Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Truegold prices dropping to stupid levels (what the hell is this guy doing?)

The average price for Truegold on my server is 300-350 gold and has remained steady for months. But then this guy appeared....

At the start of the week someone listed 20+ truegold for 250g each, massively undercutting everyone else then for some reason people started undercutting him. When he saw this he took down all of his auctions and reslisted them at EVEN LOWER prices, even if someone only listed a single auction, and this has kept happening all week.

This one guy now has a full page of Truegold for 130g each and I don't know what to do... I can't even make it for that cheap. I'm certainly not going to list mine at that price.

I'm tempted to just buy them all and reset the price but I have no idea if it will even sell now (or if he'll just do it again).

Could this just be a coincidence with the expansion ending, or has this guy personally destroyed the entire market? I really don't think it's because of MoP comming soon, the price hadn't lowered at all until this guy came along, in fact it was slowly going up.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2012-08-10 at 07:59 PM.

There was a recent issue with people duplicating items. Gems/mounts/anything worth decent gold. Since they duplicated them, they don't care how much they make because its all profit. Be careful buying them all up, they may have duplicated alot more than they are posting. My guess is, and could be wrong, but the truegold on your server may be over with for profit for the time being.

10+ Year Old Account
    someone is complaining that normally expensive crafting materials are on the AH for a much more affordable price

/boggle
    ill probably be infracted for this post

MoP is getting ready to launch so they maybe just cleaning out bank and bag slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    someone is complaining that normally expensive crafting materials are on the AH for a much more affordable price

/boggle
    I sell Truegold, not buy it. It's my main source of income.

You could buy a load up then sell them on halfway through mop when no-one's bothering to make them. Thing is, the only 'timeless' recipe that needs them is Vial of the Sands.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I sell Truegold, not buy it. It's my main source of income.
    Source's of income come and go. i used to sell saltstone legplates for 6k, now theyre 1 k because people keep selling them for less

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if this isn't duping, then I don't think it is "coincidence" with the expansion ending. It is probably easily on purpose because the expansion is ending. From what I've been reading on guild forums, lots of guild are starting (or have been) dumping mats likes this. Especially ones like truegold, that won't have much value in terms of leveling professions going forward. I imagine lots of people could personally even put up 20-50 truegold for low prices just to not get stuck with them.

I'd think about dumping a lot of mats that have no profession-leveling value now, before they become worth even less.

What puzzles me is why people would buy truegold.. I don't think I have needed one of those for at least a year.

But yes, people hacking the game to duplicate items are a plague these days to people who sell stuff in the AH.

Deleted
    What the person said above he may have just had a load in his bank. sometimes it can be a ynuqye crafting item. I dont blame him for wanting the space. If its so cheap and you see a use for it then buy it up.

It's the end of expac dump-a-thon.

If you think he's selling low, just wait until MoP comes out.

I used that very intelligent system to lower the prices of truegold, int/agi/str gems, and belt buckles.
    I managed to upset the whole horde side in 3 days, and afterwards, when the prices went up, I made a huge profit from all those items I bought when they tried to undercut me (I would simply buy the now cheaper items, and save them for later).
    Mind, at the time, truegold was on the high 800s, buckles around 450, and gems on the high 500. I lowered them down to 200, 90-100, and 100-150 (And bought most of them). Then, when prices went back up to normal, I sold them all for the normal high prices ;P

Managing this was made easier with the mobile app auction house :>

Cut-throat economics 101.

PS: I used no duping. I spent a lot of time gathering the mats, crafting, and mailing the stuff between my chars sometimes to finish crafting, and then mailing back to AH chars.
    The time spent gathering/crafting and planning when to begin my bloody coup was well worth it tho...

I'd probably buy them up. You may be able to relist them for more gold or wait to sell them during MoP. Just be careful about how many to buy.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I applaud people who undercut the over priced market. Good for them.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by mack8772 View Post
    MoP is getting ready to launch so they maybe just cleaning out bank and bag slots.
    normally I'd say that is the case, however, the guy actively took down 20+ auctions and relisted ALL of them for a much lower price, forcing down the market to insanely low numbers. Clearing out bank and bag slots is one thing, but idk why someone would be that focused on it to drive down a market by more than 50% with so many items. In a sense, he's losing out 3k+ gold, which might not be much to some people, but he's losing out on it while also losing out on a lot of time just relisting stuff.

back on topic, he's trying to crash the market. on my server (Shadowsong Alliance) gems were at a reliatvely high number, red for about 150g, orange for 30g-40g, others for about 15g. Then someone crashed the market, everything except red went to 3g-4g (yeah...people could vendor them for that), and red dropped to about 80g-90g instantly. He even said in trade chat "I'm going to crash the gem market on this server". It seems to be a trend lately for some asinine reason people are getting a kick out of crashing the markets.

Truegold is still needed for VotS. And if you can afford it, why not buy some gear so your alt can do LFR the day they hit 85 instead of having to wait a couple of days.

My guess is the price drop is due to the rumor that the c/d was going away in MoP. So there is a lot less reason to hold them; may be better off dumping them and stockpiling something else.

What puzzles me is that he seems to have intentionly driven the price down by 60%. He could easily have sold them at 330 gold each.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chireru93 View Post
    normally I'd say that is the case, however, the guy actively took down 20+ auctions and relisted ALL of them for a much lower price, forcing down the market to insanely low numbers. Clearing out bank and bag slots is one thing, but idk why someone would be that focused on it to drive down a market by more than 50% with so many items. In a sense, he's losing out 3k+ gold, which might not be much to some people, but he's losing out on it while also losing out on a lot of time just relisting stuff.

back on topic, he's trying to crash the market. on my server (Shadowsong Alliance) gems were at a reliatvely high number, red for about 150g, orange for 30g-40g, others for about 15g. Then someone crashed the market, everything except red went to 3g-4g (yeah...people could vendor them for that), and red dropped to about 80g-90g instantly. He even said in trade chat "I'm going to crash the gem market on this server". It seems to be a trend lately for some asinine reason people are getting a kick out of crashing the markets.
    why is this asinine just because YOU yourself arent making a profit? maybe he's just making things more affordable for people who arent insanely rich. Maybe he gets a kick out of it. I find it hilarious myself, and even funnier that you had to come here and whine about it.

Things you can make for profit come and go. This one is now gone. Move along.

---------- Post added 2012-08-10 at 01:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    But what puzzles me is that he seems to have intentionly driven the price down by 60%. He could easily have sold them at 330 gold each.
    How are you sure they aren't say, already at gold cap and are now just having fun messing with the market?

It can be duped. There is an actually big chance that they are.
    I would be careful of buying them if I were you, just report it, and Blizzard would check if they are duped and remove them if they are.

They have removed a lot of mounts from my server, there are few left, sometimes its 1 or 2 mounts when weeks ago it was 9 - 10 mounts.

Honestly, truegold is near-useless ATM, the only thing that uses it that isn't surpassed by 5-man loot is "Vial of the sands", and that is hardly a huge market, so people who stockpiled truegold bars are by now trying to get rid of them to free up bagspace, and usually pricing low because they know that current demand is near-zero...