Thread: Field of view

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ...
2
10
11
12
13
14
... LastLast
  1. #221
    Mechagnome galaxiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Grove
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    You misunderstand. For some people, the "game is flawless" is a belief. For you, "game is awesome" is a belief.

    These are two very different beliefs. One accepts the flaws and wants them fixed. One aggressively denies the flaws even when they're obvious.
    No I understand. I just hate the ones that aggressively deny flaws. I wasn't saying I was one of them, just that people can still love the game just as much as the "flawless" believers without being ignorant.


    Sylvari Necromancer


  2. #222
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxiah View Post
    No I understand. I just hate the ones that aggressively deny flaws. I wasn't saying I was one of them, just that people can still love the game just as much as the "flawless" believers without being ignorant.
    The problem is that your type and their type tends to call themselves by the same term. In a way, it's not that different from, for example, a moderate religious person and extremist religious person define themselves by the same term regardless of the fact that their beliefs are often polar opposites.

    Hence, misunderstandings arise.

  3. #223
    If ppl could points us in the past that their sickness was not caused from the <<not enought ability to zoom out>> (whch they increased x2 times in the 2 different tests ) , but tried to point out the FoV , the problems would be solved faster...
    So if this site knew to recognise the problem faster instead of apeshitting , that problem would be fixxed ... (i am not talking about Narrex)
    GW2 : Plzbegentle - Ruins of Surmia EU - Sylvari Engineer
    WoW: Vergin - Deathwing EU - Elf Resto Druid (27/05/05 - 02/04/12 Perma-Banned- Unhappy whinning PvP customer - whos begged from 4.1 to get rid of the RNG of Regrowth ... )
    It seems ppl have the energy to whine for a game , for not beeing exactly like their <<main>> game , while it dont have a SUB , and they dont have the courage to whine at their Game Master for slacking and producing few PvE content ...

  4. #224
    Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    If ppl could points us in the past that their sickness was not caused from the <<not enought ability to zoom out>> (whch they increased x2 times in the 2 different tests ) , but tried to point out the FoV , the problems would be solved faster...
    So if this site knew to recognise the problem faster instead of apeshitting , that problem would be fixxed ... (i am not talking about Narrex)
    It's a real unfortunate thing, from what I have seen when a field of view thread gets started on the official forum, it takes so little time before it gets drowned out by people crying about zoom. So I fear the message gets lost in the ocean of ignorance :-(

  5. #225
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Then maybe gaming isn't for you, lol?
    for a mod, this a great reply.


  6. #226
    Mechagnome Hjalmtyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    U.K. England
    Posts
    716
    It's mainly because people see 'FoV' + 'MMORPG' and think 'Oh it's about zoom!'

    And when you tell them it isn't about zoom, their fragile minds cannot handle the concept that the camera in a third person video game has FoV and they start telling you that you're overreacting.

    Overreacting over a medical issue. It's like telling someone having an epileptic fit to stop being a pussy.

  7. #227
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    It's mainly because people see 'FoV' + 'MMORPG' and think 'Oh it's about zoom!'
    well, on their defence, they are right to assume that, because all other MMO's when you zoom out or in it dynamically changes the FoV, GW2 is the first MMO i played that doesnt do that at all.

    thats the reason players like me are asking for a FoV Slider since BWE1


  8. #228
    Mechagnome Hjalmtyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    U.K. England
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    well, on their defence, they are right to assume that, because all other MMO's when you zoom out or in it dynamically changes the FoV, GW2 is the first MMO i played that doesnt do that at all.

    thats the reason players like me are asking for a FoV Slider since BWE1
    I don't blame them for thinking that, but they continue to think it even after we've told them why they're wrong.

  9. #229
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,047
    It's just difficult for them to imagine. Especially if they haven't been able to participate in any of the beta events lol.

  10. #230
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    It's just difficult for them to imagine. Especially if they haven't been able to participate in any of the beta events lol.
    I've participated in every event (minus one stress test) and still have can't imagine it. On a shitty 4x3 screen.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

  11. #231
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I've participated in every event (minus one stress test) and still have can't imagine it. On a shitty 4x3 screen.
    ^essentially this

    Except I have widescreen.

    Honestly, I'm not against the idea of an FoV slider, but it almost seems to me that an FoV slider is pointless, because anybody who knows about the ability to change the FoV would simply maximize it as much as possible.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-20 at 04:18 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  12. #232
    Is colorblind mode also pointless? Seriously, FoV options are standard in PC gaming nowadays. Answers like "gaming isn't for you", "you're a minority, noone cares about you" or "I don't need it so it shouldn't be there" (not necessarily direct quotes, but certainly suggested) shouldn't come from anyone who thinks they know about good game design.

