Steelseries Cataclysm Mouse not working in UEFI BIOS?

Hi fellow MMO-players. My GF built a new computer at the start of this summer and upgraded her old WoW Mouse to the new Cataclysm model.

The new motherboard is an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX which uses UEFI.
    The problem is that in UEFI the Cataclysm mouse only moves sideways. Has this happened to any other users of it?

The mouse works fine mostly in Windows and while gaming only it often needs replugging to work after a cold reboot of her computer.

Any ideas of what it might be?
    In the darkness all cats are gray...
    www.onyxsoft.se - Amigans never surrender, they know they can do it better =)

Without any real reason it may be the cause, tried other USB-ports?

Aye, tried both front which go to the internal ones and a couple on the back.

Deleted
    Most likely a polling rate issue. My Naos 5000 won't work in UEFI or with my Raspberry Pi at 1000MHz. I need to dial it down to the default 125MHz for it to work.

Some USB mice come with the polling rate set higher; or overclocked, from the factory. The new version of the G400 is for example reported to run at 1000MHz by default. Your mouse, the Steelseries Cataclysm Mouse, seems to be set at 250, 500 and 1000MHz. See if you can set it lower in the mouse software (try 250 if 125 doesn't exist).

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Most likely a polling rate issue. My Naos 5000 won't work in UEFI or with my Raspberry Pi at 1000MHz. I need to dial it down to the default 125MHz for it to work.

Some USB mice come with the polling rate set higher; or overclocked, from the factory. The new version of the G400 is for example reported to run at 1000MHz by default. Your mouse, the Steelseries Cataclysm Mouse, seems to be set at 250, 500 and 1000MHz. See if you can set it lower in the mouse software (try 250 if 125 doesn't exist).
    Was set at 500, tried to lower it to 250, but it still only goes sideways in UEFI. I'll keep googling around to see if Steelseries have any answers.

Deleted
    As stated default is 125MHz. Anything above that might/will cause issues. Try using a PS/2 adapter (if your motherboard has a connector) as this should force the mouse to use 125MHz (?).

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    As stated default is 125MHz. Anything above that might/will cause issues. Try using a PS/2 adapter (if your motherboard has a connector) as this should force the mouse to use 125MHz (?).
    With a PS/2 adapter, the mouse just doesn't work at all, it won't even light up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blackeagle View Post
    With a PS/2 adapter, the mouse just doesn't work at all, it won't even light up.
    Not surprised; it was a long-shot. My Naos doesn't work with a PS/2 adapter either. These mice need the power supplied by the USB port to function properly.

I'm not sure what else you can try in all honestly. Perhaps a factory reset will fix it. You could try updating the firmware. Short of that; get another mouse or simply use your keyboard.

Yeah, she swaps in her old Steelseries WoW mouse when she needs to fiddle in UEFI atm, so it works, just a bit annoying to have to unplug that one from the browsing computer. But you don't fiddle in UEFI too often so it's bearable I guess.

Did see there is a new BIOS for the motherboard though, so I'm going to flash my own motherboard and try her mouse, since I also have the Sabertooth 990FX, and see if it helps. It did state "Compatibility with some USB devices" as one of the fixes, so it can't hurt to try =)

Is Legacy USB activated in the BIOS?

Problem solved: Last BIOS update (13.04, 2012.07.20) fixed the issue on my computer, now I just need to tell my GF to flash her BIOS as well =)
    (And yes, legacy was switched on earlier.)

EDIT: Sigh, ofc it has to NOT WORK in her motherboard with the same new BIOS... Time to go digging in all the settings again.
    Last edited by blackeagle; 2012-08-12 at 06:22 PM.

Blackeagle,

Please make sure Wake on Lan is enabled. It may be under ACPI settings.

If this still does not work, I'd suggest logging a ticket on the SteelSeries Support portal. I can't link it directly but if you go to the SteelSeries website and click support, you can do it there.

I'd need a full list of your UEFI settings to be of more assistance.

Deleted
    I don't say this to be a smart ass and of course it's still important to you that your hardware works but can't you just use your keyboard and shortcuts?

Since we both flashed our BIOS to the latest version both got reset to default settings, so the BIOS issue is weird. I will do some more tests, when she isn't using her computer for a while.
    The "not working at cold reboot without unplug/replug" issue is a bit more annoying, so hopefully that can be fixed with USB setting or something.

@Notarget: of course she can use her keyboard, but in an UEFI BIOS it takes a bit longer to navigate without a mouse. Not a major issue, since you rarely enter BIOS, but it's still a weird bug.