Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I can, but I work in the fitness industry so you pretty much have to be somewhat of a model for fitness.

Most people can't even come close to benching their body weight so don't feel bad if you can't.

i think every "normal" person is able to do this - it's like pullups.

I really don't know my own strength, but I'm a pretty big guy, so I doubt I could bench over 200 pounds. My arms aren't really that large =/

15+ Year Old Account
    No, not yet, But the more I hit the gym the more weight I'll lose and the more I'll be able to lift, so I'll break even at some point ^__^ I rep about 60-70kg currenty and I weigh about 95kg.

Similar with Pull Ups, can manage about 5 proper ones, then (strangely very suddenly) they go to pot >__< Chin ups I'm a bit better with though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymei View Post
    Strength is useless, I pity body builders and I think anything past going to the gym to be healthy is a huge waste of time and resources.
    Benching your body weight isn't an "unhealthy" amount of body-building, it's really not that much once you are in shape (as a side note, this thread is motivating me to start going regularly again). Twice your body weight, I'd agree, is taking it to an extreme level, but 150-185 lbs (or like 65-85 kg) isn't that much that you need an unhealthy amount of steroids to reach it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    Benching your body weight isn't an "unhealthy" amount of body-building, it's really not that much once you are in shape (as a side note, this thread is motivating me to start going regularly again). Twice your body weight, I'd agree, is taking it to an extreme level, but 150-185 lbs (or like 65-85 kg) isn't that much that you need an unhealthy amount of steroids to reach it.
    I can bench 165 but I am 240 LBS myself, fat I mean. :P So no, absolutely don't need drugs to reach that level.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    No, definitely not. I'm ~105lbs, and there's no way that I could bench press this weight.
    Have you ever tried this?

You might be surprised by what you can lift, I am serious.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Been working out for a few months now, but can still only bench about half of my 230 lb weight. Gimme another year.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

He's also 11 feet tall and can launch a basketball from beyond the 3 point line without much effort.
    err.. you totally missed my point
    reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it?

I weigh 160 and can easily bench that in reps. The one lift maximum thing is kind of stupid. I never even worried about it.
    gw2 is a great game

TBH, benching (1 lift) your own weight is a small feat unless you are obese. I'm 42 years old and I can do 15 reps easy on my weight. I can also do 15 wide grip pull ups and I'm by no means a "bodybuilder", just focused on staying fit.
    Last edited by Waynhim; 2013-05-09 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    No, and most people here who think they can are stroking their own egos.
    Well a thread like this will definitely bring in a lot of the gym buffs to come share their opinions... That's why it seems the majority can. I used to be 105 - 110 KGs and could only bench 60kg max. Since then I did a lot of good eating and running and now I weight 65KG and can max out at 75KG - 80KG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traknel View Post
    Yes it is. In fact, the next expansion is going to be called "Mists of Metzen" and is just going to be various mobs with his face stuck on them.

Uhm, yeah, ego is the only reason why one should try to stay in shape.

The health benefits of stimulating muscles growth/fighting muscle regression, (espcially if you want to have a functional body for the later stages of life), are well documented in addition to being by far the best way to burn excess fat/calories, (due to the fact that your burn for several hours after the work out.)

Strength is useless, I pity body builders and I think anything past going to the gym to be healthy is a huge waste of time and resources.
    This is just plain dopey. No matter who you are, muscular strength is good for your health, and will improve performance in almost any sport. Even skinny ass runners do training to improve core strength.

---------- Post added 2013-05-09 at 10:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    What makes you say so? I don't regard myself as a strong guy, and I only hit the weights about once or twice a week, but I do reps with a fair bit over my body weight (I'm 135, typically doing three sets of ten reps, 150-160 pounds, in the context of a normal workout). For anyone that cares about fitness, maxxing at over their body weight isn't really a big deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    155 15+ times.
    Stationed at McGuire, AFB.
    PC Specs: i5-3570K, GTX 690, Gigabyte UD5H, Corsair Vengeance 8GB, Corsair AX750, H100i, Phantom 630 case, Asus VH236H

i weight about 75kg, just hit 105kg as 1 rep max.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Deleted
    I have been going to the gym for about 5 months. And I still cant benchpress my own weight. I'm 1.90m and weigh 80kg. (6 feet 3 inches, 176lbs). I usually goes for 50-60kg with 10x3 reps. But I havent tried to take my own weight though, doubt I can.
    Still I dont really care, running and keeping myself fit is more important to me than benchpressing my weight

10+ Year Old Account
    I weigh 150 lbs and I can usually get up to 165-170 if I have a partner spot for me. If I'm by myself I try not to push myself that far, as I'd rather not drop the weights on my face. Of course whenever I say I can get up to 170 my friends who weigh like 220 start to chuckle a little bit even though they don't work out. Bet they couldn't do 240 though. :P
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

10+ Year Old Account
    70 kg and doing 5x75 now after 5 months of going to the gym. I'd gess most people wo are a bit fit could do it.
    The average person however isn't very fit

313.9lbs at 165lbs.Some freak (and I mean that in the best way possible) hit 352.7lbs at same weight class last meet I was at. Totaled over 1200. Someday...maybe
    Last edited by Lockstatus; 2013-06-01 at 08:34 AM.