10+ Year Old Account
    So Stam might of broken his leg shame for Wigan.

Well that sucks.

With Wigan's defense, I don't really see any way of them defeating Man City for the FA Cup. But stranger things have happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, Fergie considering retirement. It would be sad to see him go, but I think United should plan for the future with someone who's a bit more loyal.
    Ohio State Buckeye

Last I heard Fergie was officially not harbouring any thoughts of going anywhere as United confirmed he was having surgery in the break - I could be wrong but given his stature combined with the club's trading status I think any such a move involving Fergie leaving would need to be announced to shareholders prior to it happening as it would have a major impact on the club & it's value.

As for those kits, yep, they're pretty howling to be fair and those are just the ones off the top of my head, might just be a sign I'm getting old, but I like plain, clean kits & would dearly love us to follow most US sports leagues where the kits tend to remain unchanged for years, I mean the Yankees have retained roughly the same jersey since the 60's with only minor modifications. (mostly mourning patches/bands) It's ripping the arse right out of things when you see a club release 3 kits every year, I understand UEFA rules and stuff, but case in point was Rangers releasing three this year and we were playing 3rd division football, no need for it. We're also releasing entire new ranges next season as we switch suppliers (to Puma) and sponsors after 1 season in the current home kit.

In other mostly hated Scottish football news, looks like league reconstruction is finally happening, sticking with 12-10-10-10 BUT with increased playoffs & revenue sharing between the top two tiers (doesn't matter, it'll still be mediocre shite). And the Scottish Cup Final will feature the two fuckwits with the drumsticks at goalside just like they have in UEFA competitions, now they've been there for some time now but frankly I struggle to see the point in them, all they do is stand there like an idiot holding a police baton!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much every news organisation is reporting a major announcement on fergies future on Sunday. Dunno if it's retirement but my money is it is.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Pretty much every news organisation is reporting a major announcement on fergies future on Sunday. Dunno if it's retirement but my money is it is.
    I hope it isn't But he has to retire at some point, it's inevitable...

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/22445673

Manchester United are expected to make a statement to the New York Stock Exchange before it opens at 1430 BST.
    Supposedly they're making an announcement today on the New york stock exchange, I cant think of any other reason, especially as the club are not denying the rumours. I think Moyes is not a big enough character personally, think it really needs Mourinho! Oh wait isnt Benitez free soon :P

6 hours to wait

Makes me hope Dortmund win the European cup so whatsisface can say job done and come over. Klupp or whatever.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-05-08 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norganon View Post
    So, Fergie considering retirement. It would be sad to see him go, but I think United should plan for the future with someone who's a bit more loyal.
    I kinda wish they acquire Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to manage the team. He was very loyal as a player and he has won 2 league titles with Molde in 2 years as manager. I dont want some ego boosted manager who stays at the same club for max 3 years (Mourinho).

15+ Year Old Account
    Inevitable, but can't say I'm not sad :/

fuck me sideways, that's genuinely as shocking a retirement as Pope Benedict, we've all seen the rumours for years but I genuinely didn't think it was going to happen, could be interesting from here on out to see who's going to take the hit of taking the job next because I guarantee you that's going to be the most difficult tasks in world football.

Bet the FA are celebrating though, no more Fergie to deal with!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    fuck me sideways, that's genuinely as shocking a retirement as Pope Benedict, we've all seen the rumours for years but I genuinely didn't think it was going to happen, could be interesting from here on out to see who's going to take the hit of taking the job next because I guarantee you that's going to be the most difficult tasks in world football.

Bet the FA are celebrating though, no more Fergie to deal with!
    I think for that reason it has to be jose, no one else has the balls to step in and not be intimidated by the shadow of ferguson imo.

Quote Originally Posted by laffling View Post
    So Wigan have to score 2 goals to have a chance but they are down to 10 because Stam got injured coming on as the last sub.

Edit: Game ends 2-3 to Swansea poor Wigan defending today.
    Making me rather less stressed about the 3rd relegation spot. Wigan now have to win one and draw one of their last two matches, with an FA cup final in between them with Norwich losing both of their matches for us to have the chance of going down. And I just don't see them winning the Arsenal game. Wigan are known as being as proficient at escapology as Houdini, but time is running out for them.

We might just get away with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was born July '86. The end of the Ron Atkinson era. Within months of my birth Sir Alex was appointed manager at United.

All my life I've known one man to be in charge of the club, players have come and gone, I grew up with Kanchelskis, Lee Sharpe, Cantona, Cole, Hughes, McClair, Yorke, Schmeichel, Sheringham, Beckham, Butt, Stam, Keane, Van Nistlerooy, Ronaldo, Van Der Sar, and they've all come and gone. Even Giggs and Scholes are bit part players these days, coming on now and then but aren't a constant name on the pitch the way they use to be.

The one constant throughout that time has been Sir Alex Ferguson, the European '99 final is burned in my mind as one of the greatest nights in my life. I remember the post match interview where the whole thing was summed up with three words.

"Football, bloody hell."

I don't know who'll take over, I can't begin to speculate and I don't want to. But whoever takes over is grabbing hold of the biggest reigns in football management to follow up. Ferguson built that club 3 times over, and his reputation and determination is what drives success. Any manager replacing him needs to be able to emulate that, or the job will simply tear them apart.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

15+ Year Old Account
    News sites I've been reading seem to indicate Moyes is going to take over, what a blow to Everton that would be. They're expecting Moyes to announce in the next 24 hours he'll be taking over.

10+ Year Old Account
    No Champions League experience, no title contention experience, no experience with big money club finances.

I know people have been hailing Moyes since O'Neil stopped being the press darling, but I can't see this.

I wouldn't like to be in any manager's shoes who has to step into that Managerial position. All eyes going to be on you and not for one season. Constantly being compared to Fergie for the rest of your career at United would be quite intimidating.

In saying that I would love to see a chain of events like so:

Dortmund to win Champos.

Klopp to leave on a high.

Klopp to United!! (Bringing Reus and Lewandowski)

10+ Year Old Account
    A couple of my friends have been saying they want Klopp. It's a good fit in my opinion IF he can tie himself down to a club with stability.

This is the only reason Mourinho would be a bad fit at United for example, he simply hasn't proven his ability to sit at a club for 5+ years and manage with stability. United don't need someone who can't dedicate the next decade (exceptional circumstances of health considering) to the management of the club.

What you have to remember is that prior to being United manager Fergie didn't have big money club finances & well, winning the Scottish League wasn't exactly difficult in the Marlbourgh days up here, granted he'd won a CWC & a Super Cup before going to united, but that's not the world's most impressive resume - even for a club of Uniteds stature in the mid 80's! I know what you're saying, but I also don't think you can purely judge based on lack of experience there, he's been arguably one of the more consistent managers in England at a club where he's had notoriously patchy support from the board which is not glamorous - there's also a secondary.

Would Mourinho take the United job essentially knowing whoever comes in has a thankless task ahead of them - I'm not being funny, but this could be an even worse job than Stamford Bridge because you KNOW whoever takes it is going to be chewed up and spat out if they don't maintain course if not better it. Plus whoever takes over will constantly have Fergie upstairs, I've seen that situation many times before and it often leads to trouble.

I agree it needs someone with some skill & ability, but looking around the list of available names which you'd say were "worthy" is slim & there's an argument that none of them are British - being honest I'm struggling to think of any more than maybe 2-3 names who I'd consider to be ready to take the job and one of them's currently unavailable.

(The other thing that I'm thinking is that perhaps this "hip surgery" Fergie is going for might be a smokescreen, no offense here boys, but we're all reasonably intelligent sorts, we know that as we get older the body starts to betray us and well, it could be that Fergie might be facing more than a plastic hip in his near future? I'm not his doctor, so this is just me thinking aloud, but most guys who get to their 70's start to experience problems elsewhere and high stress situations have been known to be a factor in these.)
    Last edited by koodledrum; 2013-05-08 at 01:35 PM.

Deleted
    I'm no Utd fan but I'd love to see Jose go there for no other reason than to stuff Chelsea and their disgraceful fans for the way they have treated RB.