Thread: Field of view

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Not sure how much more I can type on this subject without grossly repeating myself. It's a pc game running in full screen at what appears to be consol-ish fov settings. I pray that it's just an overnight and not an intentional gimmick cause it ruins people's enjoyment of the game. Maybe not most people, but enough people.
    And fov feature is already in place. Just let us set it so we can all enjoy the game equally.

Hey guys, some of ya'll are making some really valid points here. That's awesome.

However, some posts are just skirting the line by being a little too condescending & combative. If ya'll want to keep discussing this topic, I encourage everyone to mind their tone or the thread will be shut down and infractions given.

This is a warning.

--Fencers

Deleted
    Also, just because you aren't affected by FoV sickness, it doesn't mean it's an overreaction.

You don't go into a burns ward and say 'Stop being a bunch of pussies.'

Quote Originally Posted by Nexrex View Post
    Not sure how much more I can type on this subject without grossly repeating myself. It's a pc game running in full screen at what appears to be consol-ish fov settings. I pray that it's just an overnight and not an intentional gimmick cause it ruins people's enjoyment of the game. Maybe not most people, but enough people.
    And fov feature is already in place. Just let us set it so we can all enjoy the game equally.
    I'm reminded of supersampling issue here. They added subsampling into the game. People raised hell asking why subsampling yet no super sampling, when it's essentially the same thing.

Voila, next BWE we had supersampling in the game.

---------- Post added 2012-08-14 at 03:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    Also, just because you aren't affected by FoV sickness, it doesn't mean it's an overreaction.

You don't go into a burns ward and say 'Stop being a bunch of pussies.'
    If you're a practising surviving religious self-immolator, I imagine you do...

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Hey guys, some of ya'll are making some really valid points here. That's awesome.

However, some posts are just skirting the line by being a little too condescending & combative. If ya'll want to keep discussing this topic, I encourage everyone to mind their tone or the thread will be shut down and infractions given.

This is a warning.

--Fencers
    Roger that. If I have happened to offend anyone I apologize. I just want people to understand that this is a real issue that could so very easily be fixed. It's ridiculous to have an argument over it and I would much prefer this thread informs and clarifies rather than antagonise anyone.

I implore all who are unsure of what fov is to please go to the first post here and check out the videos and the links. That should educate very well what the issue is and why it's a need to set the FoV setting in options.
    Thank you all who have kept this discussion on track and understand and support the issue at hand.
    Last edited by Nexrex; 2012-08-14 at 03:41 PM.

What was uncomfortable for me was some kind of acceleration when rotating the camera. And shouldn't FOV improve by making the camera be able to zoom further out, like the cameradistancemaxfactor in wow. Do you guys have any info on those 2 thingies and if there's any word from the developer whether they'll implement the option to adjust those 2 things? cheers

Deleted
    Pesho, as has been mentioned a million and three times in this thread, camera zoom is not the same as field of view.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesho View Post
    And shouldn't FOV improve by making the camera be able to zoom further out, like the cameradistancemaxfactor in wow.
    Just to help clear up some confusion (as there has been quite a lot so far)...

What you are describing is not really zoom. It is called "dollying", or simply "moving the camera". Ok, it can be considered a very crude form of zoom, but it is not really. And the terms zoom and dolly are frequently mis-used - so don't worry.

Proper zoom is achieved in photography by some shifting of the lenses, or some magic that I don't really understand or need to understand thankfully. In realtime 3D graphics - which I do need to understand - zooming in/out can be achieved by narrowing/widening the field-of-view used to construct the projection-matrix (no, nothing to do with Transformers!!).

Here's a nice picture for you:

You can see that with the camera a constant distance from the cube, by narrowing the field-of-view the rendered image on the right is more "zoomed in".

So, in a nutshell, the cameradistancemaxfactor thing in WoW is not zooming or changing the FoV - it is simply moving the camera further back, or "dollying". (Which there have been posts in this thread showing this with diagrams and everything).

Thanks for your input Alvarez.
    As outlined in the videos and links in the first post, which most people seem to not watch/click, it's pretty much explained with visual aid even, what fov is, what it does and how it affects us when it is wrong.

Do Anet said anything about FOV and camera? I don't have access to the official forums and I can't find anything on Reddit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    You guys should treat the source of the problem! Isn't there some medical procedure that could keep you from blowing chunks at a monitor because the pixels are in the wrong place?
    Unless you found a way to evolve into something other than a human, then ofc not.
    Ps:forum troll don't count as a race.
    Last edited by Nexrex; 2012-08-14 at 06:28 PM.

Deleted
    Im just just curious.. but there are medicine for people that get sick when in a car or on the buss or train.. would that help? Like.. a little? Or maybe that's not even the same thing?

Or that, too. I didn't even think of medications for the issue.
    I'd rather not medicate myself over something that's already a part of the game and just needs a simple slider in options thanks.

You guys should treat the source of the problem! Isn't there some medical procedure that could keep you from blowing chunks at a monitor because the pixels are in the wrong place?
    Because blowing time and money on a treatment that most likely would never stick is much better than simply getting a dev to add a command to the engine. Also note, the low FoV is the source of the problem; people having different physiological predispositions and reactions to external stimuli is not a problem.

If they simply added a command like "/console fov [50-120]" to the engine and told people "hey, just type 'console fov 90' in the chat to solve your headache problem", a large portion of their player-base would be so much happier playing their game without feeling like their brain wants to exit through their eye-sockets.

The first 2 BWE's I've had to stop every couple of hours or so because I couldn't see straight for the blinding headache; final BWE I've enjoyed every waking second of it because I got to play my Asura, and that (along with the screen displacement slider thingy) pretty much side-stepped the infuriating view problem. However, not everyone will play Asura (more's the pity) , and I grieve for the people that are forced to play under the current conditions with a Charr or Norn...

Deleted
    I'd rather not medicate myself over something that's already a part of the game and just needs a simple slider in options thanks.
    ofc not but I was just curious of it would help at all. At least until Anet figure something out, which Im sure they will if its that big a problem as people say.
    Was thinking it could maybe help to some extent :P

Please play nice guys. Things are starting to go downhill and I don't like closing threads.

Someone mentioned they couldn't find anything about this on Reddit so here's a link Google gave me:http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...please/c4ybh70

Hmmm cant really contribute but I wasn't aware of this, the videos on OP were educational at least. Never suffered from these symptoms, curious as to why it affects some people and not others.

Someone mentioned they couldn't find anything about this on Reddit so here's a link Google gave me:http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...please/c4ybh70
    Uhm, I'm not really used to Reddit, so I don't really know how to navigate it (the screen always looks like a complete mess to me when I open a Reddit link ), but I couldn't find any info on ANet's stance in there... or is there?

If they want to bind me to this game/franchise for the long term, polish like this has to be there (FoV slider, option for camera smoothing/delay, etc.). I hope they will patch this in soon, because most of the game looks good to me otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do admit, I'd like a larger FoV. Maybe I'm mixing up different terms, but one of the things I always did in WoW, on every character, was type in the special console command to increase the maximum camera distance beyond what the default slider allowed.

Made things so much better, since I could see more.

Until then, I'll need to spend my very first Toyota paychecks on getting two more monitors. I've always wanted a multiple-monitor setup anyways.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.