Thread: Field of view

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
5
13
14
15
16
17
LastLast
  1. #281
    Not entirely sure what was added when, but the latest changes include the camera can be moved back a bit more than before, also camera position can be moved to the right and the left a bit, for a over the shoulder kind of look.
    Imo the camera itself is hugging the ground a bit too much still and ofc there's a lack of a FoV slider of any kind.
    As far as other camera issues go, I find the smoothness and the free look camera are fine atm, as well as the amount of zoom available. Some want a first person view, but apart from ease of taking screenshots I don't see the need. But by all means I'm for more options than less.
    And a lot of the options are not difficult nor time consuming to add.

  2. #282
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    159
    Field of view does not affect me much, and I don't really care to have one. What I really don't like in fpg's is that you can't feel stuff around you (and that will never be fixable.) So, I'm often shooting at someone, and while I'm doing so, I'm trying to get behind cover. But, I will often hit something, like a box, and not be able to move, and by the time that I either move the character around until it goes back, or I turn around to see what is happening, I'm dead. That's extremely frustrating and is the main downside of FPG's

  3. #283
    I wish people would stop banging on about camera zoom.

    Camera zoom is not FoV.

  4. #284
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorlak View Post
    Field of view does not affect me much, and I don't really care to have one. What I really don't like in fpg's is that you can't feel stuff around you (and that will never be fixable.) So, I'm often shooting at someone, and while I'm doing so, I'm trying to get behind cover. But, I will often hit something, like a box, and not be able to move, and by the time that I either move the character around until it goes back, or I turn around to see what is happening, I'm dead. That's extremely frustrating and is the main downside of FPG's
    I can understand frustrations. But saying I don't want a feature simply cause it doesn't affect me especially is rude and ignorant.

  5. #285
    Herald of the Titans Jigain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,718
    How high FOV would be necessary for you to feel comfortable playing a third-person game? Take Skyrim for example, if you play that in third person view rather than first person, how high FOV do you need to not get nauseous?

  6. #286
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    How high FOV would be necessary for you to feel comfortable playing a third-person game? Take Skyrim for example, if you play that in third person view rather than first person, how high FOV do you need to not get nauseous?
    Skyrim I usually use 95 fov through console command.

  7. #287
    Herald of the Titans Jigain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexrex View Post
    Skyrim I usually use 95 fov through console command.
    Even for third person?

    After some testing (checked 5 times), I can conclude the FOV in GW2 with the camera as close to the character as possible is 70.
    Edit: That's at a resolution of 1680x1050, aspect ratio of 16:10.
    Last edited by Jigain; 2012-08-21 at 08:11 PM.

  8. #288
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Hey Nex, could you possibly link a couple screenshots - one to show the game without the prob and one to show it with? That might help some of us understand what the issue is.
    Heres a few to illustrate how fov is allready part of the game. In every image neither camera nor character has moved. All images are taken at zoom level maxed out.

    Fullscreen:http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...llscreen1.jpg/

    Windowed mode with window taking up half the screen: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/windowed1.jpg/

    Windowed mode with making the lenght of the window from top to bottom small on the extreme side: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/windowed2.jpg/

    This is the game itself adjusting the fov in windowed mode. And the lack of doing it on Fullscreen mode.
    Hope that illustrates the differences.
    And like i said al images taken with max zoomed out camera and no movement of the character or camera at all.
    Pardon the low resolution, I took these on the laptop.
    Last edited by Nexrex; 2012-08-21 at 10:38 PM.

  9. #289
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,047
    Yup, I'm on the stress test event right now and here's how INSANELY flexible the FoV already is in the game - if you stretch the window.

    Note the tables/surroundings for a point of reference, camera zoom was fixed and maxed, only the window size was changed (click on thumbnails for full size).

    Standard: 1920x1080 (1080p)




    Stretched: 1904x839




    More stretched: 1904x547




    Super Stretched: 1904x357




    Note how the quality begins to really degrade at super stretched aspect ratio, stuff becomes unreadable.

    Conclusion: A lot of PvP'ers will choose to play with a stretched screen to stay sane while playing. I sure as hell will, not just to greatly lessen the motion sickness but to be able to see my surroundings a lot better. 1904x800 would be roughly the sweet spot to aim for.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-08-21 at 11:54 PM.

  10. #290
    Apparently we can't ask about it on the official forums during this latest stress test: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru.../Field-of-view

    Disappointing. I wonder if the people at Widescreenfixer can make a plugin for this? Or will it be bannable?

  11. #291
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,047
    Quote Originally Posted by mofo View Post
    Disappointing. I wonder if the people at Widescreenfixer can make a plugin for this? Or will it be bannable?
    I honestly don't know how they'll be able to detect if you're running it :P

  12. #292
    Quote Originally Posted by mofo View Post
    Apparently we can't ask about it on the official forums during this latest stress test: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru.../Field-of-view

    Disappointing. I wonder if the people at Widescreenfixer can make a plugin for this? Or will it be bannable?
    Yes this is disappointing behaviour by at least the official forum moderators. I for one would classify the lack of an fov slider as a serious bug and a technical issue...

  13. #293
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    I honestly don't know how they'll be able to detect if you're running it :P
    Scan for specific injection hack used by widescreen fixer.

    @Xuvial: Good find. Looks like we get to play out of a damn tank viewport to get proper FoV. Awesome...
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2012-08-22 at 12:08 AM.

  14. #294
    After spamming new threads on the official forum for a while this is the reply I get:

    "Thanks for taking the time to give us your thoughts on the subject – we truly do appreciate it. The stress tests forums however, are only active so you can receive help with account issues, request technical support, and provide bug reports for the team.
    Thanks for your understanding and cooperation!
    See you in game!" - community manager Dalmarus

    So how am I gonna interpret that statement guys?

  15. #295
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexrex View Post
    After spamming new threads on the official forum for a while this is the reply I get:

    "Thanks for taking the time to give us your thoughts on the subject – we truly do appreciate it. The stress tests forums however, are only active so you can receive help with account issues, request technical support, and provide bug reports for the team.
    Thanks for your understanding and cooperation!
    See you in game!" - community manager Dalmarus

    So how am I gonna interpret that statement guys?
    Corporate customer management to english translation: "We don't care, we already have your money. Go bother someone else".

    Realistically they just can't afford to start inserting features not on their immediate roadmap at this point. Release is too close. All we can do is hope that they either have FoV slider in the works already, or that they will start listening to requests after release.

    At this point, you're likely SOL though.

  16. #296
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Yup, I'm on the stress test event right now and here's how INSANELY flexible the FoV already is in the game - if you stretch the window.

    Note the tables/surroundings for a point of reference, camera zoom was fixed and maxed, only the window size was changed (click on thumbnails for full size).

    Standard: 1920x1080 (1080p)




    Stretched: 1904x839




    More stretched: 1904x547




    Super Stretched: 1904x357




    Note how the quality begins to really degrade at super stretched aspect ratio, stuff becomes unreadable.

    Conclusion: A lot of PvP'ers will choose to play with a stretched screen to stay sane while playing. I sure as hell will, not just to greatly lessen the motion sickness but to be able to see my surroundings a lot better. 1904x800 would be roughly the sweet spot to aim for.
    Edit: I apologize if I use the term "zoom" incorrectly, as a novice to the difference in these terminologies I may have erred in using the terms interchangeably.

    Thanks for this info!

    What an unfortunate predicament this creates. I, too, would like the advantage of a far zoom... but I can't say visual appeal of my screen has no bearing on my choices.

    I may have to settle on a mid-way option (like your middle screenshots) to have a slightly wider viewing area but not so distorted that I can't see anything as it was intended to be seen. I hope they offer a zoom alternative in the future, or at least come up with something that doesn't force us to choose between a wider zoom or visual integrity.
    Last edited by Shlamorel; 2012-08-22 at 12:43 AM.

  17. #297
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,047
    Yeah the super-stretched examples were really just to show that it has no upper limit (or lower limit).

    @Nexrex stop stalking me on gw2 forums :P (I kid, I kid)

  18. #298
    Yeah :/ Great Respose from Arenanet

    "This forum is not for discussion or suggestions. The stress test forums are only active to provide bug reports, get tech support and help with account issues."

    Such a careing company, reeeealy looks after the health intrests of it's customers >_>

    I know when I switched from fullscreen to windowed mode, the onscreen image size changed from 16:9 to 4:3 yet the amount of visual info onscreen was the same. It's almost as if the FoV is linked to a basic aspect ratio of 4:3 (which is stretced for 16:9) for a single monitor full screen set up :/

    Hence the nausia/migrane/eyepain I currently have >_>

    Thing is I hate playing mmo's in window mode, the gaps around the edge where you can see the background throws me off and I can't concentrate on what I'm doing :s
    Last edited by Ryukai; 2012-08-22 at 01:24 AM.

  19. #299
    Mechagnome Fernling306's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    547
    Great find, I will probably be playing stretched out for awhile. I'm hoping they will add FoV options along with some camera tuning before launch. Not likely, but still want it.

  20. #300
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryukai View Post
    Thing is I hate playing mmo's in window mode, the gaps around the edge where you can see the background throws me off and I can't concentrate on what I'm doing :s
    Use a black background, or change your desktop to something really dark.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-08-22 at 01:35 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •