Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Warlock or Mage for MoP?

Having raided with a mage back in WOTLK. I'm debating if I should pick up my mage for MoP or level my Warlock for MoP.

Any input?

Warlocks will say Mage.
    Mages will say Warlock.

The grass is always greener on the other side.
    Hi Sephurik

what volitar said is so true. Though even as a lock i would say lock in mists as i really like the direction that locks are going, we are getting 3 very different specs which all fill very different roles
    I need about tree fiddy

mages are always at top, warlocks almost always.. with this in mind you make your choice

6 weeks away for mop, try to lvl both, get a feel of how both classes works, read up and watch videos of the changes in MOP, then decide

or simply go warlock, we have cookies (and new pets)
    Last edited by A Dark Knight; 2012-08-11 at 02:50 PM. Reason: spell
    Be feared, or be fuel

The right answer is:

ALWAYS mages ALWAYS, they are the best class in both PvP and PvE.

You cant go wrong playing mage, you will never get nerfed, you always receive "compensations" and end even better.

Blizzard executives play mages because there is no other logical explanation to mage's status since WOTLK.

The ONLY reason not to play a mage is:
    - you like something else "thematically"
    Last edited by darthades; 2012-08-11 at 05:33 PM.

im a mage and ill say mage in the beginning and warlock for the end of the expansion.

Don't roll a class because you think it's more powerful. Pick the class/spec you enjoy most.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 6kle View Post
    Don't roll a class because you think it's more powerful. Pick the class/spec you enjoy most.
    otherwise you will have the problem i am in now....
    many years ago i asked my girlfriend, now my wife, which class should i pick in this wow game she was playing. I asked her: "which one hits harder?" and the answer was...destro locks! (this was mid tbc).

From then on, destro got nerfed every single patch (i discovered that word, "nerf", one day that my shadowbolt was hitting for 1200 instead of 1500 the day before did and i asked her why...."you got nerfed") and it´s mechanichs have been getting more and more complicated, clunky and unrealistic (corruption and shadowflame as destro?¿?¿?).

So, dont pick your class on how powerful it is now.
    Try all of them, choose the one you feel more comfortable with and pray for it not beein reworked to crap every single expansion. NPI.

Well if you're doing pvp, go mage since they have 2 viable specs, locks only have 1. But I would say that Demo and Affliction are really fun right now. Destro is a niche spec though, low skill cap in PVE but high skill cap in PVP.

Pick the mage. Stay away from Locks
    This was what I thought about Locktanking before Scumbag Greg took it away

Envý - Kult der Schattenflamme

warlocks look like they have some good changes coming.

Deleted
    sugarfree is correct, if you play pvp stick with the mage, if you play pve stick with the warlock. mages get very little in MoP from what ive heard where as warlocks get pretty much a complete overhaul that makes them easier to play, more fun and more powerful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well. You are on the warlock forums....

So I'd say warlock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Locks smell like death, blood, and Jägermeister. Mages smell like polyester, plastic, and febreze.

your choice

Deleted
    suddenly in the mood for Jägermeister.

Go with lock, otherwise your just another mage

I honestly feel mages are too boring compared to warlocks.

Both classes are equally valid option in PVE with typically mages being easier to play in general than warlocks. PVP wise again both are valid options but have different play styles warlocks are more about putting out pressure to wear down opponents, mages tend to be a bit more burst-y in the way they kill things.

Personally I enjoy my warlock more and am inclined to suggest a warlock over a mage because that is what I enjoy playing. For you I suggest you play around with both classes on the PTR/beta if you can because they will give the most accurate ideas on playstyles for MoP and just go with one you enjoy. Or alternatively you could go both, nobody said you had to be one or the other :P

Deleted
    I've played both Warlock and Mage and will definitely say that while Mages can offer slightly better output across a range of fights, Warlocks are ultimately more fun in the long run and have inifintely more variation between specs in MoP than mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyxxi View Post
    I've played both Warlock and Mage and will definitely say that while Mages can offer slightly better output across a range of fights, Warlocks are ultimately more fun in the long run and have inifintely more variation between specs in MoP than mages.
    I would tend to agree with this statement. (I myself was debating between my Mage and Lock, but leaned toward the lock as it seems like it will be more fun in PVP...and I want to try a semi-petless Afflock. )

I will burn your soul.