Thread: Field of view

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    How high FOV would be necessary for you to feel comfortable playing a third-person game? Take Skyrim for example, if you play that in third person view rather than first person, how high FOV do you need to not get nauseous?
    Skyrim I usually use 95 fov through console command.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexrex View Post
    Skyrim I usually use 95 fov through console command.
    Even for third person?

After some testing (checked 5 times), I can conclude the FOV in GW2 with the camera as close to the character as possible is 70.
    Edit: That's at a resolution of 1680x1050, aspect ratio of 16:10.
    Last edited by mmoc10ec13b383; 2012-08-21 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Hey Nex, could you possibly link a couple screenshots - one to show the game without the prob and one to show it with? That might help some of us understand what the issue is.
    Heres a few to illustrate how fov is allready part of the game. In every image neither camera nor character has moved. All images are taken at zoom level maxed out.

Fullscreen:http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...llscreen1.jpg/

Windowed mode with window taking up half the screen: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/windowed1.jpg/

Windowed mode with making the lenght of the window from top to bottom small on the extreme side: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/windowed2.jpg/

This is the game itself adjusting the fov in windowed mode. And the lack of doing it on Fullscreen mode.
    Hope that illustrates the differences.
    And like i said al images taken with max zoomed out camera and no movement of the character or camera at all.
    Pardon the low resolution, I took these on the laptop.
    Last edited by Nexrex; 2012-08-21 at 10:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, I'm on the stress test event right now and here's how INSANELY flexible the FoV already is in the game - if you stretch the window.

Note the tables/surroundings for a point of reference, camera zoom was fixed and maxed, only the window size was changed (click on thumbnails for full size).

Standard: 1920x1080 (1080p)

Stretched: 1904x839

More stretched: 1904x547

Super Stretched: 1904x357

Note how the quality begins to really degrade at super stretched aspect ratio, stuff becomes unreadable.

Conclusion: A lot of PvP'ers will choose to play with a stretched screen to stay sane while playing. I sure as hell will, not just to greatly lessen the motion sickness but to be able to see my surroundings a lot better. 1904x800 would be roughly the sweet spot to aim for.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-08-21 at 11:54 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Apparently we can't ask about it on the official forums during this latest stress test: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru.../Field-of-view

Disappointing. I wonder if the people at Widescreenfixer can make a plugin for this? Or will it be bannable?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mofo View Post
    Disappointing. I wonder if the people at Widescreenfixer can make a plugin for this? Or will it be bannable?
    I honestly don't know how they'll be able to detect if you're running it :P

Quote Originally Posted by mofo View Post
    Apparently we can't ask about it on the official forums during this latest stress test: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru.../Field-of-view

Yes this is disappointing behaviour by at least the official forum moderators. I for one would classify the lack of an fov slider as a serious bug and a technical issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    I honestly don't know how they'll be able to detect if you're running it :P
    Scan for specific injection hack used by widescreen fixer.

@Xuvial: Good find. Looks like we get to play out of a damn tank viewport to get proper FoV. Awesome...
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2012-08-22 at 12:08 AM.

After spamming new threads on the official forum for a while this is the reply I get:

"Thanks for taking the time to give us your thoughts on the subject – we truly do appreciate it. The stress tests forums however, are only active so you can receive help with account issues, request technical support, and provide bug reports for the team.
    Thanks for your understanding and cooperation!
    See you in game!" - community manager Dalmarus

So how am I gonna interpret that statement guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Nexrex View Post
    After spamming new threads on the official forum for a while this is the reply I get:

"Thanks for taking the time to give us your thoughts on the subject – we truly do appreciate it. The stress tests forums however, are only active so you can receive help with account issues, request technical support, and provide bug reports for the team.
    Thanks for your understanding and cooperation!
    See you in game!" - community manager Dalmarus

So how am I gonna interpret that statement guys?
    Corporate customer management to english translation: "We don't care, we already have your money. Go bother someone else".

Realistically they just can't afford to start inserting features not on their immediate roadmap at this point. Release is too close. All we can do is hope that they either have FoV slider in the works already, or that they will start listening to requests after release.

At this point, you're likely SOL though.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Yup, I'm on the stress test event right now and here's how INSANELY flexible the FoV already is in the game - if you stretch the window.

Note the tables/surroundings for a point of reference, camera zoom was fixed and maxed, only the window size was changed (click on thumbnails for full size).

Standard: 1920x1080 (1080p)

Stretched: 1904x839

More stretched: 1904x547

Super Stretched: 1904x357

Note how the quality begins to really degrade at super stretched aspect ratio, stuff becomes unreadable.

Conclusion: A lot of PvP'ers will choose to play with a stretched screen to stay sane while playing. I sure as hell will, not just to greatly lessen the motion sickness but to be able to see my surroundings a lot better. 1904x800 would be roughly the sweet spot to aim for.
    Edit: I apologize if I use the term "zoom" incorrectly, as a novice to the difference in these terminologies I may have erred in using the terms interchangeably.

Thanks for this info!

What an unfortunate predicament this creates. I, too, would like the advantage of a far zoom... but I can't say visual appeal of my screen has no bearing on my choices.

I may have to settle on a mid-way option (like your middle screenshots) to have a slightly wider viewing area but not so distorted that I can't see anything as it was intended to be seen. I hope they offer a zoom alternative in the future, or at least come up with something that doesn't force us to choose between a wider zoom or visual integrity.
    Last edited by Shlamorel; 2012-08-22 at 12:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the super-stretched examples were really just to show that it has no upper limit (or lower limit).

@Nexrex stop stalking me on gw2 forums :P (I kid, I kid)

Deleted
    Yeah :/ Great Respose from Arenanet

"This forum is not for discussion or suggestions. The stress test forums are only active to provide bug reports, get tech support and help with account issues."

Such a careing company, reeeealy looks after the health intrests of it's customers >_>

I know when I switched from fullscreen to windowed mode, the onscreen image size changed from 16:9 to 4:3 yet the amount of visual info onscreen was the same. It's almost as if the FoV is linked to a basic aspect ratio of 4:3 (which is stretced for 16:9) for a single monitor full screen set up :/

Hence the nausia/migrane/eyepain I currently have >_>

Thing is I hate playing mmo's in window mode, the gaps around the edge where you can see the background throws me off and I can't concentrate on what I'm doing :s
    Last edited by mmocf5558b9282; 2012-08-22 at 01:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great find, I will probably be playing stretched out for awhile. I'm hoping they will add FoV options along with some camera tuning before launch. Not likely, but still want it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryukai View Post
    Thing is I hate playing mmo's in window mode, the gaps around the edge where you can see the background throws me off and I can't concentrate on what I'm doing :s
    Use a black background, or change your desktop to something really dark.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-08-22 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    I agree that FoV should be settable. Whatever is natural is going to depend on how far you are from your screen and how much it fills your IRL field of vision.

However, I watched most of the third video in the OP, and switched it off at the point where TotalWhateverHe'sCallingHimselfTheseDays decided that it was a conspiracy against PC gamers. It's really fucking not. I've never touched that setting before, even if it was present.

Not getting your own way is not the same thing as a conspiracy against you.

Also, if you suffer from motion sickness, you've picked an odd platform in the PC, considering that pretty much the only thing you can buy that isn't WoW, Civilization or The Sims is first person shooters(with FoV sliders)...
    sorry, couldn't resist

Deleted
    People STILL treating it like it's a preference setting. Sad, really.

'Wah wah wah I don't suffer from it so I don't give a shit about you'

Show a little empathy please. Many third person games have dynamic FoV and no FoV problems. There's no excuse for GW2. It isn't a GW2-specific problem, it isn't due to warping (since there are tonnes of other third person games that manage FoV changes well). How can it even be due to warping? The only difference between third person and first person is that in first person your camera is inside your head, and in third person the camera follows the character.

'It causes warping' is bullshit, if it doesn't cause warping in FPS then it doesn't cause warping in third person either. FPS Camera = Third Person Camera, just different positions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been changing/forcing the FoV to 90-100 in every shooter I've played since Half Life 2, the config option was there or programs like FoVHack did the trick. That is, IF the FoV was silly.
    For example in Crysis 1 (and Warhead) the FoV was already set to a decent value due to it being made ground-up for PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    It causes warping' is bullshit, if it doesn't cause warping in FPS then it doesn't cause warping in third person either. FPS Camera = Third Person Camera, just different positions.
    Technically it will seem a bit warped to someone watching you play (fishbowl effect) but to your own eyes+brain it will make perfect sense since you're so close to the monitor ^_^

E.g. this is 90 (or even 100) FoV, I backed into a right-angle corner and I could pretty much everything from the left wall to the right wall:

The horizontal and vertical planes look really distorted for someone just looking at the screenshot (or monitor), it's like "super perspectve" drawing where everything is a bit exaggerated.

Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-08-22 at 03:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Corporate customer management to english translation: "We don't care, we already have your money. Go bother someone else".
    Or maybe it's because the game is launching in two days and they're more interested in using their time fixing problems than adding features.

But hey, feel free to paint them as villains as usual.

Yeah.. I don't see how "We're currently working on bugs, not adding features" is satanic.