Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vsml View Post
    I wouldn't say 156 fps is lag. the testers played very well for me, and many people too.

If you aren't blind, you can clearly see the three professions I mentioned are clearly OP. I was clearing up the field with Ele with ease, the moment I had low half.. Switch to water and get back up. And the time they got my health down again, my heals were back off CD, and I was destroying them with ease switching to fire and ele. I played Guardian, same thing, no one could kill me, but I was destroying everything in my path too. Warrior was insane too, I died a few more times, but it was storming through player's like they were butter.

Maybe I'm pro then? Or are they OP?

You choose one.
    The build you played was from BWE3. In this game, you are matched up in hot join PvP with other players that have acquired roughly the same amount of glory. And this is account bound, not character IIRC. You would have had a hard time to play against me as I accumulated a ton of glory compared to your ~8 hours. This game isn't perfectly balanced, but for what it is it is fairly good in that department. You bring up classes in this game as OP but keep in mind, this isn't WoW. When you say Ele in this game, there isn't only 1 or 2 viable options for that profession in this game. In WoW, you had extremely limited choices for your class in PvE or PvP that were actually viable.

So please, post what kind of build and weapon set you ran with each of those said classes(profs), and we shall go from there. I've heard this kind of crap before from WoW players that "tried" GW2 and thought it was off. And when prompted with the question, "Well what kind of build did you use and what profession?" they shut down and just get belligerent. After 8 hours of only those 3 classes, and by what you said the most was spent with Ele it seems you should be able to tell us what you ran. Welcome to the GW2 community. We're not angry teenagers yelling at everything and expecting someone to listen. We banish trolls.

Deleted
    - It feels awfully slow killing player's.
    i think its a good thing. pvp where you can react an play makes more fun for me then this instant kills in the other mmos these days
    - Warrior, Ele and Guardian are clearly OP.
    why? evade the big attacks and counter. just a thing we all need to learn (and 2 days are not enough)
    - Everything feels messy and out of place.
    do you mean the enviroment? i liked the atmosphere.
    - It's hard to identify whether you are actually doing any solid damage to a player.
    dmg isnt all in this game
    - Everyone is healing up all the time.
    try to stop them from casting and it will be less healing :3
    - Everything is happening so fast that you wonder how much solid damage you did in that zerg fight.
    again dmg isnt all as long your team wins the fight
    - Hard to identify certain spells doing solid damage too.
    again you just need to learn witch attacks hurt. the animatons are different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Victus01 View Post
    yup this. unless you got your own zerg behind you. who in their right mind would charge into a group of enemies and expect to survive. lol prob us old wow players lol
    Yep. Old habits die hard.

OP: I can see where you are coming from, but I have fought great players from every class and played most classes and I have to say that every class can be considered OP in PvP. I have fought necros that took my whole team to take down and a few of us still died in the process. I have also fought Engineers that did surprisingly well for their complexity. And I killed the OP classes more times than I could count 1v1; even the good players that are on a rampage.

As for the slow damage, they are probably using a defensive build or you are using a defensive build. Unless you trait for a damage build, you are not taking down ANYONE quickly. But you are going to die a lot faster. This is why a lot of matches seem to take forever; no one wants to have a glass jaw in an enviorment where a ranged person can pot shot you before you get a chance to return the favor.

If people go down at half health, that was probably lag. Happens all the time.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

I have to agree with the OP, I'm hoping its the stress test. My main complaints are these characters are just too clunky and a lot of this is the horrendous GW2 cameras and their lack of zoom. I spent a lot more time fighting the GW2 Camera when trying to hide by objects than actual players. I was always feeling like I was in a first person shooter. I spent so much time in options trying to figure out if they had any type of settings that fixes this mess.

Trying to run up a simple staircase without falling off is a chore, maybe its the 2 classes I played (Elem, Mesmer) It's like they're running in molasses filled sand while other classes are zipping around with little effort. I have heard realist as a descriptive term but it might be the furthest from realistic I have seen in a game, I cant think of any game I couldn't navigate stairs/ramps/tight roping fluidly.

Are we all always going to have on the same exact dull and dreary clothing in PVP or will you be able to wear your own gear. I like seeing certain far off enemies based on their look, Are we going to have customizable PvP gear?

