Thread: Field of view

Page 1 of 17
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Field of view

    Any new info on if this will be an added option in settings?
    Myself and others I'm sure would really appreciate this addition since it would help levitate the motion sickness that the ones with the game atm.
    Yes not all people have issues like that but for those who do, a simple FoV slider would be an amazing addition.

    So if anyone has any new info on this subject feel free to share.



    Edit: feel the need to include some links to shed some much needed light on the facts of what FoV is, WHat FoV is NOT (i.e. Zoom), why it hurts when its wrong, and why a simple fix like a FoV slider would be an amazing addition to Guild wars 2.





    Watching these will help you contribute to the discussion much more informed (I hope^^)

    Edit:
    Came across some extremely well put posts over on guildwars2guru by user Makovorn, so linking them in the thread to illustrate things a little better:
    On FoV:http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...0#entry1625530
    On Camera angle:http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...0#entry1648928
    Those post should illustrate the issues very well, so all thanks to Makovorn for this insight

    Also for those of you who may be concerned with balance issues as some have brought up elsewhere, heres a video of an official 3 screen setup showing Arenanet themselves allow for an increased FoV while on a multi monitor setup, so why on earth should there not be an option to tweak it for single monitor setups?

    Thanks for reading and watching
    Last edited by Nexrex; 2012-08-14 at 12:38 PM. Reason: adding videos

  2. #2
    Bloodsail Admiral Kharli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pandaria/Balmora/Divinity's reach
    Posts
    1,194
    o.O Field-of-view? o.O whatcha this for crazy talk..thats for FPS! not MMO-RPGS .

    OT: uh..*eyes world of warcraft and other mmos* don't think..any mmos had much of field-of-view..tbh..

  3. #3
    Theres the <<Enable chamera shake >> button that <<disables chamera shake , which can cause dizziness or motion sickness>> .
    http://i.imgur.com/XL8cS.jpg
    Plus they increased the zoom out ability by 30-40% in the previous stress test .
    I would make a ticket in today (12 august) stress test , if i where u
    GW2 : Plzbegentle - Ruins of Surmia EU - Sylvari Engineer
    WoW: Vergin - Deathwing EU - Elf Resto Druid (27/05/05 - 02/04/12 Perma-Banned- Unhappy whinning PvP customer - whos begged from 4.1 to get rid of the RNG of Regrowth ... )
    It seems ppl have the energy to whine for a game , for not beeing exactly like their <<main>> game , while it dont have a SUB , and they dont have the courage to whine at their Game Master for slacking and producing few PvE content ...

  4. #4
    Field of view should be and option to fix to your liking in all games regardless of type of game in my humble opinion.
    Doesn't matter if it's a shooter or an rpg, motion sickness is motion sickness regardless.

    Also I've made tickets ever single beta weekend and stress test, just can't seem to find anything regarding it from Anet anywhere..
    Always had camera shake off so that ain't the problem, I wish it was that simple.

  5. #5
    Mechagnome Hjalmtyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    U.K. England
    Posts
    714
    They have increased camera zoom-out but field of view is rarely a concern in a third person game, especially an MMO like GW2.

    The only times I can think of FoV being a concern in third person games are when it comes to like Gears of War and Warhammer 40k: Space Marine. I don't think FoV is something they're concerned about, many people did request the ability to zoom out more so they added that.
    "Do you know what it's like to fall on the floor, cry your guts out til you got no more? Hey man, now you're really livin'" - Mark Everett

    Crucilus Bloodbane - Level 80 Charr Necromancer - Zebra lord of the bank alts
    Esaari - Level 80 Asura Elementalist

  6. #6
    The Patient Halym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Woodstock, NB, Canada
    Posts
    337
    You won't be getting an FoV slider, bud.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexrex View Post
    Field of view should be and option to fix to your liking in all games regardless of type of game in my humble opinion.
    Doesn't matter if it's a shooter or an rpg, motion sickness is motion sickness regardless.

    Also I've made tickets ever single beta weekend and stress test, just can't seem to find anything regarding it from Anet anywhere..
    Always had camera shake off so that ain't the problem, I wish it was that simple.
    Don't think FoV is what is giving you motion sickness. Perhaps it's the 'smoother' camera turning that GW2 has instead of the 'sharper' turning of world of warcraft. No MMOs that I can think of have FoV sliders due to them not being necessary in third person games with the ability to zoom out, and if you only get motion sickness in GW2 and not other MMOs then a FoV slider is likely not what you're looking for in the first place.

  8. #8
    I just wish you could zoom out the camera farther. It's still just a tad too close in my opinion. I know I'd get used to it, but it would still be nice.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Don't think FoV is what is giving you motion sickness. Perhaps it's the 'smoother' camera turning that GW2 has instead of the 'sharper' turning of world of warcraft. No MMOs that I can think of have FoV sliders due to them not being necessary in third person games with the ability to zoom out, and if you only get motion sickness in GW2 and not other MMOs then a FoV slider is likely not what you're looking for in the first place.
    Well it does seem a bit odd to me as well. I just assume it's the FoV that's causing it cause playing it across 3 screens doesn't give me the issues I get.

