Page 1 of 22
... LastLast

So thieves, and to hurt em or not.

Hey,
    Here in the netherlands there is a pretty big mess up about hurting thieves.
    Last week there was a guy who punched a thief to death, he tried to steal his stuff in his house.
    And that guy is now at the police office.

Our police chef said in the newspaper:
    When there is a robbery in your house going , you should either try to flee, or just watch them steal your stuff, but dont try to hurt yourself.

What is your viewing on this? should those guys just be killed on sight? or able to defend yourself with stuff like a bassbal bat?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Will it end well if you let them take off with your material goods? Probably. You have insurance, and you can give the police a description.

Will it end well if you take matters into your hands? Probably not. Too many cases like the one mentioned by the OP, where it didn't.

Deleted
    I don't see the problem letting people defend their belongings, but it's their choice to do it, as it can be dangerous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing I own is worth physically harming someone (or myself) over. It's just stuff.

You should be able able to defend yourself/your stuff with whatever you have if they don't immediately leave. Of course you assume the risks of being attacked by the thief though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Nothing I own is worth physically harming someone (or myself) over. It's just stuff.
    I agree in principle. If I actually walked into my apartment and saw someone trying to steal my computer or TV, I don't know how I'd react. I'd probably flee and dial 911 though... I don't need to get shot over a TV.

Its sounds quite... weird... to hear that he "punched" him to death - it usually takes more than a few punches to do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if you fear for you're life you certainly could here. That can also be used in a number of instances so that is not the best option. I would just do what the police chief stated and try to flee or watch them take you're stuff.

I don't see how not acting helpless gets you arrested. If someone is illegally on your property, you are allowed to do anything to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    I don't see how not acting helpless gets you arrested. If someone is illegally on your property, you are allowed to do anything to them.
    Not in my country as i said, that guy is going to jail now for protecting his own stuff :s
    And yes he really punched him to dead. i dont know how. probally just a really good hit in the head.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Did he really need to punch the guy to death? He could have just beat the guy up enough to incapacitate him and then call the cops. In most cases you can defend yourself without killing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Well, most countries have laws that specifically allow to defend yourself and your property. But most countries also allow only the use of appropriate force.
    I do not know about the case you are stating, but for example if the burglar tried to flee after you made him, and you catch him and beat him to death, this for sure is not the use of appropriate force. If of course he went after you, and you beat him to death with a bottle, then this obviously would be appropriate force.

The guy who punched the thief to death deserves to be in jail honestly.

*Sees guy stealing stuff*
    *chases him and starts punching TO DEATH*

The guy was probably saying something or at least begging him to stop and he beat him to death? Like seriously it takes a lot to beat someone to death.

---------- Post added 2012-08-12 at 03:03 PM ----------

He punched him... to death. He could have knocked him out or detained him and called the cops, he was clearly physically stronger. Instead he beat him to death.

I think if someone's breaking into your house to take your stuff, any legal protections should be null and void.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    I think if someone's breaking into your house to take your stuff, any legal protections should be null and void.
    Nothing in my house plus my feelings of security aren't worth killing someone over.

I feel you should be allowed to incapacitate them, but seriously harming people is out of the question.

And seriously, punched to death? Why not just make sure they don't run away?
    Resurrected Holy Priest

One punch is enough to kill someone, so "punched to death" is a meaningless description.

With that said I think the thief got what he deserved.

Kill on sight? For appearing to be stealing? Wtf?

Defending your property with reasonable force is one thing. Viciously attacking someone who is no longer a threat, or using deadly force when none is warranted, would be murder/manslaughter. No idea which applies to the OP's case, but when you go into it with a menality like "kill on sight" it's called murder.

No you aren't.

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone breaks into your house at night, kill as fast as is possible regardless. If someone breaks into your house in the day and takes any aggressive action whatsoever (armed or unarmed)., kill them as fast as is possible. If someone breaks into your house in the day and attempts to flee without any aggressive action toward you, attempt to apprehend/disable them by any means necessary (including deadly force) but attempt not to kill them while doing so (if you do end up killing them without intending to though your fine).
    Last edited by DEATHETERNAL; 2012-08-12 at 07:36 PM.

Nothing would deter small time thieves than mutilation and being marked for life as such. I know, it is brutal and barbaric. Woopeedoo. Works better than sending them to free-meal-and-medic-care jails for a couple of months so they can learn more criminal skills.

I think the knowledge that you're going to lose a hand and get "THIEF" tattooed on your forehead might work wonders on anyone considering taking that specific career.

Of course, the mellow-hearted people of this age rather bend over and have their money taken, believing the thief must've had a very bad life to reach that point.

Quote Originally Posted by helma View Post
    Hey,
    Here in the netherlands there is a pretty big mess up about hurting thieves.
    Last week there was a guy who punched a thief to death, he tried to steal his stuff in his house.
    And that guy is now at the police office.

Our police chef said in the newspaper:
    When there is a robbery in your house going , you should either try to flee, or just watch them steal your stuff, but dont try to hurt yourself.

What is your viewing on this? should those guys just be killed on sight? or able to defend yourself with stuff like a bassbal bat?
    I personally don't see a problem with this.

If the thief didn't want to win a stupid prize he shouldn't have played a stupid game.