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't say I had any of the problems you had, but I've seen people complaining about the camera. Speedwise, are you sure you weren't missing out on a Swiftness buff, or surrounded by players who took a trait to increase their speed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miah View Post
    Are we all always going to have on the same exact dull and dreary clothing in PVP or will you be able to wear your own gear. I like seeing certain far off enemies based on their look, Are we going to have customizable PvP gear?
    I got a couple of "special" items from my PvP rewards just from doing sPvP. I had a cool Peacekeeper's Staff and a lot of equipment for different armor categories.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

I would of thought id of gotten a flame fest from player's. GW2 seems to have a decent community, who share their own opinions without being rude and childish. But yeah, I was giving my opinion of an 8 hour player time. So there are many things I'll need to learn and get the hang of. It's a complete new game, with a complete new aspect on an MMO. I guess too many people are used to the 'WoW feel' of MMOs and start to judge if it doesn't have that same feel. Which is wrong, as it's a complete different game with their own style.

Glad to be part of an awesome community.
    Last edited by Vsml; 2012-08-11 at 02:25 PM.

I would of thought id of gotten a flame fest from player's. GW2 seems to have a decent community, who share their own opinions without being rude and childish. But yeah, I was giving my opinion of an 8 hour player time. So there are many things I'll need to learn and get the hang of. It's a complete new game, with a complete new aspect on an MMO. I guess too many people are used to the 'WoW feel' of MMOs and start to judge if it doesn't have that same feel. Which is wrong, as it's a complete different game with their own style.

Glad to be part of an awesome community.
    That's usually how the community is... you'll get some WoW heros trying to incorporate that child mindset sometimes in chat in gw2 but for the most part it gets stomped out. I really, really, really hope they have some strict GMs in GW2. I would love to see bans on asshats and trolls in GW2. Hell, I'd do it for free while I'm playing. I'll take time out of playing to look over issues. WoW became the worst community in gaming when Blizzard decided to stop banning people for vulgarity/racism. They decided the money was more important than preserving the sanctity of the community. This happened probably around late TBC when they decided to let the community become trolling little bastards.

But yeah, most people will be coming from WoW, and likely WoW is the only MMO experience they've ever known. Important thing is to keep an open mind about the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    This (and the camera thing) is one of those things I hear from some people but have never noticed myself. Don't know if it's a perception thing or the way some peoples' controls are set up or what...

I'm not doubting that you noticed that, don't get me wrong. I've just never noticed it and am not sure what could be causing it.
    It has to be something in my settings because if people think the camera and movement in tight areas is normal in this game, They aren't experiencing what I am at all.

I like melee a lot so I'm saving that for release, my experiences have been on a Mesmer and a Elementalist and I'm wondering if they made their movement awkward since they're ranged and its a balance thing to level the playing field a little, if so good idea but............

When I play a ranged I try and get in position to make it harder for melee to get to me which puts me behind rocks or tucked next to a wall, whatever.......I don't stand out in a wide open area ( I may have to change this in this game) The GW2 camera AUTO zooms in on "objects" close to you even if its a clump of tall grass so my experience would be this: I'm standing there centered on my screen like normal and someone runs up behind, as I spin, the camera zooms in on every object in that 180 turn so Im seeing my body, then only my head, then half my body then FPS then zoomed out ......so you get slightly disorentated just from the camera carnival ride in a simple turn and a Melee is slugging my face.

I hit dodge and it rolls me into a wall and the camera spins around showing me a close up of rocks and slowly tries to reorient and I'm fighting the zooming camera because I'm up against a wall so I have to move towards the melee to zoom back out instead of being in first person mode. Its like they tried to make a "smart Camera" that's drunk.

PvP to me is based on milliseconds and if your camera is trying to fix itself for 1-2 seconds all the time they are basically telling me ranged has to sit out in the open with no objects surrounding me for a good 10 meters or yards. My elemental has so many target placings that when I would try and place a target on the ground to the left or the right it would actually zoom in or out as I was getting ready to place it changing the targets location, if I wasn't getting a closeup of the back of my head if I was too close to a wall, tree, rock, post, grass clump, etc.

I tried every camera setting I could and nothing seemed to work, my character was usually filling 1/4 of my screen when not out in the wide open. Maybe I will google GW2 bad camera and see what I get, I can't believe I'm the only one seeing this as unplayable in a PvP environment or my game is bugged somehow

---------- Post added 2012-08-11 at 03:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ryph View Post
    That's usually how the community is... you'll get some WoW heros trying to incorporate that child mindset sometimes in chat in gw2 but for the most part it gets stomped out. I really, really, really hope they have some strict GMs in GW2. I would love to see bans on asshats and trolls in GW2. Hell, I'd do it for free while I'm playing. I'll take time out of playing to look over issues. WoW became the worst community in gaming when Blizzard decided to stop banning people for vulgarity/racism. They decided the money was more important than preserving the sanctity of the community. This happened probably around late TBC when they decided to let the community become trolling little bastards.

But yeah, most people will be coming from WoW, and likely WoW is the only MMO experience they've ever known. Important thing is to keep an open mind about the game.
    SWToRs community is really good, they got rid of a lot of problems by having the game run well on a newer computer, then they added 30 keybinds and animations taking away the easy mode. The PvP community is very close and fun, even the other faction cheers and bows for you when you get a good kill or pull off a game breaking move that swings the momentum. I was impressed by the GW2 community yesterday considering the lagfest we were dealing with. People were actually laughing about it and making lil jokes here and there. I did however see several character names like "Ifukedurmom" ( Real name I saw) so you will have some of that in any game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trying to run up a simple staircase without falling off is a chore, maybe its the 2 classes I played (Elem, Mesmer) It's like they're running in molasses filled sand while other classes are zipping around with little effort. I have heard realist as a descriptive term but it might be the furthest from realistic I have seen in a game, I cant think of any game I couldn't navigate stairs/ramps/tight roping fluidly.
    Yeah, if you're seeing others moving around fine but you're having a problem it sounds like it's on your end somewhere. Have you tried contacting Support?

---------- Post added 2012-08-11 at 08:32 AM ----------

SWToRs community is really good, they got rid of a lot of problems by having the game run well on a newer computer, then they added 30 keybinds and animations taking away the easy mode. The PvP community is very close and fun, even the other faction cheers and bows for you when you get a good kill or pull off a game breaking move that swings the momentum. I was impressed by the GW2 community yesterday considering the lagfest we were dealing with. People were actually laughing about it and making lil jokes here and there. I did however see several character names like "Ifukedurmom" ( Real name I saw) so you will have some of that in any game.
    Those guys won't last long, this is how Anet deals with that stuff

Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Ryph View Post

Exactly, the only reason I have stopped playing wow is because of the community, there really isn't one anymore and when you do get an insight of what the community is like it's very off putting to play whether I enjoy my time on it or not. I hope they do have strict GMs too, like you said you rarely see anyone getting a ban anymore. Even auction bots are there for months on end with amount of people reporting them on my server but nothing is ever done. It's just falling apart. Glad to be moving on from it.

Forced by lack of direct healers and protectors. Even so, the damage is arguably too high, because in 5v5 the first person to get focused melts like a snowball in blast furnace after potential invulnerability skills are used up.

Balance is EXCEPTIONALLY wonky right now. Your quote above contains information that was true as of BWE2. In BWE3 elementalist's offence was nerfed to the ground and warrior's damage became average. Current meta is massively overpowered spirit rangers' damage and guardians who now have damage on par with warriors but vastly superior survivability and support.

UI issue. Hopefully it's possible to get used to it. I'm not certain as I also find it extremely lacking and think that arenanet's "no UI is best UI" approach is misguided.

- It's hard to identify whether you are actually doing any solid damage to a player.
    See above. UI issue.

Intended. Heals are weak but nearly constant for some classes. You need to burst, preferably with multiple players. Use ctrl+t to designate focus target for other team mates in the area.

- People go into down state at half health... what? :S
    Retarded lag issues related to current state of burst damage such as ranger opener. I've had myself not proc 25% arcane shield because of getting killed faster then server apparently applied shield and dying the moment I got 50% armor of earth. Hopefully this will be fixed.

- Everything is happening so fast that you wonder how much solid damage you did in that zerg fight.
    Another UI issue. Culmination moments in fights tend to be just much faster in WoW arenas during actually deciding moments but because of much more solid UI in the game, actual gameplay is much more clear.

Once again, UI issue.
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2012-08-11 at 04:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi,

I never got the chance to play Beta, so my only chances to get an early play were these two testers that were on the 9th and 10th.

PvP (in my opinion).

Don't get butt hurt tho, just my opinion. How do you feel about PvP?
    Well maybe they fix some things by release

This (and the camera thing) is one of those things I hear from some people but have never noticed myself. Don't know if it's a perception thing or the way some peoples' controls are set up or what...

I'm not doubting that you noticed that, don't get me wrong. I've just never noticed it and am not sure what could be causing it.
    I don't get what they are talking about either. I did tons of "exploration" reaching every vista. Had no trouble with the camera and was riding stairs at full speed :x I just use WASD with strafe AD and control direction with right click... seems pretty natural, didn't change options.

