Thread: Field of view

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ...
6
14
15
16
17
LastLast
  1. #301
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    I agree that FoV should be settable. Whatever is natural is going to depend on how far you are from your screen and how much it fills your IRL field of vision.

    However, I watched most of the third video in the OP, and switched it off at the point where TotalWhateverHe'sCallingHimselfTheseDays decided that it was a conspiracy against PC gamers. It's really fucking not. I've never touched that setting before, even if it was present.

    Not getting your own way is not the same thing as a conspiracy against you.

    Also, if you suffer from motion sickness, you've picked an odd platform in the PC, considering that pretty much the only thing you can buy that isn't WoW, Civilization or The Sims is first person shooters(with FoV sliders)...
    sorry, couldn't resist

  2. #302
    Mechagnome Hjalmtyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    U.K. England
    Posts
    714
    People STILL treating it like it's a preference setting. Sad, really.

    'Wah wah wah I don't suffer from it so I don't give a shit about you'

    Show a little empathy please. Many third person games have dynamic FoV and no FoV problems. There's no excuse for GW2. It isn't a GW2-specific problem, it isn't due to warping (since there are tonnes of other third person games that manage FoV changes well). How can it even be due to warping? The only difference between third person and first person is that in first person your camera is inside your head, and in third person the camera follows the character.

    'It causes warping' is bullshit, if it doesn't cause warping in FPS then it doesn't cause warping in third person either. FPS Camera = Third Person Camera, just different positions.
    "Do you know what it's like to fall on the floor, cry your guts out til you got no more? Hey man, now you're really livin'" - Mark Everett

    Crucilus Bloodbane - Level 80 Charr Necromancer - Zebra lord of the bank alts
    Esaari - Level 80 Asura Elementalist

  3. #303
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,042
    I've been changing/forcing the FoV to 90-100 in every shooter I've played since Half Life 2, the config option was there or programs like FoVHack did the trick. That is, IF the FoV was silly.
    For example in Crysis 1 (and Warhead) the FoV was already set to a decent value due to it being made ground-up for PC.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    It causes warping' is bullshit, if it doesn't cause warping in FPS then it doesn't cause warping in third person either. FPS Camera = Third Person Camera, just different positions.
    Technically it will seem a bit warped to someone watching you play (fishbowl effect) but to your own eyes+brain it will make perfect sense since you're so close to the monitor ^_^

    E.g. this is 90 (or even 100) FoV, I backed into a right-angle corner and I could pretty much everything from the left wall to the right wall:



    The horizontal and vertical planes look really distorted for someone just looking at the screenshot (or monitor), it's like "super perspectve" drawing where everything is a bit exaggerated.

    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-08-22 at 03:25 AM.

  4. #304
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Corporate customer management to english translation: "We don't care, we already have your money. Go bother someone else".
    Or maybe it's because the game is launching in two days and they're more interested in using their time fixing problems than adding features.

    But hey, feel free to paint them as villains as usual.

  5. #305
    Yeah.. I don't see how "We're currently working on bugs, not adding features" is satanic.

  6. #306
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Or maybe it's because the game is launching in two days and they're more interested in using their time fixing problems than adding features.

    But hey, feel free to paint them as villains as usual.
    I see reading more then one sentence at a time is really hard for some. Perhaps you should try it anyway before pressing "reply" next time though? Would make you look a hole lot less silly.
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2012-08-22 at 03:52 AM.

  7. #307
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    I see reading more then one sentence at a time is really hard for some. Perhaps you should try it anyway before pressing "reply" next time though? Would make you look a hole lot less silly.
    Apparently you did not read the 10 posts after you agreeing and calling Anet out on being terrible people. Your first line was overly hostile, I doubt they read more than the first line either before agreeing with you.

  8. #308
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Yeah.. I don't see how "We're currently working on bugs, not adding features" is satanic.
    Newsflash: I don't think of the game as religion and never have and made it VERY clear that I do not. I think I also got at least one or two infractions for calling people like you out for practising religious zealotry in their treatment of the game and those who disagree. In that light it's funny to see this Freudian slip of yours vindicating me, yet again.
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2012-08-22 at 04:06 AM.

  9. #309
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Newsflash: I don't think of the game as religion and never have and made it VERY clear that I do not. I think I also got at least one or two infractions for calling people like you out for practising religious zealotry in their treatment of the game and those who disagree. In that light it's funny to see this Freudian slip of yours vindicating me, yet again.
    Newsflash: by satanic I was inferring that you were making that reply out to be significantly worse than it was, not that you 'worshiped the game'. Nice excuse to call me out and decide that I worship the ground underneath GW2, though.
    I don't currently follow any religion, I'm sure as hell not going to start with a video game.
    Last edited by Delias; 2012-08-22 at 04:10 AM.

  10. #310
    Nothing quite as hilarious as someone trying hard to cover their freudian slip and cheerleading willful ignorance in two consecutive posts all while trying to appear objective.

  11. #311
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Nothing quite as hilarious as someone trying hard to cover their freudian slip and cheerleading willful ignorance in two consecutive posts all while trying to appear objective.
    There was no Freudian slip, I would make the same comment a second time. I did not mean it in a religious way, you're being quite silly for arguing otherwise. Just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they blindly worship whatever it is you are against, saying otherwise is just a roundabout way of calling them a fanboy to avoid an infraction.
    (Although, turning it into a religious thing doesn't seem like the best way to avoid one. Whatever, Lucky: king of negativity while avoiding infractions)
    Last edited by Delias; 2012-08-22 at 04:21 AM.

  12. #312
    Stop it with this nonsense.

  13. #313

    Unhappy

    Delias and lucky, don't make this into a flame war. Either one of you be mature enough to stay on topic please.

    Now, I don't want to paint anyone as villains but getting that brushed away answer on the official forums seems a little rude to me. However it could simply mean that they are in fact aware of it, and working on it.
    Odd thing is that that official looking reply disappeared with no trace quite fast..
    Guess all I can do is cross my fingers and hope they fix it.
    Last edited by Nexrex; 2012-08-22 at 07:10 AM.

  14. #314
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexrex View Post
    Delias and lucky, don't make this into a flame war. Either one of you be mature enough to stay on top of please.
    Posting directly after a mod-reply is bad for your case, and I'd recommend you refrain from such in the future.


    As for the actual thread that was on the forums, what was really said, because I missed it (not being home for the majority of the stress test)? I was under the impression that the response hinted at here was that bug reports were taking up the primary amount of time/effort during the stress test and stuff like this would be better left until launch (or shortly after)? Did I actually miss something?
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-08-22 at 07:12 AM.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

  15. #315
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Posting directly after a mod-reply is bad for your case, and I'd recommend you refrain from such in the future.


    As for the actual thread that was on the forums, what was really said, because I missed it (not being home for the majority of the stress test)? I was under the impression that the response hinted at here was that bug reports were taking up the primary amount of time/effort during the stress test and stuff like this would be better left until launch (or shortly after)? Did I actually miss something?
    That would be one way to understand it. I would appreciate it if ArenaNet could be a little direct in communicating about this issue.

  16. #316
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,042
    I'm actually fine with it now I've found a solution. Relieved actually.

    1) Sit a nice distance back
    2) Play with a stretched window
    3) Set desktop background to black/dark theme

    Problem solved until ANet decide to finally address it!

    Atleast it's not a game-breaker anymore and I can PLAY the game I've been wanting to play from nearly 2 fucking years :P
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-08-22 at 07:34 AM.

  17. #317
    Herald of the Titans Jigain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,718
    Again, people need to calm down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nexrex View Post
    "Thanks for taking the time to give us your thoughts on the subject – we truly do appreciate it. The stress tests forums however, are only active so you can receive help with account issues, request technical support, and provide bug reports for the team.
    Thanks for your understanding and cooperation!
    See you in game!" - community manager Dalmarus
    This pretty much means what it says - the stress test forums are only used to solve immediate technical issues and bugs. There's no need to try to find a hidden, deeper meaning of it. It's black on white. Try conveying your message through a means that isn't dedicated to something else, and I'm sure you'll have more success.

  18. #318
    I understand ppl complain on FoV, as they want to see more on the screen then others etc. But how would the game look if you would be able to slide fov? :s In my head it would be stretched out :S
    As the pic in beginning of thread with 1 moniter vs 3 moniter, So ppl really want the wide of 3 moniters into 1 just to see more? :s I Dont thin that would give you any advantage etc..
    And if you feeling sick of playing to much, TAKE A BREAK!

  19. #319
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer1989 View Post
    I understand ppl complain on FoV, as they want to see more on the screen then others etc. But how would the game look if you would be able to slide fov? :s In my head it would be stretched out :S
    I think like 10 different examples of "what it would look like" have already been shown in this thread.

    As the pic in beginning of thread with 1 moniter vs 3 moniter, So ppl really want the wide of 3 moniters into 1 just to see more? :s I Dont thin that would give you any advantage etc..
    We didn't ask for the FoV of 3 monitors into 1 because that would be stupid. 3 monitors was just to prove the point that FoV adjustment was already a working feature in the game, in response to all those people saying "but they would need to spend a lot of time adding this to the game". We want a decent PC FoV of atleast 90 degrees (like WoW), or an FoV slider which allows adjustment between 60 and 90 degrees.

    And if you feeling sick of playing to much, TAKE A BREAK!
    People aren't getting sick of playing too much. People are getting sick from simulation sickness. Know the difference. It can affect people as early as 15-30 minutes into games, it's asinine to ask people to take breaks that frequently because you're not going to make friends wait for you, and once you're immersed you're not going to get up and simply put up with the headaches/nausea until it becomes too much.

    Till ANet gets their shit sorted, I have suggested the solutions that have worked for me (and should work for others) for now. Assuming people are playing on 21"-23" monitors, the stretched window idea should do fine and you can move closer to the monitor to see animations/etc. It's basically the equivalent of fooling the game into thinking you're running multiple monitors (by stretching the aspect ratio) and the game compensates by adding FoV.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-08-22 at 08:15 AM.

  20. #320
    The windowed mode workaround is currently the only way I can actually play, which is kind of infuriating. But as mentioned, with no official response or comment on this issue there isn't much else to do that avoid full screen. Kinda sucks cause it's a beautiful game and I would love to have the very simple option of enjoying it in full screen on a 27"...
    Last edited by Nexrex; 2012-08-22 at 01:41 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •