View Poll Results: Will people that not put any effort in helping harm your experience?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    28 25.00%
  • No.

    84 75.00%
Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Thumbs up GW2 - "Them noobs!"

    While browsing MMO-Champion from my basement today, I cam across the "Have you ever met an 'Ultra Noob' " thread.
    There was nothing special about it, just an ordinary thread until I closed it and remembered something I posted on MMO-C an year ago. I was trying to get a few points up about problems that might appear in GW2. (Of course I got flamed for it but welcome to the interwebs)

    Now, one of those points was that content scaling around the number of people might be bad for the game. This is a valid concern because there will be people that will migrate from WoW and other MMO's to GW2. WoW, even if I loved it as a game, harmed the player base for MMO's quite a bit.
    Most likely we all met some melee hunter or mage, people that could never get out of fires (cleared heroic raids with some of them so it's not just low levels), people that just AFK for no reason, people that were there only for the loot (AFK'ing in LFR) and of course people that simply can't play.

    WoW had a way to split the community (Guilds with closed raids, RBG's) but GW2 wants to bring the community together. Do you guys think that, because of the content scaling to the number of people and because not everyone will actually be able to play properly, the game will have to suffer since some players might be screwed over by others just doing nothing but simply being present?

    TL;DR - Do you believe the overall experience could be harmed by the few (too many actually :/) people that will not put any effort into helping the others?

  2. #2
    Unlike WoW, in GW2 a "melee hunter" might actually be viable. There's more than just one build per spec/class.

    Bad players might impede others more so in GW2, due to content scaling and the difference in difficulty. I could understood concerns over that. But there's some people who can't or don't want to be helped, and there's nothing we can do about it. Just sigh and work twice as hard to make up for them.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-08-12 at 12:08 AM.
    WoD updated Disc Priest Guide http://i.imgur.com/eOlZz9N.png

  3. #3
    the simple fix that arenanet came up with is when you don't contribute you won't be getting anything or you will get a bronze reward from the event if you didn't do enouf.

    I even believe they said somewhere that the content scales on the people contributing not the people present. but don't quote me on that.
    Last edited by Gildarts; 2012-08-12 at 12:09 AM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gildarts View Post
    the simple fix that arenanet came up with is when you don't contribute you won't be getting anything or you will get a bronze reward from the event if you didn't do enouf.
    That's how it currently works.
    WoD updated Disc Priest Guide http://i.imgur.com/eOlZz9N.png

  5. #5
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    369
    No, I'm not really worried. There's some natural selection here -- players who really are unable to contribute will either learn or eventually give up out of frustration. Just dying over and over to stuff you can't handle is pretty strong negative reinforcement.

    Remember that for the harder dynamic events, you cannot be carried. You are still at the very least responsible for your own survival. This is different from the trinity model, where failure (except for oneshot mechanics) eventually comes down to the healer or healers. In WoW, you can get away with a lot of stupid stuff in non-progression content because you don't bear the ultimate responsibility for failing to deal with encounter mechanics. (This is also, sadly, exacerbated by some ego problems, such as players treating a request for CC as a personal insult even when it is a very good idea.)

    Also, in my experience, the vast majority of players are actually very teachable. They just need to experience some feedback from the game to tell them what works and what doesn't.
    Last edited by Sylvanie; 2012-08-12 at 12:19 AM.

  6. #6
    if the content is so difficult that a few players afking means the difference between winning and loosing then you just have to make use of waypoints and rezing the dead in combat. Thats a reason why its there.

  7. #7
    I do have some concerns for griefers if the events scales on the people present.
    what if a group of griefers joined an event and don't contribute just to see the other people fail the event?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanie View Post
    Also, in my experience, the vast majority of players are actually very teachable. They just need to experience some feedback from the game to tell them what works and what doesn't.
    This is true from my experience as well and often falls back to your point on healers bearing the responsability. As a raid leader and healer in wow for a guild that was far from hardcore I had to hard love folks a few times to get them to shape up. I had to flat out tell my healer team to ignore their instincts and not try to save the people standing in the fire. The people with the flame fetish started to actualy pay attention to their location after a while. With this game there is nobody to save you from being stupid so folks are either going to learn, be flat broke due to repairs, or be stuck in the starting areas because they die every time they leave them.

    Who is John Galt?

