The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Just Downloading Rift.....

Hey, so, a friend of mine has persuaded me to try out Rift with him, So i'm currently downloading it, and i just wondered if you guys have any tips or advice you would give a new player, or would'v liked someone to tell you, when you started?

I've played WoW since just after TBC release, and apart from that Played Aion for around a year, i haven't really read up much on Rift so not sure what to expect

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    Hey, so, a friend of mine has persuaded me to try out Rift with him, So i'm currently downloading it, and i just wondered if you guys have any tips or advice you would give a new player, or would'v liked someone to tell you, when you started?

I've played WoW since just after TBC release, and apart from that Played Aion for around a year, i haven't really read up much on Rift so not sure what to expect.

Here what to expect and what's changed:

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ml#post3953340

There is a ton of information throughout these threads should get you started.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn... I was right. It's a new friggin game since v1.0 - so much stuff added in the last 1.5 years. Thanks for the list - I was looking for that.

Top 5 things!

1. You ultimately get 6 roles, and respecs for each are cheap! If you want to tank, don't pick Mage. If you want to heal, don't pick Warrior or, to a lesser degree, Rogue. If you want to DPS from range, don't pick Warrior, to a lesser degree now. Picking up a "support" role early on will give you a shorter instance queue.
    2. You get 3 professions, but kinda need 2 gathering per 1 crafting. But there are only 3 gathering professions... If you're going to have multiple toons, consider going all gathering on your first (or 2 gathering an Runecrafting, which is a pretty self-contained crafting prof).
    3. Joining a high-level guild will get you bonus gold and rewards through guild perks, as well as certain quality of life perks (shorter cooldown on Soulwalk, for example). And probably other benefits - my guild has a "free artifacts" bank tab, some sets of which give you handy rewards.
    4. Your 4 pillars of leveling are: PvP, IAs, Random Dungeons, and Questing. Some of these overlap more readily than others (questing and dungeons weave in and out of each other). IAs will get you to 50 (60 now) most quickly, but you'll miss a whole lot.
    5. Do the Epic Story quests! They're long and involved, but give great rewards. I'm not sure what they look like in SL, put did provide early raid-competitive gear in Chocolate.

As a bonus, try to find the zone puzzle and cairn as soon as you can, so that you have maximum usage of the items you receive - if you end up being able to use 'em.