Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Anyone have tips for picking a profession?

I've always been indecisive, in wow I have every class to 85. I've always had a hard time picking things out, yet there's people who are able to play the same thing over and over even in different games. How do you people do it? Is there anything in particular you look for when selecting such things?

I thought I was content on engineer but then after this last stress test, that went down the drain... I just don't get how people just decide almost instantly what they're going to play. I see a elementalist, and I think it's awesome they can do so many cool spells and blow crap up with aoe. I see a thief and I think it's awesome how they can shadowstep to their target and have abilities to jump over their enemey. I thought turrets were awesome with engineer, but after this last stress test they turned out kind of meh for pvp which I didn't like. But even then there's still many ways to play engineer that I think are awesome.

Everything is awesome! And I hate it! Because it makes it so I can't decide on anything!

10+ Year Old Account
    People who can instantly decide what profession to play probably have a different personality/decision process than you.

For me it was easy. I want to support and protect my allies, so the Guardian is a natural fit (and no, I don't need a lecture on how every profession can do that).

Other than that, I look for certain things I want/need to fully enjoy a playstyle and see how well each profession fits with that.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, I know what you mean!

I approached it like do I want something that has more range or more melee weapons? Ok, now do I want something more burstier or more survival? and just kinda go from there. When you get down to about 3 try them out, something will latch on to you and you'll know that's what you want to main
    Valar morghulis

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well I choose elementalist because I used to play a shaman and I kinda like the idea of combining the 4 elements like your the avatar

10+ Year Old Account
    where ever you are when you've just had a long fight against another player, to screw up your day
    i instantly went for the guardian because over the years i felt i enjoyed the heavily armoured magic using paladin architype so guardian was a perfect fit for me (i'm not saying the guardian is at all like a wow paladin but it is your typical paladin-y themed character thats just what i think of it dont read too much into it and start splitting hairs)
    . That awkward moment when the bracketed comment is longer then the origonal message

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vilhelm1992 View Post
    I instantly went for the guardian because over the years I felt I enjoyed the heavily armored magic using paladin archetype, so guardian was a perfect fit for me (I'm not saying the guardian is at all like a wow paladin but it is your typical paladin-y themed character thats just what I think of it. Don't read too much into it and start splitting hairs.)
    That awkward moment when the bracketed comment is longer then the original message
    The awkward moment when a community needs disclaimers or else starts hunting people down like rabid wolfs because they think everything is a statement against the game and/or needs clarification.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    I've played all of the betas etc - still struggling to decide. I have a list professions I've enjoyed least...but found them all quite fun...if profession selection was random, and I had to play whatever I was given - chances are I'd still really enjoy it.

After the last weekend I thought "thief, definitely thief" - but then I messed around with other professions during the stress tests and thought "hmmmm maybe not thief".

Sooooo...

As I've said in other threads...my plan at the mo is to level them all to 10...and then just dip in and out as I like - it could be that I'll settle on one naturally and really want more, more, more of that...but yeah, basically, the plan is not to plan.

10+ Year Old Account
    where ever you are when you've just had a long fight against another player, to screw up your day
    good way to help you decide, flip a coin, not because the coin makes a decision but because somewhere you'll feel yourself even slightly hoping for one outcome over the other

Abandon preconceptions. Focus on what feels great to play. Whatever that is for u...whether it be complexity, or just animations.

I'm usually quite decisive, and I had a very hard time settling on a prof in this game. The "problem" is that with a little imagination all the classes are really that good! Really though, with a level cap of 80 and no hardline reason to be max lvl for anything other than wvw, I wouldn't stress about it. You have plenty of time before the majority even gets close to cap, so play a few classes and settle on the one that fits you best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Deleted
    so im gona play a mesmer and one important point for me was that he reminds me a mage from an anime i loved.

maybe you have an idol character that would fit a profession in that game.

I just prefer playing rather than messing about in char creation for hours. It's as simple as that for me. Was a Ranger pretty much the whole of GW1 and I have been in GW2 in the betas

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Abandon preconceptions. Focus on what feels great to play. Whatever that is for u...whether it be complexity, or just animations.
    This is what I am doing. At first I was going Guardian only with perhaps a Necro for an alt. After playing the Mesmer, Thief and Warrior, they all took my heart. I enjoy them more than the Guardian and the Necro, which is saying something because those two classes are also fun to play as.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy92286 View Post
    This is what I am doing. At first I was going Guardian only with perhaps a Necro for an alt. After playing the Mesmer, Thief and Warrior, they all took my heart. I enjoy them more than the Guardian and the Necro, which is saying something because those two classes are also fun to play as.
    So, Guardian and Necromancer fall off. That narrows it down, at least.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    So, Guardian and Necromancer fall off. That narrows it down, at least.
    That is the problem. I have three mains, but I also have room for two more. Now what out of the five other classes will be the remaining two?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vilhelm1992 View Post
    good way to help you decide, flip a coin, not because the coin makes a decision but because somewhere you'll feel yourself even slightly hoping for one outcome over the other
    Lol, I do this all the time. It really works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    As usual, SB has great advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy92286 View Post
    Yh...found it's the best way personally.
    Started off saying ele, ranger, mesmer, engineer, guardian.
    Now after playing it's ele, war, thief, mesmer, ranger. And that's by no means final I reckon at this point.
    First 3 I think are certain. Loved all the profs...so much fun to play for me.

The best advice I can give to anyone is to not just stubbornly play what u think u would like from research.

---------- Post added 2012-08-11 at 01:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    As usual, SB has great advice.
    Awwwwwwww <3

I am having the hardest time with picking what proff to play first. I love mesmer, but I love elementalist as well. I'd like to try thief, engineer and ranger, and even play a guardian because I like their playstyle. hgodwhy:

Think about what you actually enjoy doing, not what "sounds kinda cool." I think about all the weird stuff I could do if I was this class or that class and I end up rerolling twelve times just to end up being a healer again. :/ My advice, think of what you enjoy doing in mmo's i.e. AoE: Elementalist, Single target ranged: Ranger, Buffing/Utility: Engineer/Guardian, Melee: Warrior, ect. If you enjoyed engineer, roll that!

I just pick the class that seems most effective after playing and meets the following: hard to kill, necessary for group play and no pet.

If there are multiple fitting the above, I pick the one best dressed.