Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Movies] If you can't beat em, join em. Remake/reboots you want to see.

So I think we can all admit, this is the year.... well decade, of the remake/reboot.

As this trend doesn't seem to be finishing any time soon, might as well try to steer it in the right direction....

So if you had to remake one movie from the past, which film would you remake, how and why?

For me it would have to be Highlander, the very first one. This was one of my favourite films as a kid, but now going back to watch it.... It just SCREAMS for a remake/reboot. The story is solid, great mythology, a good base to expand on... So what is the problem? why exactly do I think it needs a remake?

Simple, this is a film about supernatural swordfighters.... but the fights are GODAWFUL, and the effects are super lame (which is to be expected, it was made in the 80s )

so if I was in charge, I'd get a good cast, preferably with some basis in martial arts, get a decent fight choreographer, throw in a little CGI and just go nuts, make the film how it should have been!

So what would y'all choose?
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

15+ Year Old Account
    It might be sacrilege, but an adaptation of "Apocalypse Now" (heart of darkness) doing a modern twist might be entertaining. I like what Stalone has done with The Expendables. I'd like to see more throwback to the 80's style action films.

I'd also like to see some films in the vein of John Hughes. I'm not talking about remaking Sixteen Candles, but a film that captures that spirit would be fun maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I'd also like to see some films in the vein of John Hughes. I'm not talking about remaking Sixteen Candles, but a film that captures that spirit would be fun maybe.
    Maybe a modern Breakfast Club? I'd really enjoy that as long as they kept the outcast vibe and didn't try to make every kid "hip"

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    For me it would have to be Highlander, the very first one. This was one of my favourite films as a kid, but now going back to watch it.... It just SCREAMS for a remake/reboot. The story is solid, great mythology, a good base to expand on... So what is the problem? why exactly do I think it needs a remake?
    have you seen the newer highlander movies? they are god awful haha

can't really think of anything i'd like remade tbh

With all the great CGI we have nowadays, a proper remake of the old cartoon He-Man.

Last edited by soliddevil; 2012-08-12 at 02:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, funny you should mention this.

My friend and I just went to see the new Batman movie the other day. On the way in, I was looking at the sign outside, and saw the Total Recall remake listed. We started talking about it, and about how they're remaking freaking EVERYTHING. So I was like, "What next, a new Judge Dredd?" ...little did I know >.> But I'm actually looking forward to it now. I enjoyed the first one.

I also found out ol' Ridley Scott's doing a new Blade Runner. That one's got me pretty stoked, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Lol, funny you should mention this.

My friend and I just went to see the new Batman movie the other day. On the way in, I was looking at the sign outside, and saw the Total Recall remake listed. We started talking about it, and about how they're remaking freaking EVERYTHING. So I was like, "What next, a new Judge Dredd?" ...little did I know >.> But I'm actually looking forward to it now. I enjoyed the first one.

I also found out ol' Ridley Scott's doing a new Blade Runner. That one's got me pretty stoked, too.
    well the new dredd movie is a different story than the older dredd movie. it's a comic book series so has lots of material

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pocky_rin View Post
    Maybe a modern Breakfast Club? I'd really enjoy that as long as they kept the outcast vibe and didn't try to make every kid "hip"
    It would be such a delicate balance that I'm almost afraid for them to try.

I don't think a straight Breakfast Club remake would work though. It would have to be an adaptation of some sort.

10+ Year Old Account
    It might be sacrilege, but an adaptation of "Apocalypse Now" (heart of darkness) doing a modern twist might be entertaining. I like what Stalone has done with The Expendables. I'd like to see more throwback to the 80's style action films.
    Ooooh first answer in the thread and it's a freakin epic one... sacrilege or not, I would pay ANY money to see a well made Apocalypse now/Heart of Darkness movie.... oh the possibilites....

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    have you seen the newer highlander movies? they are god awful haha

can't really think of anything i'd like remade tbh
    Yeah, but that's all the more reason to make a GOOD new one, not a crappy, progressively worse sequal, but a remake/reboot of the original one, before it jumped the shark totally with the followups
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    I really dislike remakes on the whole. Really the only remakes/reboots I would like to see are ones that are based on source material that the original film did not do justice to like Constantine, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, or Daredevil (this one looks to be happening soon already)

Well is certain things had to be remade I wouldn't necessarily want to remake great classics, but remake movies that had good potential but just failed. And maybe have a good reboot of a good franchise that is currently dead (like what Rise of the Planet of the Apes was).

