Thread: alt tabbing

alt tabbing

hey guys,

since a few weeks, when i alt+tab out off any game, i get this black screen as normal.. but this one last for about 3/4 seconds.
    it used to be like a second and BAM facebook (or w/e) pops up.. but now it takes ages...
    i dont think my pc is to slow for it or anything cus i played all the games on my old and slower pc aswell, and alt+tabbing went good on that.
    i have a pc with I7 2700k , 16 GBRAM and a single HD7950 card in it, running Windows 7 ultimate 64bit. my monitor is a Benq xl2420T.

i have searched on google about it, and all i see is comments like "get new pc". just once i saw an answer like it could be, that my game and windows resolution arent the same and everytime i have to switch between screens, it have to change those settings...
    i dont think thats the case for me though, since my resolutions ingame and windows are the same..

is there any setting that could get changed to make it faster between the window switches?

i play my games in full screen mode btw.

If Direct x 11 is enabled then it will take time to alt tab. but if its dx9 then its instant, atleast thats what happens to me

10+ Year Old Account
    For faster alt tab speed, the best recommendation I have is to use Full Screen Windowed mode, it's exactly the same as full-screen except it "acts" as a regular window. This is an in-game setting, and sadly not all games have that option. WoW does though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

both tips work for me! ty guys!
    but i still find it weird that on my old pc i had same settings ( direct X11 and full screen), but switched faster :S it wasnt instant also.. but more like 1 sec or so

anyway, ty guys! im gonna go with the windowed full screen mode

Run games in maximized window mode for faster alt tabbin, its pretty much fullscreen but better.

Yeah I had that problem when I would alt tab out of SC2. Then I realized it had fullscreen windowed mode and now it is like instant, that's the easy solution and it helps a lot

Credit for the creation of this awesome signature belongs to Shyama

Deleted
    Also under "visual effects" in Windows disable "Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing". Makes it feel even snappier.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoskadosk View Post
    For faster alt tab speed, the best recommendation I have is to use Full Screen Windowed mode, it's exactly the same as full-screen except it "acts" as a regular window. This is an in-game setting, and sadly not all games have that option. WoW does though.
    Alot of games don't have that enabled, which frustrates me, especially if I'm tabbing out to check up something like a walkthrough. Even with a second monitor I've still got to tab out, pray the game doesn't go skew-iffy, scroll to the next page and go back. Multiple time in Skyrim I's tab out, tab back in and my normal mouse cursor is on the screen getting in the bloody way. Also, Deus Ex:HR Has been known to crash on me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Desparatus View Post
    Alot of games don't have that enabled, which frustrates me, especially if I'm tabbing out to check up something like a walkthrough. Even with a second monitor I've still got to tab out, pray the game doesn't go skew-iffy, scroll to the next page and go back. Multiple time in Skyrim I's tab out, tab back in and my normal mouse cursor is on the screen getting in the bloody way. Also, Deus Ex:HR Has been known to crash on me.
    For Skyrim, disable themes in compatibility options and make sure to press esc before doing it, never happens to me anymore.