Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Displacer Beast vs old Vanish woes

Question for people on the beta regarding the new druid vanish talent Displacer Beast:

What happens when you use this spell while a nuke is coming your way? Is it like the old vanish?

Example, I see a lock's chaos bolt coming at me and I press displacer beast while the nuke is still traveling towards me. Will it hit me or will it simply miss like with old vanish/shadowmeld?

If it does hit, will it break stealth right away? Is it buggy like the old vanish, breaking stealth right away?

1-2 builds ago it would be like playing the roulette. Sometimes spells on the air would break it, sometimes no. I think it has something to do with how spells deal damage internally. Best example is having a spell bolt follow you in flight form. The damage has been dealt long ago but you can fly around the entire zone with the graphic following you.

So it's a matter of playing with milliseconds of damage vs time entering stealth.

From the time I played around with it a bit on the PTR, I found it fairly frustrating to use and felt I was getting popped regularly. I might have been doing something stupid though, so I'm not to say OMGWTFBLIZZ yet.

It would be cool to see that 'mechanic' in DB. Ill never forget my days of Vanishes 8/10 Death Coils in duels haha

Quote Originally Posted by yolmez86 View Post
    Question for people on the beta regarding the new druid vanish talent Displacer Beast:

What happens when you use this spell while a nuke is coming your way? Is it like the old vanish?

Example, I see a lock's chaos bolt coming at me and I press displacer beast while the nuke is still traveling towards me. Will it hit me or will it simply miss like with old vanish/shadowmeld?

If it does hit, will it break stealth right away? Is it buggy like the old vanish, breaking stealth right away?
    It will always hit you, and if you're in stealth at that point, it will break it. This is not a bug.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    It will always hit you, and if you're in stealth at that point, it will break it. This is not a bug.
    QFT. Blizz stands by Vanish not being bugged. When using an ability like Vanish it comes down to your latency and server/client communication. Your client shows you vanished before the spell hit, but the server says it hit you before you vanished. This isn't a bug.

The hint is Displacer Beast is not a Vanish.. it just places you in Prowl, if you're hit while in Prowl you get spotted, as usual. So if you use it while a spell is travelling towards you it will likely break stealth. It all depends on how lag is doing in both the attacker and the druid.

DB is not a very appealing talent, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    QFT. Blizz stands by Vanish not being bugged. When using an ability like Vanish it comes down to your latency and server/client communication. Your client shows you vanished before the spell hit, but the server says it hit you before you vanished. This isn't a bug.
    Vanish doesn't break from hits. Stealth does. Rogues do not actually enter stealth until Vanish ends.

Quote Originally Posted by LeyrHao View Post
    The hint is Displacer Beast is not a Vanish.. it just places you in Prowl, if you're hit while in Prowl you get spotted, as usual. So if you use it while a spell is travelling towards you it will likely break stealth. It all depends on how lag is doing in both the attacker and the druid.

DB is not a very appealing talent, in my opinion.
    I've been playing with Feline Swiftness on the PTR and finding it quite a bit more enjoyable than DB. I suspect that Wild Charge will be superior in arenas and some PvE scenarios in the future, but that bit of extra speed is quite fun in random BGs and it seems to stack with everything.

One thing that isn't often mentioned is that balance druids get cloak of shadows on a 2 min cd if they symbiosis with a rogue, which will make it a reliable stealth for rbgs and some arena comps anyway. Which is actually kind of cool when you think about it, it will be not often very used but in some very specific situations you could catch people by surprise with a reliable re stealth, let you reset in arenas etc.

Honestly though, I don't see how it will ever compete with the other talents on the tier, from what I have seen there are very few people who are planning on picking it up. I wonder if they will end up having to buff or replace it.

I'm definitely not picking it. If I want to escape I can do it 4 times in a minute through Wild Charge (Humanoid or Travel Form) rather than once a minute, while at the same time I get a gap closer with it. They need to spice Displacer Beast up to match the other 2 talents (although Feline Swiftness is not that strong either).

Don't underestimate Feline Swiftness. Right now, it stacks with absolutely everything except mounts.

Night Elf druids can actually stealth at 150% movespeed. (15% FS + 15% Cat + 8% Boots + 5% Racial stealth speed)

Don't underestimate Feline Swiftness. Right now, it stacks with absolutely everything except mounts.

Night Elf druids can actually stealth at 150% movespeed. (15% FS + 15% Cat + 8% Boots + 5% Racial stealth speed)
    Don't forget the major glyph! No speed penalty for prowl.
    Last edited by Juvencus; 2012-08-13 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Typo

Deleted

+ the pvp set bonus. In fact with the pvp set bonus a night elf druid without feral swiftness is iirc at something like 149% speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Juvencus View Post
    Don't forget the minor glyph! No speed penalty for prowl.
    It's a major glyph. But still worth using imo, being able to move fast while stealthed does make a huge difference, that was one of the hardest thing to swallow when I went back to my feral from my nightstalker specced rogue.

With the glyph + the night elf racial ferals in mop will move faster in stealth than non nightelf rogues with nightstalker - without even feline swiftness. And that's without even the pvp set bonus.

How's DB for Resto? I had written it off as a useless talent but since Resto can dispell everything on themselves bar bleeds in a single dispell it seems like it could be a very useful escape when getting focused.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azale View Post
    How's DB for Resto? I had written it off as a useless talent but since Resto can dispell everything on themselves bar bleeds in a single dispell it seems like it could be a very useful escape when getting focused.
    Well, DB have another big flaw: it doesn't put you out of combat. For one, it means if you have dots you can't dispel such as bleeds, you can't just prowl back right away after they destealth you. On the other hand symbiosis can mitigate this by allowing you to iceblock or bubble to remove the bleeds (and everything else) before using DB.

Another problem is that since DB doesn't put you out of combat, mobs just simply ignore that you are stealthed and continue attacking you as if you weren't (tested with some lowbie mob in elwynn on the ptr). So it is very likely that pets and guardians such as mirror image will have the same behavior and continue attacking you as if you weren't stealthed, that is unless you can avoid them for 6 seconds and actually get out of combat.

Bubble + DB right after is probably a very robust way to restealth as it solves both of those issues, though. Too bad that you depend on a pocket paladin to make it work.
    Last edited by mmocd6cf53cb07; 2012-08-13 at 07:31 PM.

Deleted
    its crap, mobs still attack you and pets still attack you so its pointless.

Deleted
    It's a rubbish talent, Wild Charge is far superior for PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be so cool if it was in fact putting you out of combat. So basically vanish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by khair View Post
    It would be so cool if it was in fact putting you out of combat. So basically vanish.
    Using prowl with incarnation: king of the jungle actually does that, though.