Thread: Field of view

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    i dunno, maybe they need to teak it but i dont mind it atm

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryukai View Post
    This is for all of those who say increasing the Field of View is a pvp advantage, may I draw your attention to these 2 screen shots,

The First is what someone with just a single widescreen monitor sees

http://img.wsgf.org/f/u/imagecache/n...ame_16x9_0.jpg

This 2nd is the exact same place and is what someone with the 3 screen (eyefinity) set up sees

http://img.wsgf.org/f/u/imagecache/n...game_3x1_0.jpg

Now please tell me how someone with a single screen and needs to scroll out the camera more in order to stop feeling nausious has an advantage in pvp over someone with an eyefinity set up
    Oh lookie, the 'Zoom out gives a pvp advantage' crowd appears to have mysteriously vanished.....

I wonder why that is.... ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukai View Post
    This is for all of those who say increasing the Field of View is a pvp advantage, may I draw your attention to these 2 screen shots,

The First is what someone with just a single widescreen monitor sees

http://img.wsgf.org/f/u/imagecache/n...ame_16x9_0.jpg

This 2nd is the exact same place and is what someone with the 3 screen (eyefinity) set up sees

http://img.wsgf.org/f/u/imagecache/n...game_3x1_0.jpg

Now please tell me how someone with a single screen and needs to scroll out the camera more in order to stop feeling nausious has an advantage in pvp over someone with an eyefinity set up
    That's illuminating!

Thank you for that. Pretty much negates the most common responses to our requests/pleas for more control over our camera views.

Deleted
    I don't get why not all comapnies just add a friggen FoV slider.

Yes, it's less of an issue in a 3rd person view then in a 1st person view, but it is still very much an issue for allot of people, and it's rediciously easy to fix.
    Why not just let use set the FoV we prefer?

I thought I was alone in experiencing troubles playing this game...headache and motion sickness. Haven't had this from a game since Super Mario on Nintendo 64. At first I thought just was "that time of the month", but I experienced it somewhat from all BWE's and especially when playing Norn...

This is worrying...

Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    I don't get why not all comapnies just add a friggen FoV slider.

Yes, it's less of an issue in a 3rd person view then in a 1st person view, but it is still very much an issue for allot of people, and it's rediciously easy to fix.
    Why not just let use set the FoV we prefer?
    Indeed it should not be a big issue to have a slider in games for this. The reluctance to add one reminds me of the controversy around the FoV in darkness 2 I believe it was where a rep went out and said it would ruin the game to change the FoV, and after fans proved them wrong with third party software the developers eventually patched in a FoV option...

10+ Year Old Account
    Now I want a triple-monitor setup

Deleted
    Zoom out, theirs your FOV slider.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I thought I was alone in experiencing troubles playing this game...headache and motion sickness. Haven't had this from a game since Super Mario on Nintendo 64. At first I thought just was "that time of the month", but I experienced it somewhat from all BWE's and especially when playing Norn...

This is worrying...
    You are not alone in this for sure. Many friends of mine suffer from this in some degree.
    It should be an option in games by default imo.

---------- Post added 2012-08-13 at 03:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LummyBear View Post
    Zoom out, theirs your FOV slider.
    Zoom is not, never was, and never will be the same as fov. Please enlighten yourself so we can keep this discussion on track.

---------- Post added 2012-08-13 at 03:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Now I want a triple-monitor setup
    One can dream... ^_^
    Have tested it at my friends house and it is simply amazing how beautiful the game is
    Also more importantly to me, it shows that the game self adjusts itself with a different fov when moving across more than one monitor.
    This effect can also be achieved if going to windowed mode and and streching the window.
    So why cant we have an FoV slider we can change manually when its allready a part of the game automatic side?

---------- Post added 2012-08-13 at 08:01 PM ----------

Felt I should quote someone from over at GW2Guru who actually gets this :

The arguments presented in this thread to support against the request made by OP and MANY others... (listed below)
    a) FOV will make the game unbalanced
    b ) it will take gazillion amount of money and manpower
    c) we don't care
    d) buy new monitors, graphics cards
    e) use a smaller monitor
    f) sit close
    g) sit far back

are stupid.

Such capabilities are already present in the game, and all it needs is a minor change that allows "player base" to control their FoV. Be this for medical reasons, or for comfort. These are changes that will improve the quality of expereince enjoyed by the gamers.
    Last edited by Nexrex; 2012-08-13 at 05:58 PM.

what more worrying is that all this issues have been raised since BWE1, and most of the Anet/gw2 crusaders kept saying it would get fixed later, now that the game is literally 2 weeks away from launch, there are still loads of people with problems with small FoV, Camera smoothing, Camera zoom, basically all of this Technics that are designed for CONSOLES and sofa players

Its clearly, at least to me, that this is not gonna change because they have already planned to add this to console market a few months down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post

This is worrying...
    I started having this issue in the last betas. I don't know how to explain it, but let's take WoW for example, when you wanted to kite, the technic was to jump 180, shoot while in the air and do another 180 in the opposite direction and continue running. That's a lot of camera movement, but it felt somewhat smooth.

I tried to do the same thing in GW2, but it made me sick. Now the only way I can kite properly is strafing and back pedaling. I tried to speed up the camera but it made things worse. I also have a low fps so that does't help.

Something feels strange about the camera in this game. It's sad, because everything is so amazing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by strafefaster View Post
    No it isn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ack0y19Pd-g

This video shows perfectly that there is horizontal FoV changes in the game based on monitor setup. Pay attention to the pipe from 3:14 to 3:20 and you see it distorts (that's what a higher FoV does). So it's already in the game, meaning all the people screaming balance and game design now have nothing to stand on, unless they start advocating for ANet to stop supporting multi monitor setups, since clearly this person has "an advantage over others" (and a much larger advantage than just one monitor with an adjusted FoV would provide). Not to mention that it also shows that different resolutions show more or less of the game world (depending on if the resolution is higher or lower). So should ANet just force everyone into a certain resolution in the interest of balance? Hell no, people would be up in arms if they did this. ANet just needs to let us change our horizontal FoV so that those of us that are effected by it can play without suffering.

From around 10:35 til the end of the vid you can see the tiles on the floor are very distorted on the right side, probably the most obvious example of this setup having a higher FoV than a single monitor setup has.

And if you think the increased FoV with multimonitor setups isn't intentional then watch this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N_q4-sC3v4

It's an official ANet setup and since you actually get to see all three screens separately it shows the higher FoV much better than the other vid did (on an official ANet setup).

You can also directly change your FoV by going into windowed mode and make the vertical space smaller. The game automatically gets its FoV based on your game screens aspect ratio. That's why a 3 monitor setup (~16:3 aspect ratio) has a higher FoV than a single monitor setup (~16:9 aspect ratio)

Edit: I know the first rant seems weird for this therad, that's because I just copy/pasted it from a different thread that can be found here:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...eling-nauseos/
    However... if the intent was making "looking around a conscious action", a multi-monitor setup doesn't really make a difference. You'd still have to look around, probably even turn your head providing your monitors are large enough, to fully perceive everything that's going on on-screen. The difference is turning your head IRL or your camera in-game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    People get sick from playing games? That's a thing?

Huh, never knew.
    It's almost like when you're sitting in a car when you're too drunk. The brain never seem to catch up with the speed and you end up puking everywhere on the dash board.
    Ok, not as bad, but it's wierd.

Deleted
    Hm I haven't experienced this issue at all but If this many people actually do have problem I sure Anet will work something out, just keep trying to get the developers attention in forums,emails or tweets or something. They can't ignore you if there's enough people craving it. I mean they can't tell you to just go get new monitors and stuff so they have to come up with something. It will be interesting to see how it will end.

Deleted
    Also, before smooth camera gets forgotten

Is there any way to turn that thing off? Makes it feel like I'm running 20 fps lower than I actually am.

If they would just allow you to zoom out to 2X what it is now I think it might fix the terrible camera issues and make PvP fun

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    Also, before smooth camera gets forgotten

Is there any way to turn that thing off? Makes it feel like I'm running 20 fps lower than I actually am.
    Same thing for me. And no, the only option you have is to increase the speed and for me, it made things worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Miah View Post
    If they would just allow you to zoom out to 2X what it is now I think it might fix the terrible camera issues and make PvP fun
    I don't need my camera pulled further back. I need my field of view increased so my brain don't make me sick. I need my peripheral vision to be present so I can have my eyes see with normal eyes and not make my brain think I'm sick and making me even more sick :O
    Zoom=/=fov. If you feel zooming out helps its just a symptom that you are suffering from a FoV issues. Refer to the updated first post for some very informative videos.

Deleted
    I think people are confusing zoom and FoV because they assume you mean the FoV of your character.

Imagine the camera is a cameraman. You are the cameraman. If you zoom out the camera, the cameraman is moving back. Zooming in moves him forward. Now imagine if you will, as you are the cameraman, that you are playing a first person game. Does moving back in a first person game increase your field of view? No. Your peripherals remain the same.

Zooming out does not increase FoV because your peripherals remain the same but the distance from the character increases. Distance from character is not FoV. Field of View is how far your peripherals stretch to the sides. Increasing it often involves stretching the screen vertically to allow more peripheral vision.

He doesn't want zoom out, he wants to be able to see more to his sides. Zooming out lets you see more to your sides but, relatively, the amount he can see is still the same. It's a bit of a mindfuck, but you have to realise that.

Edit: Added an image to help people because this took me a while to understand myself.

Last edited by mmoc64a56cce3c; 2012-08-13 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    I think people are confusing zoom and FoV because they assume you mean the FoV of your character.

Imagine the camera is a cameraman. You are the cameraman. If you zoom out the camera, the cameraman is moving back. Zooming in moves him forward. Now imagine if you will, as you are the cameraman, that you are playing a first person game. Does moving back in a first person game increase your field of view? No. Your peripherals remain the same.

Zooming out does not increase FoV because your peripherals remain the same but the distance from the character increases. Distance from character is not FoV. Field of View is how far your peripherals stretch to the sides. Increasing it often involves stretching the screen vertically to allow more peripheral vision.

He doesn't want zoom out, he wants to be able to see more to his sides. Zooming out lets you see more to your sides but, relatively, the amount he can see is still the same. It's a bit of a mindfuck, but you have to realise that.

Edit: Added an image to help people because this took me a while to understand myself.

LOL, anyway his fix is easy. In my Home theater I have a 12' wide 2.35:1 constant height screen, If I sit at 10' distance from the screen I have to turn head left and right during movies like sitting close at an IMAX theater. You're saying he needs to see on the sides of his head ( lol) well there ya go! Buy a Projector and a 2.35:1 screen and you can be in gaming bliss and watch widescreen movies without black bars!..........Its the goofy GW2 camera that's goofing him up