    This simply makes for an inferior product (if it isn't changed sometime down the road), there aren't any advantages to not including it.

  13. #233
    Mechagnome Hjalmtyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    U.K. England
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    Is colorblind mode also pointless? Seriously, FoV options are standard in PC gaming nowadays. Answers like "gaming isn't for you", "you're a minority, noone cares about you" or "I don't need it so it shouldn't be there" (not necessarily direct quotes, but certainly suggested) shouldn't come from anyone who thinks they know about good game design.

    This simply makes for an inferior product (if it isn't changed sometime down the road), there aren't any advantages to not including it.
    Precisely this. I see so many bizarre options and it's really irritating when an FoV slider isn't there. It can't be that hard to implement. You would only get warping once the FoV passes around 120. If you don't have an FoV slider, have dynamic FoV on zoom. There's all sorts of tiny nitpicky options in video games nowadays. If there's an option to sate someone's OCD (slightly higher res character models option), why shouldn't there be an option to cure someone's sickness?

  14. #234
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    Precisely this. I see so many bizarre options and it's really irritating when an FoV slider isn't there. It can't be that hard to implement. You would only get warping once the FoV passes around 120. If you don't have an FoV slider, have dynamic FoV on zoom. There's all sorts of tiny nitpicky options in video games nowadays. If there's an option to sate someone's OCD (slightly higher res character models option), why shouldn't there be an option to cure someone's sickness?
    With the average MMORPG, You start getting warping around 65 degrees and you start getting clipping around 70 degrees

    It's why most MMORPGs have the same FOV. If the game is designed for higher FOV so it's not warping/clipping then you leave out so many players on 4:3 or smaller monitors it becomes a revenue loss.
    Having the option is fine, but costs money and there aren't 5% of people who'd ever use it in an MMORPG so it is not profitable. There are ways to adapt multiple monitors to most games that has nothing to do with the actual game itself and only the hardware. The signal the game puts out can be manipulated to do what you want with it if your hardware can handle it.

    An in game option for FOV makes no sense. It's a waste of money. In a game with competitive aspirations like GW2, it adds another bump to the playing field.
    Last edited by formerblizzemployee; 2012-08-20 at 05:51 PM.

  15. #235
    Dreadlord flarecde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    Seriously, FoV options are standard in PC gaming nowadays.
    Really? I'd like to think I've played my fair share of games, and I've never encountered one where changing the FoV didn't involve some serious ini editing or a console modification. Most of that was in FPS or other first person games, too. The only MMO I've ever played that you could even edit the FoV was Aion, and that was through debug commands of questionable legality. Not saying the option shouldn't be there, but it's hardly ubiquitous.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

  16. #236
    Mechagnome Hjalmtyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    U.K. England
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by formerblizzemployee View Post
    With the average MMORPG, You start getting warping around 65 degrees and you start getting clipping around 70 degrees

    It's why most MMORPGs have the same FOV. If the game is designed for higher FOV so it's not warping/clipping then you leave out so many players on 4:3 or smaller monitors it becomes a revenue loss.
    Having the option is fine, but costs money and there aren't 5% of people who'd ever use it in an MMORPG so it is not profitable. There are ways to adapt multiple monitors to most games that has nothing to do with the actual game itself and only the hardware. The signal the game puts out can be manipulated to do what you want with it if your hardware can handle it.

    An in game option for FOV makes no sense. It's a waste of money. In a game with competitive aspirations like GW2, it adds another bump to the playing field.
    Sure there's warping on 4:3 monitors, but who the hell has a 4:3 monitor when you suffer from motion sickness? Also, I think you'll find there isn't warping and clipping around that FoV because some MMORPGs dynamically change FoV beyond 65 and 70 without warping. Some up to 90, though this is infrequent.

    Adding an FoV slider, yes a slider - Doesn't force you to use high FoVs, would not bring any revenue loss at all. The amount of money it would cost compared to the amount of money it would bring in is unquestionably profitable.

  17. #237
    Quote Originally Posted by formerblizzemployee View Post
    With the average MMORPG, You start getting warping around 65 degrees and you start getting clipping around 70 degrees

    It's why most MMORPGs have the same FOV. If the game is designed for higher FOV so it's not warping/clipping then you leave out so many players on 4:3 or smaller monitors it becomes a revenue loss.
    Having the option is fine, but costs money and there aren't 5% of people who'd ever use it in an MMORPG.
    if there are still 4:3 out there, same as there are 16:9, than just put an option in to slide it at minimum for a 4:3 and at max for a 16:9 (or what ever the exotic screen should be).... and if someone likes to play with a bit of warp, well let him play how he likes...
    fakt for me is atm, that the game sometimes feels like i walk with "pulled in neck" and wired head movements around the screen, trying to see the bits that are outside the fov...

