Poll: Will people that not put any effort in helping harm your experience?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Must admit that I am a bit worried, seen quite a few videos of people running around spamming their 1 ability for the weapon (and yes everything else was unlocked) and nothing else...

Both for pvp and pve this would be very unacceptable, as I am sure most people will agree with, it is pretty much tantamount to having a player stood there, increasing the difficulty of the encounter by doing nothing and increasing the difficulty of the accounter by being there (scaling). There are these people out there, nomatter how well the game goes about trying to teach people how to use their skills, or tell them how their class works, you will get idiots, Guild Wars 2 will NOT go free of them. Even if melee rangers might work, and some weapon sets for the different mages require a more close-contact approach than others, that doesn't mean that there aren't other ways in which idiots can harm your experience, by being idiots.

And even if they are bad, and don't know how to ressurect, they will still be taking up a spot in your pvp team, or increasing the difficulty of the dynamic event in pve, just by being there. I don't think the content scales to such an extent that you have to have everyone be at their cutting edge of gameplay to succeed in DE's, but still.

The #1 key by default is auto attack. Most often players are not "spamming" that key in videos, per se. It fires off automatically. So they may be using other abilities intermittently [long CDs] or simply using the #1 key automatically.

Some weapon types & professions have their most powerful and effective direct damage abilities on the #1 key. Other skills may be highly situational or ineffective in a situation.

For example, a rifle Engineer may only need to use 2 of abilities in a large DE as the other are mobility based. Turrets are auto firing or may not even be in the DE. Or a shortbow Ranger may only be using 2 of abilities for DD and signets, etc, etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Because it scales on those present that participate. Pretty brilliant and darn near troll proof.
    Also, Anet is not shy about banning griefers or botters - no sub fee, remember? (pst look for the big guy with a scythe)

I wonder if you can dodge out if that oO

Only in sPvP games it would matter... otherwise no. Since I wont be grouping with them for dungeons.
    WvW is too big for some slackers/noobs to have bigger impact (especially that all 3 sides will have em).

Quote Originally Posted by PropayneLOL View Post
    The other day on the stress test, PvP Red vs Blue. I was on the red team it was a really fun and close game i think we finished on 470 something and as the blue got to 500 all I hear from some random on our team is "you noobs", I could not believe it for someone to say that during a stress test game hasn't even been released yet and it was a very close match the entire time. It's people like that who are not needed in the gw2 community.
    You should have noted that random name and promptly proceeded to report them for verbal abuse. Arena net has been known for being strict but fair in these matters and would most likely ban the person in question.
    Which I find a great policy. Give them an inch and so forth..

Deleted
    The other day on the stress test, PvP Red vs Blue. I was on the red team it was a really fun and close game i think we finished on 470 something and as the blue got to 500 all I hear from some random on our team is "you noobs", I could not believe it for someone to say that during a stress test game hasn't even been released yet and it was a very close match the entire time. It's people like that who are not needed in the gw2 community.
    that person tried to look cool in some way, but failed pretty hard imo. It's not anything cool about bashing other people, espacially in a stress test lol. :P

edit: and Im sure as long other players make sure to show in some way they do not tolerate bad behavior or simply report someone who does, the bad attitude will fade away as it will not become the norm any longer. Don't let them win by giving them what they want. ^^
    Last edited by mmocb459402ede; 2012-08-12 at 11:38 AM.

Deleted
    Oh god - I haven't encountered a good screamer in a PvP match...well, for a while. The ones that scream through the entire match are funny - but the ones who keep quiet the whole game...but feel the need to launch that one last toxic comment make me chuckle.

But yes - it would be a great, great shame if that kind of individual pollutes GW2.

I played Rift, on and off, for around 6+ months...never encountered it there, which was nice...but I wondered if that was just the launch honeymoon period. Maybe it's just the kind of game...or maybe when a games population gets so large, some tipping point is reached and the pleasantness of the population degrades.

But yes - it would be a great, great shame if that kind of individual pollutes GW2.

I played Rift, on and off, for around 6+ months...never encountered it there, which was nice...but I wondered if that was just the launch honeymoon period. Maybe it's just the kind of game...or maybe when a games population gets so large, some tipping point is reached and the pleasantness of the population degrades.
    It's simply game population and broad audience. Warcraft is not only a HUGE game; it's the broadest, simplest and most accessible MMO short of like MMOs actually made for children. Like Toontown and such. Can see a high volume of negative attitude in League of Legends as well- a free, simple, colorful and hugely popular game.

Games with more niche and smaller audiences tend to have a lot less of that sort of negativity. Really don't see that kind of trash talking or generally juvenile behavior to the same degree in say... Fallen Earth or Ryzom, for example.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's simply game population and broad audience. Warcraft is not only a HUGE game; it's the broadest, simplest and most accessible MMO short of like MMOs actually made for children. Like Toontown and such. Can see a high volume of negative attitude in League of Legends as well- a free, simple, colorful and hugely popular game.

Games with more niche and smaller audiences tend to have a lot less of that sort of negativity. Really don't see that kind of trash talking or generally juvenile behavior to the same degree in say... Fallen Earth or Ryzom, for example.
    See - this is deeply interesting stuff and I agree that it feels like its size and breadth of player-base.

Put 3 people in a room and all will be fine...but 5 in and someone will start an argument - fascinating!

