Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sills View Post
    Decency and sportsmanship are getting rare it seems. To be fair, there were a couple Canadian olympians who bawled their eyes out when they lost this year so it does happen. Was hard to watch...
    It's possible they weren't as much upset at losing as they thought they could have done X thing better than they did. I would be pretty angry at myself if I got all the way to the Olympics and my performance didn't meet my own personal standards. Perhaps not, but it could apply to some anyway.

During every event, especially where athletes are crowded together, there are a few people who fall down, destroying any chance they had of winning. I just want to hug them. That must be an awful feeling.

Deleted
    You need some self awareness and self confidence to become a great athlete. How would you improve if you constantly think you're the best even if you get your ass handed to you? You need to find your own weaknesses to be able to improve. That's why the bad attituded sore losers are home watching the olympics in their couch wondering why athletes respect eachother.

Deleted
    Ofc they are. They are just acting

10+ Year Old Account
    Because they are just happy they made it to the Olympics; metaling is just the icing on the cake.
    Time is the greatest teacher, but unfortunately, it ends up killing all of its students.

10+ Year Old Account
    Crying doesn't necessarily make you a bad sportsman. You've just finished an event that you've trained for years for, working hard and putting in so much effort and sacrifice.

And one error, one little mistake and you've blown your chances at the big prize. I'd be pretty damn upset at that point too, I'm actually amazed how many of them keep their composure and go to congratulate the winner, it's exceptionally positive conduct.

That said, if I trained and sacrificed everything and came second to someone like Usain Bolt, I'd be overjoyed. There's no shame in being second best to one of the all time greats.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by riseoftheuk View Post
    I dont get it when they miss out on the medal they are still so happy...

If it was me i would be calling the winner a cheat and a drug user and everything.

Im a bad loser on little things I just dont like losing but love winning.

Why aren't olympians like this? They are always so nice on the tv to everyone and like ' i didnt get a medal but congratulations'.

There should be at least 1 or 2 who say 'yeah well we know that mofo is on drugs and that he cheats all the time'.

Not one.

Why?
    There's probably a lot of reasons

1) for the major sports, most of these people are professional athletes, thus a rage in front of millions hurts their sponsorship value.
    2) for fringe sports, they get a chance to play in front of thousands of people live and millions worldwide, where they'll only draw 20 to 30 people at a typical tournament. Really how many people go and watch skeet shooting tournaments?
    3) most people are actually pretty decent people, and getting 4th is still 4th best in the world, that's still pretty cool.
    4) most will do their whining off camera, kind of like the swimming controversies of this year where behind closed doors there was talk about some of the chinese swimmers doping or otherwise. Or the age controversy of the chinese gymnasts from the last olympics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Errr not all of them are.

China seemed like really bad losers to me this Olympics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azalu View Post
    Errr not all of them are.

China seemed like really bad losers to me this Olympics.
    That's cause the winners get showered with awards and public affection, while the losers are shunted aside.