1. #1

    I'm having a wonderful purchase experience with my new laptop

    Disclosure: I don't work for Acer or have any affiliation with them.

    I thought as a change of pace, I'd detail my wonderful purchase experience with Acer. I purchase this Acer Aspire a week ago.

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...029&CatId=4938

    Features:

    + AMD Quad Core Processor A6-3420M turbo boost to 2.4 GHZ
    + AMD Radeon 6520G + 7670M 1GB
    + 15.6" HD LED
    4 GB DDR3
    320GB 5400 RPM HD

    The only bad thing is I bought it for $449, and currently its on sale for $399.

    After using it for a week, I can say nothing but good things for this laptop. Its very thin and light. A little bit thicker than a dime on its side. But, its powerful enough to handle all your blizzard games (Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, WoW, etc). Its running fast.

    For best performance for D3, you will want to copy the D3 game onto a 16 GB flash drive and run it off of that for fastest data access times.

  2. #2
    I bought an Acer laptop around 2.5 years ago. I'm not a big traveler but I do make use of it every other week here and there in hotels. I can also say it has been a good product, I was more than pleased. It has done everything I intended since I bought it.

  3. #3
    I'm a few days short of 3 months since purchase, and everything is still running great! WoW, D3, TL2 all running well!

    Looks like that link is now sold out online, but here is a link to what seems to be the same laptop bundled with some software for $566.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...84342&csid=_22

  4. #4
    High Overlord vacor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clearwater Florida
    Posts
    124
    How well does it run wow?
    What is normal fPS and latency at?
    Do you do raids? If so what size how well does it perform?
    God forbid I see a cast bar on my target. I'm going to interrupt that cast out of fucking existence. I will rebuke that spell out of the game data, that's how I'm going to roll with my pally now.

  5. #5
    Bloodsail Admiral foil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,169
    My friend got an Acer laptop a few months ago, and just like most other branded computers ran like shit until given a fresh install of Windows to get rid of all the crapware/bloatware on the thing.

    Also cleared up a load of hard drive space from recovery partition since it wasnt needed if you have a real Windows install disc.

  6. #6
    Well, at least its cheap, so it seems an ok option on a low budget.

  7. #7
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    Well, at least its cheap, so it seems an ok option on a low budget.
    Well lots of expensive laptops aren't worth their price :P
    Besides most people don't do much intensive stuff laptops

  8. #8
    i used to hate acer but over the last 3 years their laptops have been pretty solid in my experiences
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro gen3
    i5-2500K - Corsair H80 Liquid Cooling
    G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8 GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 RAM
    EVGA GTX 460 FTW 1 GB
    OCZ Vertex 3 120G Sata III SSD - WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
    Corsair HX750 PSU - Rosewill Challenger U3 Case

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    Well lots of expensive laptops aren't worth their price :P
    Besides most people don't do much intensive stuff laptops
    Its all the matter of perspective. My weights 40% less, is half as thin and smaller overall, has a screen capable of up to 1920x1200 resolution and probably over three times as good battery time. These things matter a lot if you use your machine for work and must be mobile. In addition, its over 4 times faster than this Acer. Sure, it also costed a bit over $2000, but well - if you spend over 6 hours a day in front of a computer (like me) is absolutely reasonable. Projected over the expected lifespan of the computer its actually less than what I pay for my internet connection monthly.

  10. #10
    Mechagnome Joathen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    507
    *Shrug* Still happy with my Asus G74SX-A1.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    For best performance for D3, you will want to copy the D3 game onto a 16 GB flash drive and run it off of that for fastest data access times.
    No. God no. Not unless you are using a USB 3.0 drive in Super Speed mode. A 7,200 RPM platter drive will net you ~640 Mbps which blows a standard flash drive read/write out of the water.
    "Man is a slow, sloppy and brilliant thinker; the machine is fast, accurate and stupid." -William M. Kelly

  12. #12
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Detroit mi
    Posts
    982
    acers make great pre-builts in my experience. much better then dell and hp.
    Intel [email protected]
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

  13. #13
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    Its all the matter of perspective. My weights 40% less, is half as thin and smaller overall, has a screen capable of up to 1920x1200 resolution and probably over three times as good battery time. These things matter a lot if you use your machine for work and must be mobile. In addition, its over 4 times faster than this Acer. Sure, it also costed a bit over $2000, but well - if you spend over 6 hours a day in front of a computer (like me) is absolutely reasonable. Projected over the expected lifespan of the computer its actually less than what I pay for my internet connection monthly.
    What wonderfull laptop do you own then?
    (don't say a white one please.......)

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    What wonderfull laptop do you own then?
    (don't say a white one please.......)
    MacBook Pro with retina display

  15. #15
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    MacBook Pro with retina display
    sigh many things to say about out but usually ends along the lines of you could have gotten similar for less (retina being a screen gimmick mostly aswell)
    funny thing actually this week in the train someone was offended that my laptop was in a specially designed MBair sleeve........
    And 4 times the performance makes for a good laugh mind to try again? ^^

  16. #16
    Its been over 4 months now, and this laptop is still running perfectly.

    I run D3 off of a 16 gb usb stick and it loads fast.

    WoW runs great.

    Nothing has broken on it yet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •