Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by rezoacken View Post
    Yeah but then how do you call people that dont play a ton but are actually good ?
    they are called good players that play casually. I don't understand this mindset that casual=bad.
    Last edited by Setekh; 2012-08-11 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallanna View Post
    Sorry, that was sarcasm!
    I'm pretty casual myself and I don't consider myself bad. Hence this whole 'casual = bad' argument annoys me!
    All right Sarcasm doesn't always translate well over the internet

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    good players that play casually.... I don't understand this mindset at all.
    Yeah but the question was aimed at those making the shortcut casual = bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, that's pretty dumb. And it is a trolly thing. It has no logical basis. Utter bullshit.

I don't know what your mean by "heroic content=most difficult" though. Do you mean like personal story?
    Well, it is the common terminology today whether you agree with it or not :S
    And for the record, I do not equate casual with bad. I don't think casual means inexperienced either and I think there are very few truly "bad" players.

As far as heroic content, I'm thinking of the most tightly tuned content which will require the greatest amount of mastery of their profession and teamwork skills. Such as the explorable mode dungeons.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    Even though I've clocked up a very large number of hours of gaming time over the years...and it's been said that I'm a decently competent healer - I still regard myself as a casual player.

I get an allergic reaction to anything that seems like a job...I'll play for 48 hours straight - but I won't spend an hour grinding for leather to make new underpants...and I won't commit to being online for 6pm for raid start at 6:30pm - even if I'm on every night for 6 hours...and spend a lot of time at work reading about tactics, play styles etc etc.

I wanna do fun things...and I wanna do what I wanna do, when I wanna do it...so if that makes me casual, even if I clock up the hours and practice the play...I'm pretty chilled with that.
    that is casual and there is nothing wrong with that

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rezoacken View Post
    All right Sarcasm doesn't always translate well over the internet
    Yeaaahhh, scientists should work on that. It makes it complicated. Sorry haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Well, it is the common terminology today whether you agree with it or not :S
    I know, but it's dumb. Precisely because:

And for the record, I do not equate casual with bad. I don't think casual means inexperienced either and I think there are very few truly "bad" players.
    ^ as you just said. XD

Really don't have to spend a lot of time in most MMOs these days. Unless it's some artificial barrier. Can play 3-6 hours weekly and do like everything relevant to you usually. Well, except for the sandbox-y MMOs.

As far as heroic content, I'm thinking of the most tightly tuned content which will require the greatest amount of mastery of their profession and teamwork skills. Such as the explorable mode dungeons.
    Ahh. I see. Those don't seem very hardcore either though. xAC took about an hour & change after a run or two.

Though we don't really have an average running time for later expo modes to make an definite judge of one way or the other. So caution and all that.

High hopes doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as high expectations.

Hopes are something you want, expectations are something you expect.

Obviously you hope the game is the best ever, but you can't necessarily expect that.

But I digress, it's silly word play. I also fell pray to the over-hype of D3. My advice is to look forward to the game, and be excited for it, but don't think it's going to solve world hunger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Again, it's not forced.
    Point? If you desire something, and see it as progression for your character, and that something takes a grind, then that progression takes a grind.

Just because a grind isn't required, doesn't mean it's not a grind. Just because a form of progression isn't required, doesn't mean it isn't a form of progression.

Technically, I'm not required to go through Heroics, or even Normals anymore (thanks to LFR), in order to progress in WoW. I can down every LFR boss, go "Kay, seen all the story." and be satisfied with my personal progression. The only difference here is that not moving on to Heroics means not improving my character's statistical power.

And how is that any different from choosing not to improve my character's aesthetics through things like legendary weapons, wrt personal progression?
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-11 at 11:41 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Point? If you desire something, and see it as progression for your character, and that something takes a grind, then that progression takes a grind.
    Technically, I desire to collect a lot of mushrooms. /hardcore

So after playing the 1 hour stress test today I must say...I am completely blown away by this game. Remember this is coming from an avid WoW player from back in the day.

From the hour that I played (I rushed through a lot of stuff) this game is absolutely INCREDIBLE! The combat, the classes, the character customization, the 2 zones I experienced (norn and charr starting zone)...THe dynamic events, the sounds, the music, the Dynamic Events.

This game has really blown me out of the water with only 1 hour played. Arenanet has done an AWESOME job, I can't even type my emotions for how excited I am about this game!

Anyway I hope to discuss more about this game here in a while!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tharjax View Post
    So after playing the 1 hour stress test today I must say...I am completely blown away by this game. Remember this is coming from an avid WoW player from back in the day.

From the hour that I played (I rushed through a lot of stuff) this game is absolutely INCREDIBLE! The combat, the classes, the character customization, the 2 zones I experienced (norn and charr starting zone)...THe dynamic events, the sounds, the music, the Dynamic Events.

This game has really blown me out of the water with only 1 hour played. Arenanet has done an AWESOME job, I can't even type my emotions for how excited I am about this game!

Anyway I hope to discuss more about this game here in a while!!
    I'm happy you enjoyed it, I think a lot of people are coming from other games and I even have a few that are fresh to the MMO scene. They all seem excited, and it's very good for the community and devs to really feel for the game because that's what brings the community up tight and that's what makes the dev (I'm assuming of course) really be proud of the work they done and continue to do so. That's the main reason why I think the hype about gw2 is not really over the top, it's a feedback from actual gameplay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gisei View Post
    The bulk of my hype came from actually playing the game, so I feel it is mostly legit. It is a very good game, and worth getting excited over, just don't get unrealistic expectations.
    Pretty much this.
    I had high hopes for SWToR until I played the beta.
    I had high hopes for Diablo 3 until I played the beta.
    I had high hopes for Guild Wars 2 until I played the beta, at which time my hopes increased. The game really is fantastic. One of the larger draws to GW2 for me is the fundamental design of splitting WvW PvP and sPvP, scaling PvE down to a size suitable for friends yet allowing people to join multiple guilds to stay in touch and easily group up with dozens, if not hundreds of people.

But mostly, nothing compares to the complete, utter, awesomeness that I've seen from Anet since BWE1. The amount of feedback they've listened to from players and changes they've made in a timely, well thought out and elegant fashion is astounding. I really can't talk them up enough in this regard. They've made fairly large changes without noticable ill-effects on the game in a matter of days/hours rathar than the 6month/1year timeframce I was used to that littered the game with bugs.
    Anet have basically restored my faith in competent developers. I usually look at changes being made in MMO's and can fairly easily, and quickly see the flaws and backward steps being made. This is not the case with Anet to date. They've made excellent changes so far, and had the forthought to buff/nerf in small incriments and let players test and they're not afraid to admit something needs work. I'd happily hi-five everyone from Anet. Can't say that about any developers from any other games I've played (other than Valve).