Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonX View Post
    Wow honestly can't believe a company would do this, it's just so thoughtful and caring.

Understandably most companies want to retain every last penny for their profits but it's so nice when you hear a story like this.

Google is amazing for doing this, they're just an awesome company to work for, I wish I could work for them
    Saw a video from the leaders of Google once, they said their employees work twice as hard as normal and don't even mind it because they get taken care of very well.

If my boss would take care of me I'd be happy to work hard to repay him for it aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Saw a video from the leaders of Google once, they said their employees work twice as hard as normal and don't even mind it because they get taken care of very well.

If my boss would take care of me I'd be happy to work hard to repay him for it aswell.
    That's average working conditions for IT. I used to have meetings at bars and our office had a private chef and free dry cleaning. Silicon Valley is the not the burger-flipper world, the talent is limited, (sorry for the redundancy) very talented and they have huge leverage over the hiring companies competing for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

well, google is like any other company. They are treating their employees like this for one reason only, and that's the fact that their employees make a shitload of cash for them. Do people really think that a company is going out of their way for nothing in return? A company does not have empathy, at all. That's the way it is meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by saffi View Post
    Rofl, their pr machine is working idd
    What does?!

That I said for the products I use! For the Android market where they do not ask for 30% of the income on paid apps... as opposed to Apple!

Deleted
    well, google is like any other company. They are treating their employees like this for one reason only, and that's the fact that their employees make a shitload of cash for them. Do people really think that a company is going out of their way for nothing in return? A company does not have empathy, at all. That's the way it is meant to be.
    What the reason behind it is doesn't matter. If a company treats you like shit, you will not give shit either and work with the minimum effort you can.

If the boss is nice, and the people working for him respond with working hard...how is that a bad thing? Seems rather smart of google to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Valen~ View Post
    What does?!

That I said for the products I use! For the Android market where they do not ask for 30% of the income on paid apps... as opposed to Apple!
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8...android-market
    O'rly.

What the reason behind it is doesn't matter. If a company treats you like shit, you will not give shit either and work with the minimum effort you can.

If the boss is nice, and the people working for him respond with working hard...how is that a bad thing? Seems rather smart of google to me.
    Yes, didn't I just say that? They found out that they would gain more by treating their employees well, and therefore they do. If you honestly believe that Google lives up to "Do no evil", take a look at what happened to Bumptop. Their UI concept threatened Android. So what happened? They bought bumptop and fired everyone and let that project die. "Do no evil" is just BS

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8...android-market
    O'rly.

Yes, didn't I just say that? They found out that they would gain more by treating their employees well, and therefore they do. If you honestly believe that Google lives up to "Do no evil", take a look at what happened to Bumptop. Their UI concept threatened Android. So what happened? They bought bumptop and fired everyone and let that project die. "Do no evil" is just BS
    I've had wrong info then...

BUT you seem like a hater with passion either way!

10+ Year Old Account
    i so read the title wrong...

Google Keeps Deceased Employees' Families for a Decade

I've had wrong info then...

BUT you seem like a hater with passion either way!
    I'm not a hater. I just refuse to believe that companies have empathy. It doesn't make them bad, that's how it is supposed to be. Empathy is a human trait (or animal anyway), and a company is none of them.

Deleted
    My company recently bought me a car because my wages were too low for the responsability work i was doing. Instead of increasing my monthly wages since in my country the taxes are huge for the wages, they decided to give me a car as a incentive for my work.

Ever since they did that i am working over 10 hours a day, and weekends. I've increased my production much much more than they are losing paying the bank for the car. They are happy because they are making (and saving) lots of money because of my dedicated work, and i'm happy because i have a brand new $35k car i would never have if i had to pay for it myself.

Win-win situation for all. Now i know that this company rewards hard work and dedication and i can aspire to have even more next year or two. I'm working hard, my life is dedicated to this company now, and i didnt even notice in the start...

I'm not a hater. I just refuse to believe that companies have empathy. It doesn't make them bad, that's how it is supposed to be. Empathy is a human trait (or animal anyway), and a company is none of them.
    If you would say that it's just a publicity policy, I could go on your side.

But you do know that "company" in it self is just a contract or whatever - not capable of anything.
    It's the people that run the company that make policies, that make people work late on their birthdays. It's still people that tell you "you have to work on weekend", it isn't some "company" - inanimate object, that makes you hate mondays.

In this case these people did something good, and maybe they had some sneaky thinking behind it, but both the bad and the good can be attributed to a specific person who works or owns the company.

You tried to be philosophical here... but failed!

Companies are run by humans and every action is led by a human!
    The trait you're refering to is greed... which humans are well known for!

(On a general note)

You tried to be philosophical here... but failed!

Companies are run by humans and every action is led by a human!
    The trait you're refering to is greed... which humans are well known for!

(On a general note)
    Yes and? If you as a CEO/exec do something that compromises that company's best interest, you are a lousy exec. Doing what is best for the company is what you do, when working for the company. That may or may not include actions that are good for society as a whole.

There are lots of companies that do good things, but in the end, companies don't do good stuff just to make everyone warm and fuzzy inside. They do so because it is in their best interest.

A lot of companies do this. It's a form of life insurance.
    When in doubt, simply ask yourself: "What would Garrosh do?"

#wwgd

If I worked for Google I would be paranoid that my spouse would try to murder me.

Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post
    They have to be, after stealing Android from Apple and snooping on everyone's internet while taking pictures for Google Maps.
    Google didn't steal anything from Apple. Android was a company founded in 2003 and that's when development began for Android began. That was long before the iPhone and iOS came into existence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Google should just take over the world already, the world would probably be a better place.

Another reason why Google is awesome.

Deleted
    Its better to show good PR all the way until they take over the world.

People like it more that way.

On serious note: PR or not, thats pretty awesome. And quite expensive for pr stunt(I mean heck, theres cheaper ways). Money is not issue in google tho. But still, good job

Doesn't seem that out of the ordinary to me. A lot of companies provide something along those lines. Don't think that Google is some unique, amazing company for providing something that is fairly common for salaried positions.