Hepatits C scare

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment and Hays Medical Center have been working collaboratively to notify patients who had procedures in the cardiac catheterization laboratory from May 24, 2010, to Sept. 22, 2010, of potential exposure to hepatitis C virus.

David Kwiatkoski, a contract radiology technologist who had worked at Hays Medical Center during this time frame, was arrested on July 19 and charged with obtaining controlled substances by fraud and tampering with a consumer product in New Hampshire.

According to an affidavit filed in federal court in New Hampshire, he allegedly engaged in drug diversion and infected a cluster of patients with hepatitis C while employed at Exeter Hospital in New Hampshire.

Patients were advised of the federal charges against the former contract healthcare worker and encouraged to be tested through KDHE for hepatitis C at no charge.

"Our highest priority at this time is to identify patients who may be infected with hepatitis C so they can receive appropriate medical care," said Robert Moser, MD, KDHE Secretary and State Health Officer.

Hays Medical Center is contacting all patients who have been tested to explain their laboratory test results and provide recommendations for follow-up medical care as needed. In addition, Hays Medical Center is also following up with any patients who have not yet sought testing.

Patients who have questions about hepatitis C or their laboratory results can contact Hays Medical Center at 877-261-7140 or KDHE at 877-427-7317.

KDHE has established a webpage with information about hepatitis C, the ongoing investigation, the laboratory testing process, and results of current laboratory testing and records review.

Key points to date include:

-In total, 474 patients were identified as having procedures in the cardiac catheterization laboratory at Hays Medical Center from May 24, 2010, to Sept. 22, 2010. This number includes at least 54 patients who have been identified as deceased from various causes prior to the current notification process and are therefore not available for new laboratory tests.

-As of August 9, 2012, 334 patients have submitted blood specimens for testing through KDHE.

-311 patients have tested negative for HCV.

-Based on tests completed at the NHPHL, two patients have tested positive for HCV with a strain that is closely related to the cluster of patients in New Hampshire.

-For the remaining patients who have submitted blood specimens, either their laboratory tests are still in process or they have not completed epidemiologic interviews.

-KDHE will be contacting those patients who have not been tested through KDHE to determine if they have been tested outside of the process we established.
    http://www.ksn.com/news/local/story/...NVWuBY-dg.cspx

TLR. A guy had Hep-C and decided he would stick himself with the needle that was intended to be used on a patient, and infect them as well. Talk about taking trolling to a whole new level.

Its not exactly taking trolling to a new level; this guy is a public menace and should get jail for life.

As should many "trolls".

Deleted
    Dick move. I hope he faces some hard jailtime for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    Its not exactly taking trolling to a new level; this guy is a public menace and should get jail for life.
    Yeah, I'm not sure if I'd call it trolling. Trolling isn't usually harmful. This, on the other hand, is, in case you haven't noticed. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    Id say give him hep C since he seems to think its so fun to give to others.

He has it. That's how he was giving it to others. He would stick himself with the syringe before it was used on a patient.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder what goes on in the minds of people like this. What a dick

10+ Year Old Account
    im not for capitol punishment but honestly, the amount of people who could have been killed, infected or infect others would be not very happy to look at. thankfully, it seems not too many people ended up sick a result. what he did was essentially "bio-terrorism" in my mind,

10+ Year Old Account
    "Obtaining controlled substances by fraud and tampering with a consumer product" doesn't sound like a big enough charge for something this dangerous. Tell me it's a lot worse than it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    "Obtaining controlled substances by fraud and tampering with a consumer product" doesn't sound like a big enough charge for something this dangerous. Tell me it's a lot worse than it sounds.
    If it had been hiv instead of hepatitis c, he would have been charged with attempted murder here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundered70 View Post
    I wonder what goes on in the minds of people like this. What a dick
    1 liter of I didn't deserve this
    1 liter of world must pay for this
    1 spoon of Insanity

Mix in brain and "enjoy" the results?