Ultimately you then rely on the power of influence, you hope that your players realise that a multi million euro fine & a substantial ban from European competition would then encourage players to report this to their clubs out of duty to protect their clubs - I mean much as I know footballers are mercenaries these days I'd like to think if someone approached any player on Man United's squad they'd be straight on the blower to Fergie. Ultimately you can't cage the players up but you need to have them understand that this is unacceptable - immediate lifetime bans for all players (google Pete Rose to see that in action) convicted of match fixing, no compromise, they will never receive a license from FIFA to play or coach as a professional again.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Deleted
    Jumping into this thread as I just found it!

With regards to the betting scandal that is blowing through the game, I think there could be a great deal of pressure on these players, perhaps threats even against family if they spoke out. Not saying they are right for doing it, and if caught and proven, they should be banned for life, but I think there must be external factors at work as well as just trying to make a quick bit of cash on the side.

Just my thoughts on it all really.

Quote Originally Posted by Larath View Post
    we are playing Argentina today, gonna be fun I guess :P

just for reference, during the 2002 world cup, we played arguebly our best game of the 2000-2009 era against argentina and knocked them out in the group stages, fairly sure you were in that group aswell weren't you :P
    Just let them score 3-4 goals on us and then catch up with them in the last 20! ;P

I think the Netherlands game in Portugal is my favorite btw, one of the more intense ones at least, we should have won that on OT but went out on Pens.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    we are playing Argentina today, gonna be fun I guess :P

just for reference, during the 2002 world cup, we played arguebly our best game of the 2000-2009 era against argentina and knocked them out in the group stages, fairly sure you were in that group aswell weren't you :P
    2002 World Cup, Owen was "tripped" and Beckham put away the penalty.

That 1-0 win came after the 1-1 draw with Sweden and before a 0-0 draw with.. Nigeria was it? I've stories from all three of those games that will stay with me for years.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Anyone else think Nacho Monreal could be a distant cousin to peter crouch? o.O
    Haha I thought the same

No comments on the friendlies so far?

Spain beat Uruguay 3-1 in an entertaining game.
    England and Brazil 0-0 in first half so far, Ronaldinho missed a penalty
    Argentina up 3-1 over Sweden in the first half

Edit: Rooney scores for England, 1-0

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    No comments on the friendlies so far?

Spain beat Uruguay 3-1 in an entertaining game.
    England and Brazil 0-0 in first half so far, Ronaldinho missed a penalty
    Argentina up 3-1 over Sweden in the first half

Edit: Rooney scores for England, 1-0
    Thanks for the results.

Portugal - Ecuador starts in 20 minutes. I am gonna see that one since i am from Portugal.

No one really cares much about friendlies, I mean Scotland v Estonia is such a shit match they're playing it in Sheep Shagger land! In the middle of a season such pointless ventures really are a waste of time, money & effort, especially when vast numbers of players are in the process of preparing for Champions League ties - I rarely agree with the whinging ginger fuck that is Neil Lennon, but I concur with him on that front!

Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    No one really cares much about friendlies, I mean Scotland v Estonia is such a shit match they're playing it in Sheep Shagger land! In the middle of a season such pointless ventures really are a waste of time, money & effort, especially when vast numbers of players are in the process of preparing for Champions League ties - I rarely agree with the whinging ginger fuck that is Neil Lennon, but I concur with him on that front!
    It's not pointless and a waste of time and money, teams are playing the WC 2014 qualification matches in February and March and they need to have friendlies before those games because national team players stay lots of time without playing together.
    Last edited by Sughs; 2013-02-06 at 08:33 PM.

rofl, what did I just watch?

Brazil almost scoring twice in two minutes from very very poor defending by Smalling (what a shocker!) and Cahill.
    Last edited by Lillpapps; 2013-02-06 at 08:46 PM.

I'm pretty surprised by the lack of comments over England beating Brazil! Ofc friendlies seem to be our thing, we beat everyone in friendlies.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    I'm pretty surprised by the lack of comments over England beating Brazil! Ofc friendlies seem to be our thing, we beat everyone in friendlies.
    like sweden! :>
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier, TF2
    "You were good son, real good; maybe even the best."

like sweden! :>
    I see you (we!) had a close game against the Argies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Friendlies are never really a fair representation. They're just games to run up your FIFA Ranking on.

Watch us climb up to second behind Spain now...

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    argentina is inoffical world champions now since they won over sweden who had won the title from north korea.

this dates back to the first world cup someone had calculated it all from the first winners and when they lost a game the new nation became champions, north korea before us got it from Japan and I don't know anymore :P but argentina is the champs now!

argentina is inoffical world champions now since they won over sweden who had won the title from north korea.

this dates back to the first world cup someone had calculated it all from the first winners and when they lost a game the new nation became champions, north korea before us got it from Japan and I don't know anymore :P but argentina is the champs now!
    Good thing it isn't done like the boxing trophies are then

Scotland own the HELL out of that apparently

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Good thing it isn't done like the boxing trophies are then
    I'm glad no sport is done like boxing, the amount of political BS in the titles is ridiculous.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    I'm glad no sport is done like boxing, the amount of political BS in the titles is ridiculous.
    I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    At times it seems like they stole the titles from the Monty Python "Life of Brian" movie.