  10. #10
    The Lightbringer Malthurius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Black Citadel
    Posts
    3,638
    The game gave me headaches as well for a while, but now it doesn't. It's hard to describe, I think it's just a matter of getting used to it. I was asking for an FoV slider on the official forums during the BWEs, but now I don't think that was the issue in the first place.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

  11. #11
    I'm not entirely sure myself what it is, but it's strange cause like I said in my buddies 3 screen setup I don't have any issues at all. But on my own 27" I can maybe stand constantly play for about an hour or two, and we run the exact same settings apart from the obvious of his field of view being bigger due to the increased screen size.
    That's why I assume it's a FoV issue. Cause the character movement didn't bother me at all coming from wow and the mouse smoothing I don't think I notice much tbh.
    If anyone have had similar experiences and has overcome it, did you change any settings to make the issue less or go away completely?

  12. #12
    As I pointed out in a previous thread about motion sickness (that appears to have been deleted for whatever reason as I can't find it :s )

    It's the closeness of the camera to the character that is the main cause of motion sickness in this game. It prevents you from seeing 'infront' of you, due to the character effectivly blocking the view, AND by the closness of the camera at maximun zoom out, as this prevents you from seeing the 'perifery' vision. This means objects swing in and out of view very fast.

    This fools your brain into thinking your hallucinationg and your brain enters into 'vomit' mode to try and get rid of the non-existing toxin it thinks you have taken. :/

    In wow I'm fine, as the max camera zoom is just enough to allow me to play without the nausea.

    In GW2 The camera is just way, WAY too close if you want to play anything other than an Asura. As the characters just take up way too much of the screen (It also seems to be why melee seem to get trounced for all the larger races, cameras so close and the characters are so big that they block the visuals of a mob about to do bad things and end up getting killed.)

    Rolling an Asura is a 'temporary' fix, as they take up a much smaller area on screen and that provides a larger FoV, but it shouldn't be seen as a permanent solution, I was really looking forward to making a charr on the max size setting ( > imagine haveing that charging towards you > ) But unless it's changed it looks as if I'm forcably stuck with the tiny little Asura... yeah such a terrifying sight.......

    Last edited by Ryukai; 2012-08-12 at 12:51 PM.

  13. #13
    Herald of the Titans Platinus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    2,994
    I require more zoomoutness! And yes, that's a word.

    Oh, and I don't like the smooth camera. Especially at low FPS.
    Last edited by Platinus; 2012-08-12 at 01:29 PM.

    [email protected] | GeForce GTX 760 | 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB SSD | 1+2TB HDD | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 | Corsair CX V2 500W | NZXT Phantom | 2x 24" 1920x1080 | Qpad MK-80 MX Blue | Logitech G600

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexrex View Post
    Any new info on if this will be an added option in settings?
    Myself and others I'm sure would really appreciate this addition since it would help levitate the motion sickness that the ones with the game atm.
    Yes not all people have issues like that but for those who do, a simple FoV slider would be an amazing addition.

    So if anyone has any new info on this subject feel free to share.
    I, like you, suffer from motion sickness in some games. The first two BWE's were a battle of wills between my brain and my stomach.

    However, two things seem to have helped me quite a bit. One, they moved the zoom out distance so I can pull back further from my character.

    And, someone on a thread here (or official beta forum) suggested I turn Vertical Sync on or off. I don't remember which it was and of course can't check it right now. Have you tried that? I seem to have very little nausea now unless I am in close quarters like a dungeon... or apple orchard.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexrex View Post
    I'm not entirely sure myself what it is, but it's strange cause like I said in my buddies 3 screen setup I don't have any issues at all. But on my own 27" I can maybe stand constantly play for about an hour or two, and we run the exact same settings apart from the obvious of his field of view being bigger due to the increased screen size.
    That's why I assume it's a FoV issue. Cause the character movement didn't bother me at all coming from wow and the mouse smoothing I don't think I notice much tbh.
    If anyone have had similar experiences and has overcome it, did you change any settings to make the issue less or go away completely?
    He doesn't have a higher field of view than you do. Everyone has the same field of view (aside from 4:3 aspect ratio users). His resolution is just larger, with the same view across 3 screens.

    Anyway, many (online) games don't enable FoV changes due to the unfair advantage it gives to people maxing it out. Especially in FPS games, it lets people see things (and enemies) that other people wouldn't be able to see unless they were using the same FoV.

    Further, increasing FoV -DRAMTICALLY- reduces performance. The more you increase it, the larger amount of stuff from the current scene is shown on screen.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

  16. #16
    I agree about the FoV, I would have liked a higher FoV. That being said, it might be there intentionally to limit a player's awareness and make looking around a conscious action. This is something you can see in RTS and FPS games where the field of view is an integral element to the game mechanics, and ANet might be trying to go for a similar experience.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBeard View Post
    it might be there intentionally to limit a player's awareness and make looking around a conscious action.
    That's what it is, and that's why the zoomout distance isn't very far. Increased FoV would go against what they want to do. I think we're lucky that the zoomout distance was even increased.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    That's what it is, and that's why the zoomout distance isn't very far. Increased FoV would go against what they want to do. I think we're lucky that the zoomout distance was even increased.
    No it isn't.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ack0y19Pd-g

    This video shows perfectly that there is horizontal FoV changes in the game based on monitor setup. Pay attention to the pipe from 3:14 to 3:20 and you see it distorts (that's what a higher FoV does). So it's already in the game, meaning all the people screaming balance and game design now have nothing to stand on, unless they start advocating for ANet to stop supporting multi monitor setups, since clearly this person has "an advantage over others" (and a much larger advantage than just one monitor with an adjusted FoV would provide). Not to mention that it also shows that different resolutions show more or less of the game world (depending on if the resolution is higher or lower). So should ANet just force everyone into a certain resolution in the interest of balance? Hell no, people would be up in arms if they did this. ANet just needs to let us change our horizontal FoV so that those of us that are effected by it can play without suffering.

    From around 10:35 til the end of the vid you can see the tiles on the floor are very distorted on the right side, probably the most obvious example of this setup having a higher FoV than a single monitor setup has.

    And if you think the increased FoV with multimonitor setups isn't intentional then watch this one.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N_q4-sC3v4

    It's an official ANet setup and since you actually get to see all three screens separately it shows the higher FoV much better than the other vid did (on an official ANet setup).

    You can also directly change your FoV by going into windowed mode and make the vertical space smaller. The game automatically gets its FoV based on your game screens aspect ratio. That's why a 3 monitor setup (~16:3 aspect ratio) has a higher FoV than a single monitor setup (~16:9 aspect ratio)

    Edit: I know the first rant seems weird for this therad, that's because I just copy/pasted it from a different thread that can be found here:

    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...eling-nauseos/
    Last edited by strafefaster; 2012-08-12 at 04:54 PM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by strafefaster View Post
    No it isn't.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ack0y19Pd-g

    This video shows perfectly that there is horizontal FoV changes in the game based on monitor setup. Pay attention to the pipe from 3:14 to 3:20 and you see it distorts (that's what a higher FoV does). So it's already in the game, meaning all the people screaming balance and game design now have nothing to stand on, unless they start advocating for ANet to stop supporting multi monitor setups, since clearly this person has "an advantage over others" (and a much larger advantage than just one monitor with an adjusted FoV would provide). Not to mention that it also shows that different resolutions show more or less of the game world (depending on if the resolution is higher or lower). So should ANet just force everyone into a certain resolution in the interest of balance? Hell no, people would be up in arms if they did this. ANet just needs to let us change our horizontal FoV so that those of us that are effected by it can play without suffering.

    From around 10:35 til the end of the vid you can see the tiles on the floor are very distorted on the right side, probably the most obvious example of this setup having a higher FoV than a single monitor setup has.

    And if you think the increased FoV with multimonitor setups isn't intentional then watch this one.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N_q4-sC3v4

    It's an official ANet setup and since you actually get to see all three screens separately it shows the higher FoV much better than the other vid did (on an official ANet setup).

    You can also directly change your FoV by going into windowed mode and make the vertical space smaller. The game automatically gets its FoV based on your game screens aspect ratio. That's why a 3 monitor setup (~16:3 aspect ratio) has a higher FoV than a single monitor setup (~16:9 aspect ratio)

    Edit: I know the first rant seems weird for this therad, that's because I just copy/pasted it from a different thread that can be found here:

    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...eling-nauseos/
    Thank you for your clearing that up. So indeed it is an FOV issue. I know I saw a video somewhere where someone had 3 screens while frapsing and then jumped between using 1 and 3 displays and I could clearly see a difference in FoV, just couldn't find the video to have it go with this thread.

    So bottom line is that an FOV slider isn't something that should be outright dismissed cause of a misguided sense of balancing, but rather a convenience greatly appreciated by those of us who suffer from the lack of one.

    Now the question becomes how to best lobby for it to be implemented...
    Last edited by Nexrex; 2012-08-12 at 11:27 PM.

  20. #20
    This is for all of those who say increasing the Field of View is a pvp advantage, may I draw your attention to these 2 screen shots,

    The First is what someone with just a single widescreen monitor sees

    http://img.wsgf.org/f/u/imagecache/n...ame_16x9_0.jpg

    This 2nd is the exact same place and is what someone with the 3 screen (eyefinity) set up sees

    http://img.wsgf.org/f/u/imagecache/n...game_3x1_0.jpg

    Now please tell me how someone with a single screen and needs to scroll out the camera more in order to stop feeling nausious has an advantage in pvp over someone with an eyefinity set up

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •