Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Should I have high hopes?

    I have been following this game for a little while, maybe around a year or so? I originally tried to play the first guild wars, and never could get into it. I believe maybe the instanced area's and not an open world is what turned me off, and I was hooked onto WoW for a little while....

    I haven't played WoW for sometime now, I got tired of the raid design for that game, I couldn't dedicate the amount of time to get geared to even try to raid, I felt I was a good player but never really got the chance to play because of the requirements of raids and gear.

    Now that I have explained that my main point of this thread is should I have high expectations for this game? Everything I have read about the game and the new concepts arenanet is implementing seems very cool.

    Honestly I haven't been this excited about a game since Diablo 3 and that ended up being a letdown IMHO. But I also am kind of worried about being let down by guild wars 2. I haven't played any betas just watched a couple of videos here and there, and done some research.

    I have pre-purchased the game already but I am kind of wondering if I should not get myself to stoked for this game? Maybe those of you who have played in some of the betas have some good insight on the game, and maybe if you were a bit skeptical about it.

    Also, keep in my my MMO experience comes from EQ1 and WoW, so that's all I really know. Thanks for reading my post.

  2. #2
    I think the big hype for many of us that are not into the competitive PvP scene is the entire mentality of the game. Unlike being pitted against another faction, it is a game built around supporting each other. This is a game that encouraging helping others and working together and that is monumental for a major MMO that is still competitive.

    The PvE is one that includes your closest friends for a dungeon... and EVERYONE when it comes to a huge guy! The game doesn't exclude anybody and that makes it very fun.

  3. #3
    The main idea is be excited about the game, but -never- have high hopes for something because something small might make you feel like it's not good enough, also, try not to be sucked into the hype.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snuckerpooks View Post
    PvP [...] is the entire mentality of the game.
    No it's not~ :3
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic


  4. #4
    Hype is a dangerous thing, I have honestly found that I enjoy games more when i dont watch all the hype media

  5. #5
    I would not get excited about any game ever again, even if the best game devs teamed up to make the "best" game ever. Don't get hyped up about games, because most of the time you'll just be disappointed.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuckerpooks View Post
    I think the big hype for many of us that are not into the competitive PvP scene is the entire mentality of the game. Unlike being pitted against another faction, it is a game built around supporting each other. This is a game that encouraging helping others and working together and that is monumental for a major MMO that is still competitive.

    The PvE is one that includes your closest friends for a dungeon... and EVERYONE when it comes to a huge guy! The game doesn't exclude anybody and that makes it very fun.
    Yes the PvE concept for this game strikes me as such a great idea, I mean there is no worrying about not being the same level as my brother or whoever I play with. We don't have to worry about dungeon grinding and the competitiveness that it brought in WoW.

    I very much look forward to this game and all of the ideas I am reading about, but again, am setting myself up for disappointment with such high expectations?

  7. #7
    The bulk of my hype came from actually playing the game, so I feel it is mostly legit. It is a very good game, and worth getting excited over, just don't get unrealistic expectations.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I would not get excited about any game ever again, even if the best game devs teamed up to make the "best" game ever. Don't get hyped up about games, because most of the time you'll just be disappointed.
    The thing is, hype is based off of an item that supposedly is being hyped by a developer. So it's hard to not get "sucked" into the hype when you do a great deal amount of research of the game, and ontop of that it convinced me so much to pre-purchase my digital copy without even testing the game out.

    I remember being really excited about Age of Conan when I hear about it. I never did any deep research of the game, and had high expectations for it, but it ended up being a disaster.

  9. #9
    Ill come clean with you.

    Gw1 = I got that in 2009 found to be awesome but just never really played it. No really sure why, but it wasn't a very "welcoming" game I would say, so that would be my guess.

    D3 = I had big high hopes for this even as I tried the beta, but the rest of the game as I discovered in launch really didn't value 1 year of sub for WoW.

    Gw2 = When I first heard about it I got very excited with the design promises and etc, I got VERY hyped but as time went by and a lot of games launched (mmos and single players advertising "alive world" "We wanted to make a fun game" etc kinda of promises) I just got really "realistic" and thought "Gw2 will be just another one, that I will probably buy (as I try most of big mmo and single players), but will quit after a few weeks.". So I bought as a pre-purchase to try out the beta and that's when it blew me. I had really low expectations and I encountered a fun "play how you want" kind of game with multiple fun designs that interested me, and beyond that a game with strong characteristics (even if some call "just different presentation").

    Now it's not to say I have -some- worries for the game. I do specially with the "How much Anet is going to keep things fresh, new content out and etc, specially with no subs". But, for the price you are paying for this game, with no subs and the degree of details (and that is alot of details) and thoughts put into a game, I think its damn worth it.

    Hope to have helped a bit for you.

  10. #10
    Warchief Cherrysoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,023
    Well for me personally GW2 is about having fun, they put the FUN back into gaming, WoW became a career, like you say if you couldn't put in the time, you fell behind etc yadda yadda, GW2 appeals to me because it is the complete opposite of that, and no way to fall behind and with a crap load to do.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    Ill come clean with you.

    Gw1 = I got that in 2009 found to be awesome but just never really played it. No really sure why, but it wasn't a very "welcoming" game I would say, so that would be my guess.

    D3 = I had big high hopes for this even as I tried the beta, but the rest of the game as I discovered in launch really didn't value 1 year of sub for WoW.

    Gw2 = When I first heard about it I got very excited with the design promises and etc, I got VERY hyped but as time went by and a lot of games launched (mmos and single players advertising "alive world" "We wanted to make a fun game" etc kinda of promises) I just got really "realistic" and thought "Gw2 will be just another one, that I will probably buy (as I try most of big mmo and single players), but will quit after a few weeks.". So I bought as a pre-purchase to try out the beta and that's when it blew me. I had really low expectations and I encountered a fun "play how you want" kind of game with multiple fun designs that interested me, and beyond that a game with strong characteristics (even if some call "just different presentation").

    Now it's not to say I have -some- worries for the game. I do specially with the "How much Anet is going to keep things fresh, new content out and etc, specially with no subs". But, for the price you are paying for this game, with no subs and the degree of details (and that is alot of details) and thoughts put into a game, I think its damn worth it.

    Hope to have helped a bit for you.
    Thanks for the great reply. So playing through the beta could you see the re playability of the game? For instance, when I bought Cata. I leveled a new character from 1 to 85. The experience was somewhat fun, but after I reached that last level and found out that there was really nothing left to do but raid (I hate PvP in WoW, there isn't enough skill involved) so I just ended up quitting. Now I do think I got my money's worth, but there was nothing left to keep me coming back.

    I hope in GW2 after I reach level 80, I can have a sense of "wow I would like to explore this area now and see what is going on and see whats new". Not a feeling of "well I have seen most of the DE's, so it's not really worth the time to play anymore"

    Also, do any of you who have played the beta, can you explain in detail what your initial impressions were? Like, what you thought of the UI, the combat, the movement, the character skills etc...
    Last edited by Tharjax; 2012-08-11 at 06:16 AM.

  12. #12
    If you have not had a chance to play the stress tests, I'd say make an effort to try the next one. I think another stress test will happen before release. I like you have done the research and watched videos and such but doing so really doesn't do the game justice. I think Arenanet surpassed my expectations and that was based on the stress tests that I have done. Sure I had disconnects lag Freezing, etc but once that was cleared the game ran really good and the immersion was phenominal. The Quest system is by far the most impressive that I have ever seen. And I have not even touched on Dungeons, PVP or WvW. I'm not a raider so even if the so 'end game content' is lacking like many MMOS that have been released. The PVP WvW and the fact the Arenanet will add more dynamic events after the game's release - you don't have to pay for- (at least from what I've heard) before an expansion, will keep me busy.

    It's really too bad you have to pre-purchase to try it. If course everyone has their opinions. So far I'm hooked and the 4 hour session today went by so fast.

    I'd like to add about that you mentioned about skill. Most players will think that the skills are lacking because you only get about 10 skills. (although you can change the skills from 6-0 fro different styles) However it depends on what weapon you have equipped as each weapon gives you different skills. There is kill involved. You have to know what your skills can do for you in the battle at hand. How you can get away from the Boon's that the enemy will put on you. You can't just do rotations and say well that's it. You can dodge (There's a bar the replenishes) You constantly have to move and pay attention to what your enemy is doing. There are articles about this and the so called 'lack of skill' out there.

    My impression

    Re-post
    This game is fantastic IMO. never have I been so involved in leveling experience. Most MMos I click on the quest giver, They tell you where to go, do the quest, turn it in, they give you another quest, rinse and repeat then in turn they tell you to another place to get more quests, rince and repeat.

    Not saying that GW2 doesn't have that not in the same matter. The closest you get to those standard quests is your personal story. And quite frankly I was amazed that there are at least 3 different stories per race and they branch out from there depending what you decide to do. I noticed this because I have been sticking to the Norn for the stress test. The other races will have to wait. So I have 3 profession doing different stories. That's fantastic!!! I will digress.

    Initially you will have places to go points of interest where they ask you to help out NPC's by either collecting things, Destroy machinery, Feed bears and find bear traps to dismantle, and other interesting things. Those in a sense are your 'side' quests sort of speak. Best thing about it is that everyone can tribute to it and everyone get's involved without worrying about stealing a mob or talking ore. Everyone can find those. During your travels There are 'events that happen. Minotaur stampedes, Armies attacking shrines, and collectively everyone involves get's in on the action in some cases defend/guard/an NPC to their destination, stop the dredge from stealing back the ore etc.

    Yes you might say that it's similar to the Public quest system WAR implemented as well as RIFTS in RIFT. Most cases you choose to do those in GW2's case you want to because the XP is pretty decent. When I did play 3 characters in the same area I did experience most of these 'events' again but I didn't care. They were so much fun and without a doubt, some of the best immersion I ever experienced in an MMO. There were some instances where I clicked on an NPC that had no icon on him and that triggered something. That's incredible!


    And that's just in the opening so called newbie levels from 1-10. Didn't participate quite yet in any form of PVP.
    Also I don't think that many players experienced content above 30. Or there wasn't much about that. I've read that these events are much more immersive with many different causes and effects. that in itself is interesting.


    The game is beautiful and runs pretty well on this PC.
    Last edited by DarthTenore; 2012-08-11 at 06:30 AM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharjax View Post
    Thanks for the great reply. So playing through the beta could you see the re playability of the game? For instance, when I bought Cata. I leveled a new character from 1 to 85. The experience was somewhat fun, but after I reached that last level and found out that there was really nothing left to do but raid (I hate PvP in WoW, there isn't enough skill involved) so I just ended up quitting. Now I do think I got my money's worth, but there was nothing left to keep me coming back.

    I hope in GW2 after I reach level 80, I can have a sense of "wow I would like to explore this area now and see what is going on and see whats new". Not a feeling of "well I have seen most of the DE's, so it's not really worth the time to play anymore"
    I'll answer this question like this. I own 10 characters in wow. 7 chars are 85, 2 are 82 and 1 is 75. I often am impressed of how many characters I have (I do love to have one of each class tho in any game). I've enjoyed the first 2 during Wrath, and maybe...maybe one during Cata, and the sole reason for that is because leveling was never really relevant, it was really something you needed to do to get to the good stuff. So as for the rest of my characters I just pretty much sat in a city and pvped/dungeons. Wow has a lot of good points, replayability, for me, is not one of them. (Yeah, I had too much time in my hands XD).

    Now as for gw2 the replayability is very big, because you level the way you want, mixing and matching. In my case I do little bit of everything. Every class is very unique, every personal story different and more. I only reached maybe level 23 on beta (Big pvper here) but the big point here is: I never felt like I needed to rush the pace of leveling to have fun or to get to the good parts. But still there is a big responsibility of delivery for Anet, making the 80 level content challenging enough and busy enough so I have playability (besides coming back for lower level areas with the side kick system) which I believe they can and will deliver. And more importantly the "cycle" and new DE's being presented in lower areas so whenever you level up another toon, you feel a little different than the last time.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    I'll answer this question like this. I own 10 characters in wow. 7 chars are 85, 2 are 82 and 1 is 75. I often am impressed of how many characters I have (I do love to have one of each class tho in any game). I've enjoyed the first 2 during Wrath, and maybe...maybe one during Cata, and the sole reason for that is because leveling was never really relevant, it was really something you needed to do to get to the good stuff. So as for the rest of my characters I just pretty much sat in a city and pvped/dungeons. Wow has a lot of good points, replayability, for me, is not one of them. (Yeah, I had too much time in my hands XD).

    Now as for gw2 the replayability is very big, because you level the way you want, mixing and matching. In my case I do little bit of everything. Every class is very unique, every personal story different and more. I only reached maybe level 23 on beta (Big pvper here) but the big point here is: I never felt like I needed to rush the pace of leveling to have fun or to get to the good parts. But still there is a big responsibility of delivery for Anet, making the 80 level content challenging enough and busy enough so I have playability (besides coming back for lower level areas with the side kick system) which I believe they can and will deliver. And more importantly the "cycle" and new DE's being presented in lower areas so whenever you level up another toon, you feel a little different than the last time.
    Yea that makes complete sense! Leveling up in WoW always felt rushed, because all of the good stuff was apparently waiting for you at the end, so leveling was just a prerequisite for that.

    IMO I really enjoy leveling different types of characters, and if leveling in GW2 is as cool as people are making it out to be, then I can already see a HUGE amount of re playability in my eyes.

  15. #15
    Dreadlord Ecstatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hoelbrak
    Posts
    842
    You should have high hopes.
    The game is great. It needs some more adjustments in a couple values, and a few features missing, but what needs fixing will be done since it's still in BETA, and whats missing will be implemented after launch.
    Currently playing: |Diablo 3| |Far Cry 3| |Crysis 3| |Starcraft 2| |League of Legends|

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecstatic View Post
    You should have high hopes.
    The game is great. It needs some more adjustments in a couple values, and a few features missing, but what needs fixing will be done since it's still in BETA, and whats missing will be implemented after launch.
    What kind of adjustments and features are you talking about, it would be great to know!

  17. #17
    The Lightbringer Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lion's Arch
    Posts
    3,367
    I've had more fun in the last couple months playing the beta weekends and stress tests than I've had in any other MMO in a long long time.

    Besides all the dungeons and dynamic events and personal story stuff, there's just so much to do! And there's people everywhere and we're all playing together because the game design actually promotes people playing together. It's genius.

    But watch some videos and judge for yourself. The "hype" you'll hear is from players that have actually played the game, they are excited because it's just plain fun.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mVIzI8RLuY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWguoKzccF4
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...d_whats_yours/

    There's a whole thread of videos in the stickies. Check them out
    If you want justice, you've come to the wrong place.
    ~Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones

  18. #18
    One thing for the people replying that would be nice, is to explain why is it fun? Was the combat intuative? Did the game seem pretty populated and a lot of hustle and bustle? I like detailed answers, because it gives me a good amount of info to chew on other than, "the game is just fun"! Tell me what made it fun for you! But I do appreciate all the replies!

  19. #19
    Well I did mentioned what I thought was fun. For me it's the quest system. It's like nothing I've ever experienced before.

    Combat is responsive, simple, different yet familiar. I can't quite explain. one thing though I had to get used to camera movement. As using the keyboard to do so wont help. I looked around and the best option for me was using right mouse to turn the camera. Now I can keep my enemies in front of me.

    Game has so much immersion. Each of the professions plays so differently and even the amount of options you have based on what weapon you choose will allow your class to play so differently. (not sure that made sense Gosh it's late) Anyway I'm not sure how this can change your decisions. My expactation was to see if Arenanet can take their concept of Dynamic events and implement that into this game. So far IMO they surpassed my expectations. Do I want more? Certainly.

  20. #20
    The Lightbringer Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lion's Arch
    Posts
    3,367
    I did this elite DE in the swamp area just outside the Sylvari starting zone at around level 14 or 15. There was around 25 of us there and it was OMG EPIC! Screen shaking, people getting blown up into the air, knocked back, feared out, puddles of poison everywhere, people dying and THEN! I see thrust into the ground this sword, looked like a simple stick or staff, but it said Flaming Greatsword.

    Hello what's this, I thinks and grab it.

    I light up and start swinging around this huge sword of fire with the most amazing animations for each ability - I wish I could have frapsed it. I have never felt like such a hero in my life

    Turns out that it is an elementalist skill to drop that weapon for anyone to pick up and use. Cooperative play. I put down a flamewall, a hunter shoots his arrows through the wall, his arrows catch fire and cause more damage.

    As a caster, I can MOVE. I'm not glued to the ground waiting on a freakin cast bar. Run and cast freely. No trinity, everyone has dodge and heal abilities.

    You like PvP? How about a battle - 3 realms going against each other for a 2 week long battle complete with castles and trebuchets and pots of boiling oil over the walls and golems. Up to 2000 people - oh yeah, it's epic.

    You like platform games? You'll love the jump puzzles - many often hid away behind waterfalls or in caves, or way up in the air on floating rocks some with bosses and chests full of loot. The game is full of secrets and puzzles - complete a dynamic event chain to open a secret mini-dungeon or find an underwater pipe organ made of coral that you can play - and if you play the tune correctly, you get a chest!

    There's just too too much to write about, it really is different
    If you want justice, you've come to the wrong place.
    ~Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •