Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Never really used it other than to draw dicks. Skelington just opened the big map if he needed to know where to go.

The minimap? Barely.

The real map? All the damn time. Good thing theres auto-run.

10+ Year Old Account
    where ever you are when you've just had a long fight against another player, to screw up your day
    i feel i dont look at the minimap enough :P i find myself looking at the screen too much and missing so many nodes :P because i'm trying to find hidden little nookes and crannies, and i found one in the 25-35 area that has a sign in it saying "greed is dangerous" and a chest that kills you if you open it, (well downs you) and after going through a series of underwater tunnels found some ghost pirates and mystical tourches, havent found out what to do in there but i'm sure i'll spend hours in there at launch :P

Deleted
    I'd say turning all icons off gives you a much better experience. No guidance and no directions = free roaming exploration!

But in GW1, watching the minimap was way worse (unless you disabled it) as you had an aggro range radius on it so you were always making sure you weren't pulling extra mobs or trying to slip inbetween packs. I missed so much of the breathtaking scenery in GW1 by looking at the minimap too much so in GW2 I'm going to go in without exploratio icons until im lvl80!

lol it is like a guy that just wont stop to ask for directions.

How did you tell the bad player in GW1 from a good one?

The size and placement of minimap on his HUD. The bigger and more noticeable the minimap, the better the player.

GW2 is not that different.

Well I never really had this problem! I just liked trying to climb trees!

I dont have that minimap problem. I do need to stop drinking coffee while watching forums, nearly spilled some when I saw the pic where you actually used a piece of paper to hide it.. Haha , nice one.
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

I actually keep forgetting its there. I keep popping the big map to see where I'm going and then put it away to actually see the surroundings. I almost never use the mini.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vilhelm1992 View Post
    [...]i'm trying to find hidden little nookes and crannies, and i found one in the 25-35 area that has a sign in it saying "greed is dangerous" and a chest that kills you if you open it, (well downs you) and after going through a series of underwater tunnels found some ghost pirates and mystical tourches, havent found out what to do in there but i'm sure i'll spend hours in there at launch :P
    That is awesome! I feel so down when people find really cool things that I never discover for myself. QQ That's cool though.

Deleted
    that sounds plain retarded to me... so in 100 minutes you look at the actual game for a total of 5 minutes?
    i use the minimap for simple directions, as to where the story is taking me and gathering nodes.

lol, it reminds me when I was farming in WoW with the addon Gatherer (the one who show you potential mines and herbs). I was able to go through the entire zone without ever looking in front of me.

I have the same problem in Diablo.

Deleted
    I like staring at the minimap.

Every now and again I fall off a cliff and it's hilarious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lifram View Post
    that sounds plain retarded to me... so in 100 minutes you look at the actual game for a total of 5 minutes?
    i use the minimap for simple directions, as to where the story is taking me and gathering nodes.
    Lol, I was over exaggerating, I don't literally stare at it for 95% of time, I was just making a point on how dependent I am on the map and wondered if people were dependent on the map as well.

i read somewhere they were adding an option to disactivate the icons, but what i cant recall is if that was for the minimap or the main map

I think it's a legitimate concern, for sure. I'd like to have some better way of seeing crafting nodes and DEs on the screen (because I feel like those need to be constantly monitored, unlike hearts/waypoints), perhaps similar to the waypoint mods/tomtom in WoW.

When Dark Age of Camelot launched it didn't have an in-game map of any kind. You had to rely on the paper map that came with the game. And it was awesome. I'll never have the same kind of explorious feeling again. Of course I was lost most of the time, but it was fun.