First time overclocking can someone explain this ?

motherboard: Gigabyte z68xp-UD3P (rev 1.3 and latest BIOS update)
    CPU: i5 2500k
    RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance LP (the white 1.35v sticks)
    PSU: corsair AX1200

I upped the Vcore and set the multiplier to 45 and get into windows start cpu z (1.61 64bit version) it correctly reports my overclock until I start realtemp(3.7) then cpu z reports stock 3.3GHz and a 33 multiplier ??? It took me a few days to figure it out cause sometimes cpu z was properly reporting my OC and sometimes it wasnt but starting realtemp does it everytime haha^^

Before I start realtemp:

After:

I'm still tweaking voltages any advise/tips for a first timer ? I did have it at 4.5GHz @ 1.36v but before trying to see if I could get the voltage down a touch i decided to take it up to 4.8GHz and now 4.5GHz isnt stable very long with the Vcore at 1.36 :(

Try putting some load on it using prime95 or occt.

Deleted
    Don't worry what software thinks your clock speed is, the BIOS is the authoritative source. I've noticed that many programs do not correctly detect the actual settings.

Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge may require an increase in Vmcio / Vtt from 1.0V to 1.1V or even 1.2V to ensure stability

Quote Originally Posted by Zatie12 View Post
    Don't worry what software thinks your clock speed is, the BIOS is the authoritative source. I've noticed that many programs do not correctly detect the actual settings.
    Glad you said this I nearly forgot in the BIOS (if you are familiar with gigabytes BIOS) there is a "system status" tab and it shows the turbo clock at 4.5GHz and base of 3.3GHz but I have turbo disabled ? seems odd to me anyway for awhile I thought that was the problem with what cpu z was reporting until I noticed realtemp was the cause.

---------- Post added 2012-08-11 at 07:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Try putting some load on it using prime95 or occt.
    tried putting load on it after I start realtemp. cpu z will report nothing else but the stock clocks after I start realtemp until I restart the computer.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

RealTemp has a Disable Turbo feature that laptop owners like to use to control the heat of their laptops. Have a look in the RealTemp Settings window and make sure that is NOT checked and Turbo Boost will probably start working correctly for you again.