Deleted
    well not every person could play Beta and get familiar with game and class mechanics

ahhh the only lifeline of people wanting to play sub games "better quality players in sub games compared to lots of idiots / noobs in F2P games"... yeah right LOL

i voted no. 1: im not going to be in dungeons with them 2: im not going into the tournaments with them. 3: playing random pvp i will just mostly likely be trying out new builds and honing my skills, trying out new builds for the tournaments dont care win or lose 4: idiots / noobs in WvW die as quick as they can spawn.

Deleted
    I kinda have mixed feelings about less skilled players.

If someone just isn't an experienced or skilled gamer....or they're just learning or whatever, I have no problem. I've happily gone on runs with folk who aren't as good...because they're fun or because it's just been a really nice dynamic - even if it's taken twice as long (or you don't even complete) and multiple wipes, that's fine.

What I do limit my contact with is rudeness...or bad attitude. For me, those folk are the noobs - because they fail to see the meta-game of social interaction...and in a social game the meta-game of social interaction is the number one skill to master.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    What I do limit my contact with is rudeness...or bad attitude. For me, those folk are the noobs - because they fail to see the meta-game of social interaction...and in a social game the meta-game of social interaction is the number one skill to master.
    I understand what you are saying here. However, I think games nowadays do not emphasize the novelty of playing alongside other people. And as such there are those players who simply want to play the game and don't give two wits about befriending Sally Standsinfire outside Qeynos.

Esp. as more games have multiplayer components than in the past. Specifically, true, persistent multiplayer has reached a mass market of gamers on console and PC now. Within and without the MMO genre as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    I kinda have mixed feelings about less skilled players.

If someone just isn't an experienced or skilled gamer....or they're just learning or whatever, I have no problem. I've happily gone on runs with folk who aren't as good...because they're fun or because it's just been a really nice dynamic - even if it's taken twice as long (or you don't even complete) and multiple wipes, that's fine.

Yeah, it's the difference between newbs and noobs. I think GW2 does it best to emphasize group experience, so I hope the gameplay will translate to better interaction between players. µ

Also note that a small community will self-police better than a large one. The more popular a game becomes, the worse the community can be.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Yes, but I think it's a difficult question, as there's definitely a spectrum. In WoW if you have a pug in a heroic (at release of cata) that was completely useless depending on the instance it could be easily game breaking, in LoL (not an mmo but valid comparison), or most DOTA style games, it's a lost game for sure and has bred this almost violent level of hate in the community.

While GW2 this problem will mostly arise in the small 5 man dungeons, I would assume, it's existence I would feel be not as bad. Without the holy trinity and general adaptability of each class, losing a player because of the "noob" wouldn't be as severe.
    Last edited by mmoc4dbf57f1e8; 2012-08-12 at 03:52 PM.

The only reason a wow player has any influence in wow is because of armory and achievements/arena ratings. No one cares about gear nor ratings in GW2 so these people will die out like the sad plagues they are over MMO society, and they can go back to licking Activision-Blizzard's self-destructive p.o.s expansion's butt.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have never had a problem with a players skill level to me what is the most irratating thing about mmos is the rampant narcissism a few select people have
    one of the many reasons wows community bad has gotten such a bad image, its usually those who scream the loudest that have the lack of actual skill
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    The only reason a wow player has any influence in wow is because of armory and achievements/arena ratings. No one cares about gear nor ratings in GW2 so these people will die out like the sad plagues they are over MMO society, and they can go back to licking Activision-Blizzard's self-destructive p.o.s expansion's butt.
    This sort of post is another problem with today's MMOs in addition to the in-game behaviour. Time was that if you didn't enjoy a game, you just wouldn't play it and that was it. Nowadays, if you don't play a game or don't enjoy it, it's almost an obligation to bash that game and insult the players who find that game fun. Just check out the MMO-related posts on sites like Massively; any game, be it GW2, TOR, WoW, Rift, has people bashing it. One would think there's no fun game at all on the market.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I understand what you are saying here. However, I think games nowadays do not emphasize the novelty of playing alongside other people. And as such there are those players who simply want to play the game and don't give two wits about befriending Sally Standsinfire outside Qeynos.

Esp. as more games have multiplayer components than in the past. Specifically, true, persistent multiplayer has reached a mass market of gamers on console and PC now. Within and without the MMO genre as well.
    Well, I'm not necessarily saying that everyone has to be your new best friend...just to recognise that screaming and swearing at the rest of the team is counter-productive. Even if all you care about is completing the dungeon - a relaxed, happy team is more likely to produce the results you want than a stressed out unhappy team...and in the longer term, if you're an arse, you'll go on ignore lists - making it less likely you'll get what you want.

I know things like cross-server LFG decrease the impact of the ignore list...but they don't remove it entirely...and when a game is long lived this can be quite significant.

I don't go around world of warcraft bashing the game. I cancelled my account the moment marshes of crapdaria was announced. When blizzard offers me 10 days of free gameplay 6 months from now I won't install the game and go bash the people playing it because they're playing it.

That doesn't change the fact that I'm a human being with emotions of revulsion towards a community which accepts no criticism of their crack-cockaine mmo, which destroys itself in every way possible just to appeal to the planet's largest population demographic. While in the first months I simply couldn't hold back, I now simply don't give a shit anymore, and you treating me like some "basher" just shows what kind of people I'm supposed to deal with.

If their idea of "having fun" in the next expansion is coming over to bash GW2, they can SUCK IT, I don't go over there bashing their shit even though every instinct of respect towards the old Warcraft franchise tells me I should.
    Last edited by ragnarokvr1; 2012-08-12 at 04:02 PM.