are going to use it for purely playing, its pretty unnecessary to have a 30' one. Even the 27' is a little too much imo. Ofc it depends on the distance between you and the screen.

27" is the max resolution you want for gaming. 30" is too big and will push your GPU to the max.
    Playing since 2007.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    27" is the max resolution you want for gaming. 30" is too big and will push your GPU to the max.
    Not true, not when you go for a 2560x1600 monitor.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by EricakaDarvin View Post
    Remind your spouse that 16GB is OVERKILL for even playing 5 games of crysis 2 at once. You are better off with 4-8GB ram. And you dont need 1k watts. Not even close. More like 600. And I think intel core i7 2600k comes w/ own heat sink. EVEN IF YOU ARE OVERCLOCKING, the heat sink will handle it. No seperate cooling is needed. Just make sure you have good airflow in case, and you don't face fans towards a tight corner. Hope this helps so you don't waste that much money.
    Stock coolers are junk, get a third party cooler. 16gb isn't overkill, far from it and as for the PSU it mostly depends on the quality of the hardware, rather then wattage. Go for a corsair 650 PSU since they're relatively cheap and among the best in the market.

10+ Year Old Account
    16GB is overkill for gaming, you'd be good with 8GB.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Stock coolers are junk, get a third party cooler. 16gb isn't overkill, far from it and as for the PSU it mostly depends on the quality of the hardware, rather then wattage. Go for a corsair 650 PSU since they're relatively cheap and among the best in the market.
    Stock coolers are fine. They handle what they are built to handle and more.

16 GiB and (arguably) 8 GiB of RAM is overkill for gaming purposes. 650w PSU are okay, more than necessary. Corsair PSUs are decent.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Stock coolers are fine. They handle what they are built to handle and more.

16 GiB and (arguably) 8 GiB of RAM is overkill for gaming purposes. 650w PSU are okay, more than necessary. Corsair PSUs are decent.
    Opinions are opinions. Stock coolers aren't fine for me. They cool, they don't cool very well and they're loud. Considering you spend ~€200 euro on a(n overclockable) cpu, spending 30 more to get a decent cooler is a no-brainer.

For gaming only, yea I guess 16gb more than you actually need. As for the PSU's again, imo 'decent' doesn't describe the quality accurately.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2012-08-12 at 07:03 PM.

Wow, no one has mentioned the korean IPS imports yet?

Same source panel factory, 2560x1440 27" and they are about half the price of dell/hp 27" here even after shipping or local store markups. I bought a U3011 on sale awhile back, and right now I could nearly get three 27" for the same $.

There are quite a few different ones to choose from (barebones, more ports, scaler/noscaler etc) and some of them will do >60hz consistently.
    Last edited by Aluminum; 2012-08-12 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Opinions are opinions. Stock coolers aren't fine for me. They cool, they don't cool very well and they're load. Considering you spend ~€200 euro on a(n overclockable) cpu, spending 30 more to get a decent cooler is a no-brainer.

For gaming only, yea I guess 16gb more than you actually need. As for the PSU's again, imo 'decent' doesn't describe the quality accurately.
    It's an odd opinion to have. It's more than perfectly fine. An aftermarket CPU heatsink is undoubtedly better in every aspect, but superfluous for most users.
    Fact is that they are perfectly fine. My opinion is that I'd always have an aftermarket CPU heatsink.

All right. Corsair PSUs are in decline compared to the market at large, but are decent and work if you look at the isolated units. They have their issues, and many they are. Coil whines, agressive fan curves in certain units, overspecced models, and only using a single rail are issues that are not frequent in all units or models, but is enough to not be able to put them in the forefront.

I own an older 28.5" monitor (no longer in production), and think it's as large as I'd want to go... I've played quite a bit on a friends mac with a 30", and actually think it's too big for some games. Most of it has to do with where you sit, how deep your desk is, etc. If you have a small desk, the monitor is going to feel very much right in your face, and that isn't always the best thing, even as grand as it may look.

Next monitor for me will definitely be a 27".

Quote Originally Posted by Aluminum View Post

Same source panel factory, 2560x1440 27" and they are about half the price of dell/hp 27" here even after shipping or local store markups. I bought a U3011 on sale awhile back, and right now I could nearly get three 27" for the same $.

There are quite a few different ones to choose from (barebones, more ports, scaler/noscaler etc) and some of them will do >60hz consistently.
    It has been mentioned, there's even a thread about it.
    Playing since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by adàm22 View Post
    i play on my 40 inch sony tv with a radeon hd4670 with no trouble
    Physical size of the screen has nothing to do with performance. 40" with 720p native resolution.. Almost anything can run things on it.

IPS panel is a compromise between TN and better panels. What it lacks on response time it wins in picture quality, but still doesn't reach the better panels on the market.

Honestly though, 120hz is the only real thing going for TN panels, and anything less I wouldn't even consider at this point if I were to pick up a TN one.

I ended up going with the 27 inch dell, and it's the perfect size. 30 would have been overkill.

Also, price differences and trying to cut costs are a non issue for me. I personally know nothing about computers, so I don't question what he decided to put in it

I use a 40" at 1980 x 1080 samsung LED. I like it.

---------- Post added 2012-08-12 at 08:39 PM ----------

Don't be silly. Size has nothing to do with it. Resolution does.

1366 x 768 on a 40" screen is going to use less GPU than 1980 x 1080 on a 21" screen.
    Last edited by kondura; 2012-08-12 at 06:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aluminum View Post

yes they are the same panel, but they are the poorly manufactured ones that didn't make the cut to be a Dell or Apple

---------- Post added 2012-08-12 at 01:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post

IPS panel is a compromise between TN and better panels. What it lacks on response time it wins in picture quality, but still doesn't reach the better panels on the market.
    IPS is not really a comprimise, it goes: IPS>VA>.....................TN

there are of course several kinds of IPS and VA panels, and depending on the quality some VA panels will outperform the lower end IPS panels

also, as this has been stated over and over and over and over and over again: you cannot compare the latency between TN and IPS, they do not function in the same way, it's like comparing the torque from a v-8 to a rocket engine

Quote Originally Posted by kondura View Post
    I use a 40" at 1980 x 1080 samsung LED. I like it.

---------- Post added 2012-08-12 at 08:39 PM ----------

Don't be silly. Size has nothing to do with it. Resolution does.

1366 x 768 on a 40" screen is going to use less GPU than 1980 x 1080 on a 21" screen.
    When I talk about monitors I obviously mean, 27" = 2560x1440p, 30" = 2560x1600p.
    Playing since 2007.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I talk about monitors I obviously mean, 27" = 2560x1440p, 30" = 2560x1600p.
    So an extra 11% pixels are the difference between comfortable and "pushing your gpu to the max"? That's absolute nonsense.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

I wouldn't rate IPS above VA, to be quite honest. They are faster, but otherwise I'd prefer a VA panel every time.

Good luck finding a VA panel these days though, as Samsung renamed theirs PLS.

Got a Dell U2711 and a Samsung 305T. To be honest, I prefer the Dell one for connectivity (DVI, DisplayPort, Components, etc.) and image quality though my 305T (DVI only) used to have crisp image and nice colours too (92% gamut bla bla bla...).

Anyway, my Samsung had an issue (like most 305T owners after 2 or 3 years), the screen started flickering, it's something related to the capacitor of the screen or something and had to RMA it once while my warranty was still valid. The monitor worked great for a year but now it flickers again. I'm now using the monitor for one of my linux boxes that sleep somewhere in my appartment (kind of a waste but eh, the image is shitty anyway). Customer support was OK I guess (I live in Montreal, Canada) but I'll never go with Samsung again, at least not for a computer monitor.

As for gaming perfs, I run my games in native resolution on a i7-2600k with an SLI setup of Palit GTX460 Sonic Platinum (1GB). BF3 plays well as long as I don't activate 4xAA (IMO the monitor pitch and its huge resolution lowers the aliasing). As for WoW, D3, SC2 and L4D2 they run smooth with max details.

Coding on such a monitor is nice BTW, though I still prefer using dual screens setup in a dev environment.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I wouldn't rate IPS above VA, to be quite honest. They are faster, but otherwise I'd prefer a VA panel every time.

Good luck finding a VA panel these days though, as Samsung renamed theirs PLS.
    Isn't Eizo Foris 2331 still a VA panel?