  9. #9
    Warchief Maarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Austria (EU)
    Posts
    2,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Gildarts View Post
    I do have some concerns for griefers if the events scales on the people present.
    what if a group of griefers joined an event and don't contribute just to see the other people fail the event?
    this doesn't work. You only make an event scale up by contributing. Just standing there or fire a shot or two doesn't make the event more difficult.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Gildarts View Post
    I do have some concerns for griefers if the events scales on the people present.
    what if a group of griefers joined an event and don't contribute just to see the other people fail the event?
    That depends on how exactly the scaleing works. Anet has said that if your not contributing your not effecting the scaleing before. If thats true just showing up and standing in the area doing nothing probably wont accomplish much in the way of griefing the event. IF just player proximity causes scaleing like some have theorized on various forums then I could see a bit of an issue with griefers or just bad players makeing things much harder. Also consider however the number of players involved. If there are 10 people working on an event and 1 griefer shows up to try and throw the curve that probably will not tip things far enough to overwhelm the 10 people doing their jobs. For larger events it will take whole teams of griefers to really screw them up by messing with scaleing and I could see that form of coordinated behavior being more easily noticed and attracting suspensions/bans

    Who is John Galt?

  11. #11
    Scarab Lord Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Eternal Alchemy
    Posts
    4,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Gildarts View Post
    I do have some concerns for griefers if the events scales on the people present.
    what if a group of griefers joined an event and don't contribute just to see the other people fail the event?
    Because it scales on those present that participate. Pretty brilliant and darn near troll proof.
    Also, Anet is not shy about banning griefers or botters - no sub fee, remember? (pst look for the big guy with a scythe)

    Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all.
    ~Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy

  12. #12
    I dont think its going to be a problem because GW2 seems to have a much more intuitive gameplay and learning process.
    The thing many people dont seem to realize is that WoW does a terrible job of teaching players about the game. The complete lack of tutorials and ingame information and nonexistance of a learning curve (spend 80 levels facerolling everything, then do a dungeon where mistakes suddenly lead to instant death) mean that without outside help its pretty rough for beginners to actually get a grasp of the gameplay and many of them come into a situation where they're expected to know how to play but nobody actually wants to teach them.
    Overall GW2 seems much more intuitive. Learning curve seems to be there, I noticed enemies getting tougher and using more conditions and CC after level 30 during BWE2. Lets hope is goes up even more while leveling so that we dont have guys asking "wuts weakness do" when doing a lvl 80 boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by icylock View Post
    Gamon spends more time of his knees and back than haris pilton...

  13. #13
    Just about every MMO finds it's core audience in time. Bandwagoners drop off after a few months and so on.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-08-12 at 01:04 AM. Reason: dirty thoughts

  14. #14
    Scarab Lord Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Eternal Alchemy
    Posts
    4,019
    Also, I have to state that the community is really a refreshing change from other games. I never saw anyone cursing out a healer (whoops, no healers), or calling people noobs or gtfo or any of that - saw people helping each other (you are rewarded for playing together), it's as normal as breathing air to start traveling in packs, there's no stealing kills or nodes. Brilliant way to design a great community
    Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all.
    ~Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy

  15. #15
    Field Marshal PropayneLOL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    83
    The other day on the stress test, PvP Red vs Blue. I was on the red team it was a really fun and close game i think we finished on 470 something and as the blue got to 500 all I hear from some random on our team is "you noobs", I could not believe it for someone to say that during a stress test game hasn't even been released yet and it was a very close match the entire time. It's people like that who are not needed in the gw2 community.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Also, I have to state that the community is really a refreshing change from other games. I never saw anyone cursing out a healer (whoops, no healers), or calling people noobs or gtfo or any of that - saw people helping each other (you are rewarded for playing together), it's as normal as breathing air to start traveling in packs, there's no stealing kills or nodes. Brilliant way to design a great community
    The Beta and forums during beta is mostly going to be filled with people who are very interested in the game anyway, please don't try and judge the community before the release occurs.

  17. #17
    Warchief Cherrysoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,015
    Quote Originally Posted by PropayneLOL View Post
    The other day on the stress test, PvP Red vs Blue. I was on the red team it was a really fun and close game i think we finished on 470 something and as the blue got to 500 all I hear from some random on our team is "you noobs", I could not believe it for someone to say that during a stress test game hasn't even been released yet and it was a very close match the entire time. It's people like that who are not needed in the gw2 community.

    Totally, similar happened the other day to us in PVP, when we where all lagging and rubber banding, someone had the cheek to say something similar to a mate. Golfclap , seriously. Sadly an MMO is essentially the internet so there will always be a few dickheads on a server. No matter how awesome the game is.

  18. #18
    I see where you're coming from - the idiots refuse to revive others/not do the mechanics of the event just to grief - but even if the event fails, people will still get a gold medal for helping and it will go to the next part of the chain.. so not much is lost.
    I believe Arena.Net said a while back after the first.. BWE that they would fine tune the events to respond to the amount of players actively taking part in the event. Could be wrong though.

  19. #19
    Anet has said that they try to grief every aspect of their game, and if they find a way to, they either fix it or remove it entirely. Of course the game will not be 100% grief-proof, but it seems better than most imo.

  20. #20
    if people are bad, they should "hopefully" die sooner or later, at which point they stop being a hindrance or whatever.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •