Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

GW2 supports FXAA right? My nVidia control panel claims it doesn't...

So the last 2 stress tests I've been pulling my hair out because I just can't get the game to run. I click on play, just get black screen with GW2 cursor, music playing, but just stays there and Task Manager says it's not responding. I've googled for solutions, tried everything, nothing works. Currently in contact with GW2 support about the matter, hoping to get it fixed before 25th so I can actually play and take advantage of the headstart perk I paid more for via ArenaNet, than buying in a shop.

Anyway, one thing I noticed in my nVidia Control Panel, when selecting Gw2.exe, that it says next to FXAA "Not supported by the application" (or something of the sorts, can't be bothered to go look exactly what it says) and is greyed out. However after googling, it seems apparent to me that GW2 does support this, or at least that's what people seem to be saying on various forums.

So, is nVidia Control Panel telling the truth or is something wrong here?

I have a Gigabyte GTX460 1GB Super Overclock Editon btw, running latest stable WHQL drivers (301.24), with 2 monitors attached, one through HDMI and other through DVI. (I tried unplugged 2nd monitor and running game, no difference).

If I remember correctly, gw2 does have an option for fxaa. I noticed it in todays stress test.
    nVidia Control Panel says the same thing for me.

Deleted
    It has the option for FXAA but i think its an driver problem.
    Tried these drivers (Version 301.42 - WHQL)?

Cant post an direct link yet.
    But if you go to the Geforce website and look for the most recent driver you should be able to find them there.
    Last edited by mmoc9fd4e85826; 2012-08-12 at 08:08 PM.

idk if it is supported on cards or not, but in the options menu in game theres an option called anti-aliasing, and in there there are only two options, either none, or FXAA. I saw some questionable fps with FXAA so I turned it off myself, there wasn't a big difference that I would miss really.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelche View Post
    It has the option for FXAA but i think its an driver problem.
    Tried these drivers (Version 301.42 - WHQL)?

Cant post an direct link yet.
    But if you go to the Geforce website and look for the most recent driver you should be able to find them there.
    yeah, it's in my original post, I'm using 301.42 drivers. I've also tried latest beta drivers, no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldrath View Post
    idk if it is supported on cards or not, but in the options menu in game theres an option called anti-aliasing, and in there there are only two options, either none, or FXAA. I saw some questionable fps with FXAA so I turned it off myself, there wasn't a big difference that I would miss really.
    Yeah people on these various forums said turning FXAA on ingame reduced performance, however I can't even get the game to run, so, was wondering if the fact nVidia control panel saying Gw2.exe doesn't support FXAA could be the problem. But seeing other's people nVidia control panels are saying the same, and they can run the game, guess that isn't it... sigh... guess I'll keep looking

edit: I briefly got the game to run on the stress test on the 10th, I think by changing the nVidia control panel option multi display/mixed-GPU acceleration to 'single display perfomance mode'. I got the game running then, got ingame, changed the graphic settings from Fullscreen mode to Windowed Fullscreen mode, and then 2 minutes later it crashed, and everytime i tried to restart the game, it would just crash. After reinstalling completely, the said "multi display/mixed-GPU acceleration to 'single display perfomance mode'" fix no longer worked, still black screen with cursor and music when trying that. Literally nothing I try does anything at all, it's getting really frustrating, especially the fact you can only try fix these problems when they are running a beta or stress test... Would be nice to like be able to load the game but just have no servers listed if there is no stress test or beta, so I could at least work daily on trying to fix this bloody annoying problem. Thanks ArenaNet or NCSoft for that, whoever is to blame.

Beta Weekend 1 worked fine for me by the way.

Also the only thing I've changed is where Guild Wars 2 is installed. During Beta Weekend 1 it was installed on my D: partition, a normal sata harddrive, now it is installed on my C: partition, my 128GB SSD. It's a long shot, but that couldn't be the problem could it?
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2012-08-12 at 08:23 PM.

Deleted
    Maybe its just windows being annoying with some uac pop-up that doenst show up.
    Tried running the game in Asministrator mode? Right click the shortcut and click on "run as administrator".
    Last edited by mmoc9fd4e85826; 2012-08-12 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    yeah, it's in my original post, I'm using 301.42 drivers. I've also tried latest beta drivers, no luck.

Yeah people on these various forums said turning FXAA on ingame reduced performance, however I can't even get the game to run, so, was wondering if the fact nVidia control panel saying Gw2.exe doesn't support FXAA could be the problem. But seeing other's people nVidia control panels are saying the same, and they can run the game, guess that isn't it... sigh... guess I'll keep looking

edit: I briefly got the game to run on the stress test on the 10th, I think by changing the nVidia control panel option multi display/mixed-GPU acceleration to 'single display perfomance mode'. I got the game running then, got ingame, changed the graphic settings from Fullscreen mode to Windowed Fullscreen mode, and then 2 minutes later it crashed, and everytime i tried to restart the game, it would just crash. After reinstalling completely, the said "multi display/mixed-GPU acceleration to 'single display perfomance mode'" fix no longer worked, still black screen with cursor and music when trying that. Literally nothing I try does anything at all, it's getting really frustrating, especially the fact you can only try fix these problems when they are running a beta or stress test... Would be nice to like be able to load the game but just have no servers listed if there is no stress test or beta, so I could at least work daily on trying to fix this bloody annoying problem. Thanks ArenaNet or NCSoft for that, whoever is to blame.

Beta Weekend 1 worked fine for me by the way.

Also the only thing I've changed is where Guild Wars 2 is installed. During Beta Weekend 1 it was installed on my D: partition, a normal sata harddrive, now it is installed on my C: partition, my 128GB SSD. It's a long shot, but that couldn't be the problem could it?
    I don't think the SSD would cause that kind of issue. I've had issues with them before, not in this game but in Skyrim, and my issue was just that one of the cables came loose and wasn't secured properly. If you posted more info, like what PSU/CPU/GPU/MOBO I could take a look and see if any potential problems stand out. But I can't guarantee anything. Could be just a software setup issue.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelche View Post
    Maybe its just windows being annoying with some uac pop-up that doenst show up.
    Tried running the game in Asministrator mode? Right click the shortcut and click on "run as administrator".
    Yeah tried that too, I always run it as Administrator.

I don't think the SSD would cause that kind of issue. I've had issues with them before, not in this game but in Skyrim, and my issue was just that one of the cables came loose and wasn't secured properly. If you posted more info, like what PSU/CPU/GPU/MOBO I could take a look and see if any potential problems stand out. But I can't guarantee anything. Could be just a software setup issue.
    Ok, info inc:

Mobo: Asus P7P55 LX Socket 1156
    CPU: Intel Core i5-760 (2.80GHz Quad Core) - not overclocked or anything
    RAM: 8GB DDR3-1333 Geil Enhance Corsa (2 2x 2GB Dual Channel kits)
    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 1GB Super Overclock Edition - 2 monitors connected, 1 via HDMI and the other via DVI. Running latest 301.24 WHQL drivers.
    PSU: XFX PRO650W Core Edition (so 650W )
    SSD: Crucial M4 128GB (with latest firmware)

I'd list my Harddrives but they're just standard SATA 5400RPM ones, nothing special, and nothing big, one is 200GB and the other 400GB I think.

Outdated mobo, CPU, GFX card etc, I know, I was rather silly and didn't do enough research when I bought it, as a few months later the socket 1155 mobos came out along with the core i5-2500k. I was butthurt like mad ;D So not getting the full speed potential out of my SSD for the minute, as my motherboard doesn't have any SATA 6GB/s ports, only 3GB/s. But that's beside the current topic issue ^^

Need to get my damn GW2 working before 25th darnit!

edit: A week ago I made a partition on my PC (on a normal HDD, not on my SSD) for Windows 8, been testing it on my laptop and was planning to test it on my Desktop, think I might install it tonight and install GW2 on that, you never know... lol. There are beta nVidia drivers out for my card for Windows 8 64bit... so, might as well ^^
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2012-08-12 at 09:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    FXAA is in the game and it is in the Nvidia control panel in general settings you can use it, in the program specific options ie gw2.exe is not supported, meaning Nvidia has not updated the drivers to recognize/support GW2 yet.

Yeah tried that too, I always run it as Administrator.

Ok, info inc:

Mobo: Asus P7P55 LX Socket 1156
    CPU: Intel Core i5-760 (2.80GHz Quad Core) - not overclocked or anything
    RAM: 8GB DDR3-1333 Geil Enhance Corsa (2 2x 2GB Dual Channel kits)
    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 1GB Super Overclock Edition - 2 monitors connected, 1 via HDMI and the other via DVI. Running latest 301.24 WHQL drivers.
    PSU: XFX PRO650W Core Edition (so 650W )
    SSD: Crucial M4 128GB (with latest firmware)

I'd list my Harddrives but they're just standard SATA 5400RPM ones, nothing special, and nothing big, one is 200GB and the other 400GB I think.

Outdated mobo, CPU, GFX card etc, I know, I was rather silly and didn't do enough research when I bought it, as a few months later the socket 1155 mobos came out along with the core i5-2500k. I was butthurt like mad ;D So not getting the full speed potential out of my SSD for the minute, as my motherboard doesn't have any SATA 6GB/s ports, only 3GB/s. But that's beside the current topic issue ^^

Need to get my damn GW2 working before 25th darnit!

edit: A week ago I made a partition on my PC (on a normal HDD, not on my SSD) for Windows 8, been testing it on my laptop and was planning to test it on my Desktop, think I might install it tonight and install GW2 on that, you never know... lol. There are beta nVidia drivers out for my card for Windows 8 64bit... so, might as well ^^
    Yeah the mobo is a shame, since its only 3gb/s sata ports, you can't take full advantage of your SSD's 6gb/s transfer rate, so you can't get as good as you could out of the SSD. Don't think that would cause this problem but something to look out for when you upgrade sometime.

The CPU will bottleneck you so the GPU won't run as well as it could. Will hurt your framerate.

The GPU is good enough for high/very high settings, but with that CPU it won't run very well, so you will not want to have your settings that high. Ultimately you will want to pass on FXAA with that hardware setup you have atm. Go for Balanced settings and turn some things down, like shadows might want to turn shadows off altogether, you won't want to run FXAA and shaders are a maybe.

Multi monitor displays would be fine with your setup, just keep the game set to one of them, not both. If you are not using a 1920x1080 resolution on your main display for the game, you might be able to get away with some higher settings.

So maybe check your nvidia settings I don't really know what could be causing that issue you are having other than just loose cable between your SSD and the PSU/MOBO

Deleted
    You could always inject FXAA. Or, even better, SMAA.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the mobo is a shame, since its only 3gb/s sata ports, you can't take full advantage of your SSD's 6gb/s transfer rate, so you can't get as good as you could out of the SSD. Don't think that would cause this problem but something to look out for when you upgrade sometime.

The CPU will bottleneck you so the GPU won't run as well as it could. Will hurt your framerate.

The GPU is good enough for high/very high settings, but with that CPU it won't run very well, so you will not want to have your settings that high. Ultimately you will want to pass on FXAA with that hardware setup you have atm. Go for Balanced settings and turn some things down, like shadows might want to turn shadows off altogether, you won't want to run FXAA and shaders are a maybe.

Multi monitor displays would be fine with your setup, just keep the game set to one of them, not both. If you are not using a 1920x1080 resolution on your main display for the game, you might be able to get away with some higher settings.

So maybe check your nvidia settings I don't really know what could be causing that issue you are having other than just loose cable between your SSD and the PSU/MOBO
    Yeah, my next upgrade was going to be a new case and fans, but I'm probably going to wait with that and get a new motherboard and CPU, got 600 euros coming from the tax man at end september, think that'll get me something decent ^^ (might even be able to afford the case and fans too).

But my GPU is fine for the next year or two, if I understood what you said, so I don't need to really upgrade that yet?

Anyway, I'll wait to see what GW2 Support say I guess...

Yeah, my next upgrade was going to be a new case and fans, but I'm probably going to wait with that and get a new motherboard and CPU, got 600 euros coming from the tax man at end september, think that'll get me something decent ^^ (might even be able to afford the case and fans too).

But my GPU is fine for the next year or two, if I understood what you said, so I don't need to really upgrade that yet?

Anyway, I'll wait to see what GW2 Support say I guess...

the GPU is fine you don't need to upgrade that anytime soon, I had a very similar setup to what you have atm, almost identical only amd instead of intel. upgrading the mobo and the cpu is what you should focus on right now. Get a better cpu, like 3.4ghz quad core is what i got, and make sure you get a mobo that can support it, i made the mistake of thinking i could just upgrade the CPU, but putting a 125w cpu in a mobo that can only support up to 95w, which is your mobos maximum, just like mine was, is a ticking timebomb and doesn't work. so make sure whatever mobo you get can support that cpus power consumption, and look for one with at least 1 6gb/s sata port for your SSD. my GPU is similar to yours, slightly weaker, and for me upgrading the cpu/mobo made a bigger difference than i thought it would, night and day. as it is right now, your cpu will struggle to process everything that's going on, and as such won't be able to send frames to the gpu fast enough so they can be rendered by the gpu, which causes a low framerate. getting a better cpu will remove that bottleneck so the gpu can actually get to work. I got my cpu and mobo for $100 each, so with 600 euro, I think you could pull off both of them and even a case and fans. Hyper212 cooler would be great for the cpu as well especially if you want to overclock it. That GPU will pull off high/very high if you upgrade the cpu, but It would struggle with ultra, if it could pull it off, so if you really want the ultimate settings, you would want to upgrade it eventually, but you can get damn close to ultra with it.

I thought that if a game supported FXAA natively then you couldn't add it in the nVidia Control Panel? At least that's how I remember reading about it a while back. On my 680 I can enable it in-game and it does improve the image quality but doesn't decrease performance (at least doesn't decrease it noticeably).

EDIT: Just checked and it even shows Max Payne 3 as not supporting FXAA even though Max Payne 3 has FXAA native support. So it really does seem like games that support FXAA natively cannot have it enabled in the Control Panel.
    Last edited by Roshar; 2012-08-13 at 12:25 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    the GPU is fine you don't need to upgrade that anytime soon, I had a very similar setup to what you have atm, almost identical only amd instead of intel. upgrading the mobo and the cpu is what you should focus on right now. Get a better cpu, like 3.4ghz quad core is what i got, and make sure you get a mobo that can support it, i made the mistake of thinking i could just upgrade the CPU, but putting a 125w cpu in a mobo that can only support up to 95w, which is your mobos maximum, just like mine was, is a ticking timebomb and doesn't work. so make sure whatever mobo you get can support that cpus power consumption, and look for one with at least 1 6gb/s sata port for your SSD. my GPU is similar to yours, slightly weaker, and for me upgrading the cpu/mobo made a bigger difference than i thought it would, night and day. as it is right now, your cpu will struggle to process everything that's going on, and as such won't be able to send frames to the gpu fast enough so they can be rendered by the gpu, which causes a low framerate. getting a better cpu will remove that bottleneck so the gpu can actually get to work. I got my cpu and mobo for $100 each, so with 600 euro, I think you could pull off both of them and even a case and fans. Hyper212 cooler would be great for the cpu as well especially if you want to overclock it. That GPU will pull off high/very high if you upgrade the cpu, but It would struggle with ultra, if it could pull it off, so if you really want the ultimate settings, you would want to upgrade it eventually, but you can get damn close to ultra with it.
    Ok, thanks for the tips, end of next month I'll probably be making a post asking for advice for which CPU and mobo to get ^^

edit: with the case and fans I was also going to get a Scythe Mugen 2 CPU cooler (and change the stock fan on it ofc) to replace my current Antec Kuhler H2O 620 watercooling, seeing it's not cooling as much as I'd expected it too (or as much as reviews claim it should). Heard good things about the Scythe Mugen 2, but I'll look into the Hyper212 too.