The only "weird thing" is that there is some "camera lag", when you go left or right, the camera isn't permanently centered, there is a delay before the camera starts moving. But it didn't bother me at all to move around.

@Miah: Watch a pvp video of someone decent and see if it looks different or not.
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2012-08-11 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rezoacken View Post
    I don't get what they are talking about either. I did tons of "exploration" reaching every vista. Had no trouble with the camera and was riding stairs at full speed :x I just use WASD with strafe AD and control direction with right click... seems pretty natural, didn't change options.

The only "weird thing" is that there is some "camera lag", when you go left or right, the camera isn't permanently centered, there is a delay before the camera starts moving. But it didn't bother me at all to move around.
    same. i can navigate intricate jumps and puzzles at full speed no problem.

Speaking of doing things, in another thread about the topic someone mentioned how the camera would make it impossible to do a "jump-spin" in order to use Lightning Reflexes to move forward the way Hunters would do to Disengage forward.

Tried it this last stress test, worked fine for me.
    There is a key to do an instant 180 (Look Back ?), it helps tremendously for this kind of maneuver
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2012-08-11 at 06:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    :x You can't really go off judging that "this is OP" and "This doesn't seem right" after a couple of stress tests. Remember, some of the people you fought against have probably played that character for hours upon hours upon hours. They probably have way more experience than you do, and that experience can make or break a battle in GW2. Like Karizee's video suggested, you have to pay attention to your opponent, know their actions and how to react to them. It's all in the wrist, as they say. :3

10+ Year Old Account
    I never got the chance to play Beta, so my only chances to get an early play were these two testers that were on the 9th and 10th.
    Worth noting: Not very good experience for judging the pvp.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Hi,

PvP (in my opinion).

I think your opinion is heavily influenced by not having much experience with the game and going directly into sPvP. PvE tends to ease you into the game mechanics; sPvP just throws them all at you at once. Also, the massive lag during the August 10 stress test is probably skewing your view of the game.

Downed state is new for most players, so it may seem confusing. In GW2, when a player reaches 0 HP, they go into the downed state. While standing next to a downed player, opponents can use the interact key (default 'F') to "Finish Them!" (also referred to as "stomp"), which will kill them and force them to respawn. Friendly players can use the interact key to help revive their allies and bring them back into the fight. As the gameplay matures, it will be a much bigger factor. I've never found getting a player into a downed state as slow unless they're playing defensively with a defensive build. Are you trying to finish downed players with damage? If so, that may make it seem slow.

The pace of gameplay and the power of different professions is a direct result of not having much experience and being matched against other players with little experience (hot join matching is based on glory, which is accumulated over time). As you said, it's hard to tell what's going on. After you play for a few days, it's much more obvious what players are doing and you can react better. This is particularly important for the dodge skill, which many new players are not using well or may be ignoring. That makes it much easier to kill them. It's also a reason why glass cannon builds tend to prevail against less experienced players. Warrior in particular has very obvious glass cannon builds. Guardian has some passive defenses that mask a new player's lack of skill. Once you start playing with knowledgeable opponents, you'll see a range of builds from glass cannons to very survivable players, all of which have a significant influence on the pace of combat. In addition, once you get more experience, you can tell when your skills are doing damage, what skills opponents are using to hurt you, stop your damage, etc.

It's worth noting that every profession in GW2 can heal, unlike traditional MMOs that rely on a player in a healer role. Heals are on cooldowns though, so you need to manage damage bursts appropriately. Outside that heal skill, most healing is minimal or spread over time.

As for feeling zergy, WvW does feel like that currently. That's partly because siege is expensive for low level players and partly because there's little organization. In hot join sPvP, I do feel 8v8 is too many players. Tournaments with organized teams are 5v5. The debate on sPvP size is a hot topic within the GW2 community right now, even though the devs have said they like 8v8 for hot join.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi,

PvP (in my opinion).

- I can't burst anyone down.
    - I never learned to dodge and/or play the game properly.
    - It's completely new, I don't know what I am doing, I don't like it.
    - lol.
    - This guy beat me because he healed! How did he do that?!
    - No they don't.
    - Everything is happening so fast, I have issues understanding it doesn't matter how much damage I do, but the team as a whole.
    - (Honestly, I just read this as tho you can't read the numbers that come floating on your screen).

Fixed it for you.

This game is new. You are not used to that kind of gameplay, what the hell do you expect?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing a little more cowbell won't fix.

Valar morghulis