Super Mario Bros - The original movie was horrible, if Wreck-it Ralph is successful I would love to see a movie reboot for Super Mario Bros. but make it an animated movie that doesn't make your brain hurt in stupidity. It could be great

Eragon Series - It could be the next thing with the teens and such if it was done right, the first movie was not at all. This is one worth remaking if it brought justice to the books.

Scooby Doo - Make it good and actually what Scooby Doo is about this time and that is revealing monsters to be who they are, ordinary people with bad intentions, and not actually have real monsters.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Do I need to give a reason? The graphic novels are great, the movie was terrible.

The Fantastic Four - It could tie in really well if Marvel made them, if and only if Marvel made them and not Fox.

Jurassic Park - Ok I admit it, I have a part of me that wants to see Dinosaurs with 2012 graphics just rip stuff apart. Sure it'd most likely be terrible, but then again people though Rise of the Planet of the Apes would most likely be terrible.

A Coen Brothers adaptation of The Iliad would be a movie-of-the-year for me. In the vein of Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?, but obviously with a different setting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Well is certain things had to be remade I wouldn't necessarily want to remake great classics, but remake movies that had good potential but just failed. And maybe have a good reboot of a good franchise that is currently dead (like what Rise of the Planet of the Apes was).

Super Mario Bros - The original movie was horrible, if Wreck-it Ralph is successful I would love to see a movie reboot for Super Mario Bros. but make it an animated movie that doesn't make your brain hurt in stupidity. It could be great

Eragon Series - It could be the next thing with the teens and such if it was done right, the first movie was not at all. This is one worth remaking if it brought justice to the books.

Scooby Doo - Make it good and actually what Scooby Doo is about this time and that is revealing monsters to be who they are, ordinary people with bad intentions, and not actually have real monsters.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Do I need to give a reason? The graphic novels are great, the movie was terrible.

The Fantastic Four - It could tie in really well if Marvel made them, if and only if Marvel made them and not Fox.

Jurassic Park - Ok I admit it, I have a part of me that wants to see Dinosaurs with 2012 graphics just rip stuff apart. Sure it'd most likely be terrible, but then again people though Rise of the Planet of the Apes would most likely be terrible.
    IMO if you compare 1993 JP to current CGI, there isn't really as much progress as you would have expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    A Coen Brothers adaptation of The Iliad would be a movie-of-the-year for me. In the vein of Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?, but obviously with a different setting.
    I would agree with the Iliad maybe even the Odyssey if done well.

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    IMO if you compare 1993 JP to current CGI, there isn't really as much progress as you would have expected.
    I'm talking if they made it good CGI instead of the typical bad CGI.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would agree with the Iliad maybe even the Odyssey if done well.

I'm talking if they made it good CGI instead of the typical bad CGI.
    They already did The Odyssey, its called "Oh Brother, Where Art Though?."

And I meant good CGI, if you compare it to modern stuff its kind of disappointing how little progress has been made in 20 years.

---------- Post added 2012-08-11 at 08:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    Seven Samurai.
    Only if they did it right and made it 3 hours long and didn't overuse pulley and cable fight sequences, which I know they would.
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    They already did The Odyssey, its called "Oh Brother, Where Art Though?."

And I meant good CGI, if you compare it to modern stuff its kind of disappointing how little progress has been made in 20 years.
    Oh Brother, Where Art Though is based on the Odyssey, maybe a modern version of it, but it isn't the Odyssey. Similar to how West Side Story is a modern version of Romeo and Juliet but it is not Romeo and Juliet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh Brother, Where Art Though is based on the Odyssey, maybe a modern version of it, but it isn't the Odyssey. Similar to how West Side Story is a modern version of Romeo and Juliet but it is not Romeo and Juliet.
    Well I'm guessing that's what Badpaladin was talking about.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Oh Brother, Where Art Thou is one of my favourite all time films. I support this suggestion for what it's worth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh Brother, Where Art Thou is one of my favourite all time films. I support this suggestion for what it's worth.
    I love using lines from that movie and getting blank stares from people, "you two are dumber than a bag of hammers" lol.