Quote Originally Posted by mofo View Post
    I thought that if a game supported FXAA natively then you couldn't add it in the nVidia Control Panel? At least that's how I remember reading about it a while back. On my 680 I can enable it in-game and it does improve the image quality but doesn't decrease performance (at least doesn't decrease it noticeably).

EDIT: Just checked and it even shows Max Payne 3 as not supporting FXAA even though Max Payne 3 has FXAA native support. So it really does seem like games that support FXAA natively cannot have it enabled in the Control Panel.
    Ok, thanks for checking.

I'm seriously considering doing a complete format of all my drives and reinstalling Windows 7 and everything etc. If GW2 Support can't help me solve the problem before say, the 18th, then I'll probably do that... and hope that does or changes something so the game works :/
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2012-08-13 at 01:27 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ha, GW2 Support are awesome and all, they got back to me pretty quickly (within 48 hours) with a few solutions to my black screen issue, only problem is, I can't test any of them because if there is no beta or stress test running, you can not login and launch the game! >_< So here's me hoping that before the 25th we get another stress test... Pretty annoying they designed it that way, this is in no way game bashing, but WoW for example, even if the servers are offline, you can still login, you just get a blank server list (so if you had problems launching WoW you'd be able to troubleshoot them pretty much whenever you liked). Fact you can't launch GW2 without logging in, is really sorry to say, in my opinion poor design. But I stress me saying that does not mean that I think GW2 is bad. Support have been brilliant so far.

So yeah, fingers crossed we get another stress test so I can test their solutions and hope one of them works!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ha, GW2 Support are awesome and all, they got back to me pretty quickly (within 48 hours) with a few solutions to my black screen issue, only problem is, I can't test any of them because if there is no beta or stress test running, you can not login and launch the game! >_< So here's me hoping that before the 25th we get another stress test... Pretty annoying they designed it that way, this is in no way game bashing, but WoW for example, even if the servers are offline, you can still login, you just get a blank server list (so if you had problems launching WoW you'd be able to troubleshoot them pretty much whenever you liked). Fact you can't launch GW2 without logging in, is really sorry to say, in my opinion poor design. But I stress me saying that does not mean that I think GW2 is bad. Support have been brilliant so far.

So yeah, fingers crossed we get another stress test so I can test their solutions and hope one of them works!
    Not really poor design when the game is not live nor launched yet... if the game was live and launched and for some bizarre reason the servers where down (doesn't happen very often for anet) then yeah you could login no probs and see your list of servers...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoul View Post
    Not really poor design when the game is not live nor launched yet... if the game was live and launched and for some bizarre reason the servers where down (doesn't happen very often for anet) then yeah you could login no probs and see your list of servers...
    Well, I at least don't see a reason why they couldn't make it so you could login (if you had pre purchased or pre-ordered) and launch the game and just get empty server lists even before the release, so people like me, who got a sudden problem with the game during the last Stress Tests, could fix it before the game goes live.

But you're also right, once the game is live, if the servers are down for whatever reason, I guess you'll still be able to login and launch the game. So it is just a pre launch measure, one that is unfortunately not in my favor!
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2012-08-14 at 11:14 AM.

Deleted
    Well, I at least don't see a reason why they couldn't make it so you could login (if you had pre purchased or pre-ordered) and launch the game and just get empty server lists even before the release, so people like me, who got a sudden problem with the game during the last Stress Tests, could fix it before the game goes live.
    What do you need to change? I can have a look after work to see if I can't find a settings file or somesuch, then tell you what to change in order to make it work.

Deleted
    I'm running gw2 on max settings with a Q9550 (consistently above 55 fps) so no need to get a new cpu for this game. I can run every game maxed out together with my 7950. No bottlenecks as of yet, though it is true that a 3750 gets 10 fps more in e.g. arkham city but hell i'm above 66 fps average anyways. (in that game)

I hope you can get a stresstest in with the Nvidia beta drivers, because those seem to fix most problems.
    Try a format before trying again, maybe it'll work