Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    Ofc it does, but that doesnt change the fact that other modes are/were very small % compared to that. Thats what I was trying to say.
    Having 100000000000 modes that are divided between players and even if they were 50% of other types played doesnt make them "interesting" enough.
    Dont exegerate, no one is asking for 100billion different game modes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by akamurdoch View Post
    Why cant someone say "This doesn't seem right" ? The amount of people who cant appreciate people are different astounds me.
    You can totally say that, provided you post more than just that, which the OP (initially didn't). If I go the to Priest forum and say: "Priests just don't feel right," I'm just trying to provoke a response.
    Also, the OP admitted to not having much experience. When I first played the game, there were things that didn't feel right. Some of them were unintended (and are mostly fixed by now), other were just getting used to the game. This thread started by making blanket statements after 8 hours of play.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    My only issue is it could do with a few more game modes, and possibly battlegrounds with varying player limits. Say a 10 person one, a15 person one, or even maybe larger, though once you get to a certain point thats where WvWvW kicks in.

But Anet said they had tried other game modes, so hopefully they will put them in after launch, right now I can understand them wanting to get the launch build as polished as possible, and not everything can be in at launch, whats in is great, so I'm happy with that for now.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    I also dont agree that it will be a balancing nightmare. It'll take a little more effort, but its doable. We already see professions with distinct roles (Guardians on point, Warrior/Engineer as Roamer, Elementalist as Support etc). No one is equal anyway at this point. And this will persist into, for example, a CTF.
    I don't think little more effort is what it would take, that is an understatement. I do think that GW2 will do well with model similar to LoL. You have one competitive map type the pvp is balanced around. Then you have other maps/open world pvp that is there for fun.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am just glad that recently they put in a new pvp map. Doing the same two constantly was getting a little old after playing them for hours at a time. The new one definitely spiced things up a little.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

didnt they mention a new map with water battles?

Deleted
    Everything you stated just makes me think you're bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Victus01 View Post
    didnt they mention a new map with water battles?
    I assume you mean the pirate ship map.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    I don't think little more effort is what it would take, that is an understatement. I do think that GW2 will do well with model similar to LoL. You have one competitive map type the pvp is balanced around. Then you have other maps/open world pvp that is there for fun.
    Never said theyd have to balance around all game modes. They could say "look, we balance around Conquest. And if we can do something to improve balance without fucking to much with conquest, we'll do it. If not, we wont. And if its a real problem, that gamemode simply doesnt earn you Glory (or whatever that pvp stat was) and you can just play for fun."

Or they can say "We apply different rules to different game modes." But if they put some thought into it i dont think itll be a problem. They'll never perfectly balance Conquest either, even if that was the only game mode. And burning out a lot of players in sPvP just to please the hardcore minority (a tiny minority) will hurt in the long run.

Then you will have more whine that they should be better and balance it for other types to.
    Unlimited QQ... Better not have something than have people bitch and moan all the time bout it.
    Im sure that over time theyll add some, but tbh I like them sticking to one thing and doing it right. Just like someone said about LOL.

Then you will have more whine that they should be better and balance it for other types to.
    Unlimited QQ... Better not have something than have people bitch and moan all the time bout it.
    Im sure that over time theyll add some, but tbh I like them sticking to one thing and doing it right. Just like someone said about LOL.
    Welcome to the internet, people will bitch and moan regardless. They game could be perfectly balanced and still every class is both overpowered and underpowered according to the forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Their standpoint is aimed at esports. Something most of us will never have anything to do with. And i'd get bored with sPvP if it was just conquest over and over. And im sure im not the only one.

I also dont agree that it will be a balancing nightmare. It'll take a little more effort, but its doable. We already see professions with distinct roles (Guardians on point, Warrior/Engineer as Roamer, Elementalist as Support etc). No one is equal anyway at this point. And this will persist into, for example, a CTF.
    Guardian protects your base flag, Necro/Ele breaks open the flag, Engineer/Warrior grabs it and runs it.

The same strong points that get them certain roles in Conquest will get the similar roles in CTF, because there is a need for similar roles.
    They rather specifically said that it would be better to add CTF as a secondary objective on a Conquest map, rather than making a straight-up CTF map, ya know. :P

Which I fully agree with. Pure CTF maps devolve into deathmatch "let's all fight in the middle while two people do all the work" modes. I think the entire purpose behind ANet choosing Conquest is that they want to avoid a pvp game that is focused around deathmatch gameplay, and instead have solid objectives to work towards with your team, as it makes for more interesting gameplay.

When you boil it down, killing the enemy is going to be the main thing that happens anyways. Why not give something that takes real strategy? Like making people fight over specific areas of the map that are the deciding factor in victory?
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-12 at 04:28 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    They rather specifically said that it would be better to add CTF as a secondary objective on a Conquest map, rather than making a straight-up CTF map, ya know. :P

Which I fully agree with. Pure CTF maps devolve into deathmatch "let's all fight in the middle while two people do all the work" modes. I think the entire purpose behind ANet choosing Conquest is that they want to avoid a pvp game that is focused around deathmatch gameplay, and instead have solid objectives to work towards with your team, as it makes for more interesting gameplay.

When you boil it down, killing the enemy is going to be the main thing that happens anyways. Why not give something that takes real strategy? Like making people fight over specific areas of the map that are the deciding factor in victory?
    I agree with you.

You get the same rubbish in certain MMOs, that to be honest only two or so player's are actually trying to achieve what the map is for. While everyone else is in a massive death match in the middle doing their own thing. Yeah it can be fun, but it can get very boring too, if know one else is trying to achieve the goal of the map too. Why not put something behind it and make it into a strategy to try and achieve a goal as a team too, while killing player's over specific areas of the map like you said. Get the best of both worlds.

Can one of you that doesn't have troubles with the camera zooming in and out making your character bigger and smaller and floating around un-centered take a quick look at your setting during the stress test and possibly see something checked/unchecked that might make the camera not crappy?

Deleted
    cant expect good pvp from an mmo-rpg even though GW2 does pvp decently well compared to other mmorpgs i've played, (not that i've played a very large amount of mmos)

sorry i forgot to mention that decently well does NOT mean fucking terrible and boring as shit so dont flame me because i use a word that's a bit more negative than "perfect" or "amazing"
    Last edited by mmoc15645c0f5b; 2012-08-12 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomzter View Post
    cant expect good pvp from an mmo-rpg even though GW2 does pvp decently well compared to other mmorpgs i've played, (not that i've played a very large amount of mmos)

sorry i forgot to mention that decently well does NOT mean fucking terrible and boring as shit so dont flame me because i use a word that's a bit more negative than "perfect" or "amazing"
    Liking the photo!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomzter View Post
    cant expect good pvp from an mmo-rpg
    Care to explain why? Why does being an MMORPG automatically mean PvP isn't good?

gw1 had some of the best pvp on the market, can't argue with that

edit: nevermind, ignorelist says hello
    Last edited by Maarius; 2012-08-12 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    gw1 had some of the best pvp on the market, can't argue with that
    True that. I did MMORPG pvp in AoC, WAR, WoW, TOR and only when I started GW1 for HoM I learned what MMORPG PvP can be. Very pleasant experience and I am really looking forward to see LoL&GW2 duke it out in streaming battle.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

That will happen EVEN if everything was perfect, but also that's partially what makes some stuff progress (and from time to time digress).
    Your "Better not have something than have people bitch and moan all the time bout it" is very flawed. People are already QQ`in (within reason and without too) about the sPvp as it is, and by your logic Anet should take it out. o.0

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post

The reason I don't agree with you is because even with only conquest in the sPvP right now, on random matches is still a "deathmatch", people fighting in the middle of nowhere for no reason. Not only because they don't care about the objective, but also because they find to an extent amusing and why not "fun".

The second reason I disagree is, as you can see the same type of example, in wow. The ranked matches were if anything thoughtful in strategy, who D's, Who gets the flag, who goes where, it is still tactical. And yet on random it's a mess. And that goes for any maps, I just used one.

The way Anet is approaching this is memorable but I dont think the last phrase of your post has that much impact, because it happens in every game, even on Gw2.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Vsml View Post
    I agree with you.

You get the same rubbish in certain MMOs, that to be honest only two or so player's are actually trying to achieve what the map is for. While everyone else is in a massive death match in the middle doing their own thing. Yeah it can be fun, but it can get very boring too, if know one else is trying to achieve the goal of the map too. Why not put something behind it and make it into a strategy to try and achieve a goal as a team too, while killing player's over specific areas of the map like you said. Get the best of both worlds.
    Same as what I replied to Drake. Various games already offers strategic ways of playing, it's probably the reason BG's were invented rather than just open world pvp. In gw2 me and you will or did see that there are alot of people fighting in the mid just because it's where the action usually is. They ignore the Guild Lords (All the games I played I saw him dead 4 times, 3 by me and 1 by an enemy team on a tourny match), not to mention treb and ppl having to solo the NPC Boss just because everyone else is at the keep or stairs having their fun. And on the tourny is where the thing gets organized, but so it happened in a ranked match in Wow.

Now it's not to say that Gw2 doesn't encourage a better way of playing it, but that doesn't get achieved by the dev but by the players.

-----

My main point is simple.

No one here is asking for an specific mode, at least I'm not (just using Flag modes because they are easy target), but asking for more diversity. I applaud the Anet decision of making conquest their primary focus on launch because it's probably the best and easier way to balance. But to neglect any other kind of mode could potentially be a negative after months of launch. Having everything run on conquest with little sides it's nice but it's still conquest, you can ignore secondary mechanics in your own right and chances are not low that you won't fail as someone brought up Eye Of The Storm, you would often 3 cap instead of 2cap and get flag.

But anyhow. Diversity within conquest is awesome, something other games should do it way better by now, but that can only take you so long. Even if they are going for Esports, really I don't think many if ANY of us will ever even touch that, and that is not a good "excuse" for not including a bigger diversity of games, and not even the night balance is good enough to prevent players from wanting it. Some want it now, some will want it later, some will never want, but sooner or later it's even in Anet best interest to come up with something.