  18. #238
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    Sure there's warping on 4:3 monitors, but who the hell has a 4:3 monitor when you suffer from motion sickness? Also, I think you'll find there isn't warping and clipping around that FoV because some MMORPGs dynamically change FoV beyond 65 and 70 without warping. Some up to 90, though this is infrequent.

    Adding an FoV slider, yes a slider - Doesn't force you to use high FoVs, would not bring any revenue loss at all. The amount of money it would cost compared to the amount of money it would bring in is unquestionably profitable.
    Game is made for X FOV.

    changing that at all in either direction creates noticeable warping in 3-5 degrees.

    It has no affect on motion sickness whatsoever. Like I said, 5% of people would use it if they could. It's not necessary in any way. Around 15-20% of gamers are colorblind, around 35% of people use color blind options. At the last arena tournament, 100% of people had colorblind options turned on for the more visible nameplates. Colorblind mode is a fancy name for what it is mostly used for. More visible nameplates since red is a poor choice for enemy namplates in pvp, but it's an old 'standard'.

    FOV is a preference thing only. The game is designed to give you enough information on your screen with the default FOV.

    There really is no shining example of a 3rd person view and high FOV worth mentioning. It's an FPS thing. 60 degrees is the best option out of the box if you're targeting a large audience and no 3rd person game on the market right now incorporates the technology to dynamically retune FOV based on user preference. The technology is there, but it's new and right now, pointless.

    ---------- Post added 2012-08-20 at 12:02 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Aio View Post
    if there are still 4:3 out there, same as there are 16:9, than just put an option in to slide it at minimum for a 4:3 and at max for a 16:9 (or what ever the exotic screen should be).... and if someone likes to play with a bit of warp, well let him play how he likes...
    fakt for me is atm, that the game sometimes feels like i walk with "pulled in neck" and wired head movements around the screen, trying to see the bits that are outside the fov...
    Studies have been done in WoW which is where i get my 5% numbers. Doing anything to appease 5% of your customers is suicide. In 10 years it will be a common option much like colorblind mode, as wider/bigger monitors, better hardware and everything needed for exotic FOVs is cheaper and more accessible, there will be a financial reason to tap into that market.

    Right now there is not.
    Last edited by formerblizzemployee; 2012-08-20 at 06:04 PM.

  19. #239
    Mechagnome Hjalmtyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    U.K. England
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by formerblizzemployee View Post
    FOV is a preference thing only. The game is designed to give you enough information on your screen with the default FOV.
    You paying attention? Medical issue, not preference. You're saying it's just a preference thing when it's proven fact that some people feel ill on low FoV?

    You know, there have been times before where the game devs have claimed it would cause warping, and someone has forced FoV and proved it wouldn't. It's plain laziness, let's be honest. It rarely causes warping unless the FoV it's being stretched to is ridiculous.

    I don't even see how colourblind mode is relevant here. They turn colourblind mode on so they perform better. That's why people turn FoV up to 120 degrees in FPS. At the end of the day, colourblind mode is a preference thing, FoV is not. Unless someone feels ill unless in colourblind mode, it's a preference thing.

    Also, sources with your statistics, please. 15-20% of gamers are colourblind? I don't know anyone who's colourblind and I've never met someone who's colourblind. You're saying that essentially 1 in 5 gamers are colourblind. I don't believe that tbh.

  20. #240
    Quote Originally Posted by formerblizzemployee View Post

    Studies have been done in WoW which is where i get my 5% numbers. Doing anything to appease 5% of your customers is suicide. In 10 years it will be a common option much like colorblind mode, as wider/bigger monitors, better hardware and everything needed for exotic FOVs is cheaper and more accessible, there will be a financial reason to tap into that market.

    Right now there is not.
    Sorry my friend but you lost me right there... If you try to tell me that more ppl have 4:3 than other sizes, i have to think something is wrong with recent information or you simply using very old one...
    And btw, we are talking about a change of the width in the angle of the viewing point and not implementing some sort of rocket science... well if it makes the "5%" happy, put in a slash command and all is good....
    "Studies have been done...." - sickening

    EDIT says: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/br...ion_higher.asp ( i know its w3schools statistics, but gamers do browse! )
    Last edited by Aio; 2012-08-20 at 06:21 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •