Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
LastLast
  1. #201
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,030
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Also most "hard" creatures involved just getting enough people to zerg it, and take turns taking smacks to the face and reviving.
    I feel worth pointing out: this is only true for players who aren't very good.

    I spent about 2-3 minutes soloing a Champion Marauder in Wayfarer Foothills and got him to 50% HP, without dying, before other people showed up. I could easily have finished him off on my own if I'd had more time and nobody else crashed the party.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  2. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Just because they don't need to, it doesn't mean they're not able to. :P

    I agree on all other points.
    Sure, but people say that the game encourage team play. Just because we hit the same mob doesn't mean we do team play. I mean if Arenanet had 10 NPC around you to fight alongside you and maybe res you if you die (maybe, I am still not sure if people will res others, we ll see), would you feel like you team play? can you tell the difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Completely off-topic, but your avatar makes me sad

    Such a touching movie.
    Best of all times :P I can still cry if just remember it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    How did u feel when some ppl rezzed u (they did it for the exp mainly) or helped with a mob/boss/enemies in the Bgs (exp-loot) ?
    Good -Neutral -Bad ? :P
    How did u feel in normal bgs at WoW , when an enemy did /bow or /target u for a long of time , but he couldnt speak to u ? :P

    Arenanet cant fix what is already broken , but i hope they trying to bring back the <<feeling>> atleast at some minor point among ur server members , without <<forcing>> those ppl to interact with the others ( but hoping they will get more socialize with the 30 minigames-istances without LFD-arenas-WvWvW-or the DEs like in the end of BWE1 (transforming u into an elemental killing others) or the survival game in BW3)
    I don't expect Arenanet to make people kind and polite and helpful, but I just disagree that GW2 promote socializing and team play. Only thing it does is to prevent jerks harm your gaming experience, which of course is a big step forward. Swtor that didn't had a LFG tool and people actually had to communicate with each other and be polite in order to find group again in that server, has failed. Lot of people quit the game because of this, because they didn't want to spend time talking to other people and build up in-game "friends".

    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    How is that the game's fault?
    Its not :P as I said above, I just don;t think the promote team play and socializing but exactly the opposite. You can now play the game completely "alone" and by alone I mean you don't have to communicate, you don't need to join guilds or groups, just hit the mobs in front of you. And I say it again, if instead of other players around, Arenanet put a bunch of NPCs no one will see the difference.
    The trick of selling a PvP-MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

  3. #203
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,030
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    Its not :P as I said above, I just don;t think the promote team play and socializing but exactly the opposite. You can now play the game completely "alone" and by alone I mean you don't have to communicate, you don't need to join guilds or groups, just hit the mobs in front of you. And I say it again, if instead of other players around, Arenanet put a bunch of NPCs no one will see the difference.
    Said it earlier in this thread I think, but GW2 gameplay very much encourages playing with others. You can play completely "alone" if you want, but when you're put with other people they only provide positive impacts on your gameplay experience.

    WoW and games like it are exactly the opposite. You're required to play with other people and often (not always I will admit) other players will impact your gameplay experience in extremely negative ways (where do you think guild drama comes from?).

    I already play WoW "alone" as you describe it when I play in groups. Or did play, when I was still subscribed. When joining an LFD 5-man, I wouldn't say anything to people in the group. As a tank, I'd charge forward and tank. As a healer, I'd follow the group and heal. As a DPS, I'd charge forward and kill shit, with or without the tank.
    And the runs go better simply because I keep my opinions to myself, and ignore what other people are saying. Literally /ignore, if I really have to.

    But the reason I'm playing alone, while being forced into these groups, is because I really am tired of dealing with the kind of people you run into in LFD groups. Because I'm tired of all the negative impact they cause on my experience. So I just gave up on them. I only really interact with people I'm friends with.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-14 at 06:42 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  4. #204
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    Its not :P as I said above, I just don;t think the promote team play and socializing but exactly the opposite. You can now play the game completely "alone" and by alone I mean you don't have to communicate, you don't need to join guilds or groups, just hit the mobs in front of you. And I say it again, if instead of other players around, Arenanet put a bunch of NPCs no one will see the difference.
    Here's something to consider: Solo play is a fairly significant part of the modern MMO market. There are a lot of players who like the feeling of playing in a living world, but aren't crazy about socializing with strangers. All modern MMOs support that play style to some extent or another.

    You cannot force such players into groups against their will. They will just be unhappy, and the group will be unhappy having to deal with someone who solos by preference. Playing as part of a group has to be by choice.

    Another common playstyle is duo play: For example, my husband and I can't leave the house without finding a babysitter first, so playing games together (especially MMOs) is something that we do frequently. When we do that, we generally prefer not to have strangers in our group all the time. That doesn't mean that we only play as a duo, but we play games by preference that allow us to do that at least some of the time.

    The best way to promote teamplay is to provide an incentive for doing so, without requiring it. People who want to group up, will. Those who don't, won't.

  5. #205
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanie View Post
    The best way to promote teamplay is to provide an incentive for doing so, without requiring it. People who want to group up, will. Those who don't, won't.
    Exactly what I'm getting at.

    On top of that, though, you also want to make sure that, beyond just incentive, there's also not negative ramifications to it. As an example, the concept of "stealing my kills" and whatnot, that you typically experience in MMOs.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  6. #206
    While I hope you continue to keep your enthusiasm about the game, 1 hour of playing is not really enough time to judge something.


    I played a weekend beta of SWTOR and was so in awe of it I bought the collectors edition. When it finally came out I paid for the max sub time and by 1 day after my free time was up I cancelled it because it lost that new game luster and I could see the flaws of it.

  7. #207
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,030
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    1 hour of playing is not really enough time to judge something.
    Uhhh.... 1 hour?

    As has already been said in this thread, there's been three 72-hour sessions called BWEs, as well as six 4-hour stress tests, and then there's all the people who participate in the ongoing internal betas, but aren't allowed to say anything about it.

    This adds up to, for those who have played every hour of every event: 240 hours.
    Plus an extra hour for that last 1-hour stress test.

    If that's not enough time to judge a game, I don't want to imagine what is.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  8. #208
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Said it earlier in this thread I think, but GW2 gameplay very much encourages playing with others. You can play completely "alone" if you want, but when you're put with other people they only provide positive impacts on your gameplay experience.

    WoW and games like it are exactly the opposite. You're required to play with other people and often (not always I will admit) other players will impact your gameplay experience in extremely negative ways (where do you think guild drama comes from?).

    I already play WoW "alone" as you describe it when I play in groups. Or did play, when I was still subscribed. When joining an LFD 5-man, I wouldn't say anything to people in the group. As a tank, I'd charge forward and tank. As a healer, I'd follow the group and heal. As a DPS, I'd charge forward and kill shit, with or without the tank.
    And the runs go better simply because I keep my opinions to myself, and ignore what other people are saying. Literally /ignore, if I really have to.

    But the reason I'm playing alone, while being forced into these groups, is because I really am tired of dealing with the kind of people you run into in LFD groups. Because I'm tired of all the negative impact they cause on my experience. So I just gave up on them. I only really interact with people I'm friends with.
    I really don't disagree with you and we say the same thing :P I am exactly like you. I stopped playing wow regularly because of this. The question is, will you try to join groups in GW2 or you will play alone and why? :P If you and me, with all this bad experience we have, we start joining groups in GW2 with strangers instead to play alone doing DEs and pvp, then I am wrong and GW2 indeed promote the team play and socialization. But I guess, we both dislike to be forced and group with strangers in order to progress in the game and GW2 is the best game for us because we can play alone and progress to the top. And that's why I said it doesn't promote team play and grouping but the opposite. Well this is my opinion :P

    In vanilla and tbc wow I was forced to join groups and guilds but guess what I met some very good people and we still chatting at msn or skype and we still go and try games together with my whole guild. Actually we tried every MMO after wow together. Sadly most of them don't play anymore due to real life issues. If I wasn't forced to join groups and guilds, I would never meet them even if I had the choice to join guilds. So yes, a very difficult game that force people to work together maybe very bad at times but also it may offer you an excellent experience and lots of "internet-friends" to play together lot of games.

    Sylvanie, I agree with you too. I am a solo player at MMOs except wow, where I have my guild. In all MMO's I tried I played along with friends I met in wow and only group with them. Duo leveling is my best gaming activity atm and this is what I will do in GW2 with my friend. But as I said GW2 will not make me join random groups or guilds. So it will not promote socializing and team play for me. Especially because I can play alone and progress to the top...
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2012-08-14 at 07:53 PM.
    The trick of selling a PvP-MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

  9. #209
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,030
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    I really don't disagree with you and we say the same thing :P I am exactly like you. I stopped playing wow regularly because of this. The question is, will you try to join groups in GW2 or you will play alone and why? :P If you and me, with all this bad experience we have, we start joining groups in GW2 with strangers instead to play alone doing DEs and pvp, then I am wrong and GW2 indeed promote the team play and socialization. But I guess, we both dislike to be forced and group with strangers in order to progress in the game and GW2 is the best game for us because we can play alone and progress to the top. And that's why I said it doesn't promote team play and grouping but the opposite. Well this is my opinion :P
    Well, I'll probably not socialize much with the random Sally Standsinfire, but I'm positive I'll make friends here and there. When people would invite me to their group in the betas, I didn't bother declining. Wasn't gonna hurt anything, and it only would bring benefits.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  10. #210
    I dont think gw2 really promotes group play, or only indirectly. What I think it does is rather avoid any anti-social mechanics like no kill steals, everybody loots, helping/buffing out of group, everybody able to rez etc.

    It promotes a good community when acting like a dick isnt the best option. We can all remember some games where tagging mobs was the way to go to level up and other dick move that may give you a bad reputation but were a definite advantage to your selfish progression.
    Damn, I dont know if Im weird but when I play WoW I really act like a dick sometimes taging mobs just before a melee engages, to make the quest go faster for me. I never do that in GW2 so far, I even rez people cuz it gives EXP !

  11. #211
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    He's right in expressing concerns about longevity. We all should be, fanboys and haters alike.

    Raids aren't the only way of providing it, though. I think a lot of pve players will find WvWvW to be enjoyable for a long time as well
    I don't do raids or dungeons that often. Usually too much work IMO setting a time to do it. Make sure you're geared up enough to do it Etc.

    PVP is one that I'm on the fence. I didn't care for WoW's Rift was pretty decent but I quit that because I didn't want to spend another $15 a month on a game I will only play off and on.

    If it's going to be better that WAR then I will have a blast. I recall in open Beta For WAR where we had a see-saw battle in the Realm vs Realm lakes. It was a blast with tons of players battling it out over points etc. I was in the back as usual with my runepriest healing etc. And simply lost track of time. I know there is no dedicated healer in GW2 but If I have a support build I will have so much fun.

    ---------- Post added 2012-08-14 at 02:51 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    While I hope you continue to keep your enthusiasm about the game, 1 hour of playing is not really enough time to judge something.


    I played a weekend beta of SWTOR and was so in awe of it I bought the collectors edition. When it finally came out I paid for the max sub time and by 1 day after my free time was up I cancelled it because it lost that new game luster and I could see the flaws of it.
    I already saw the flaws in SWTOR from the design standpoint even during the beta event weekends. In all the previews from PAX and Other major game expos already I saw that all the focus was on the story as if the story was the selling point of the game. That it was in my case. The stories are great -The implementation of the MP aspect of Warzones was not. I could care less about operations because I'm not a raider. I still bought it because was Star Wars I wanted something new to play around with. After my free month was up, I didn't go back to it until they mentioned the F2P till level 15.

    Frankly SWTOR is a great game but not worth a monthly fee. It's a single players game with badly implemented MP aspects attached to it. I don't want to sound like bashing it. I still play SWTOR occasionally because it's free to play.

  12. #212
    The Lightbringer Rukh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,548
    I can pick up a shovel off the ground and beat a centaur to death with it. This is the game for me.

  13. #213
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Threads like this should be closed just like hate threads, both kinds are extemely anoying. If Ieverybody had to make a thread every time they enjoyed something the forums would be flooded.

    It is new, ofcourse it's special just like WoW or any other game you enjoy does at the beginning. Stop making these kinds of threads already.
    Cool post bro.

    @Frogger237 So you play ToR fora whole weekend but by the first day you get to actually play the game you didn't like it? Doesn't make sense.....also granted 1 hour is not a lot of time, but arenanet has stated that what we experience now is similar to what we experience the whole game. Just because you played a WoW clone and it sucks doesn't mean the same for this game. Again I have done enough research, listened to enough players and the actually got to play the game, so yes I am pretty confident in arenanet and what they have done.

  14. #214
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,030
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    I played a weekend beta of SWTOR and was so in awe of it I bought the collectors edition. When it finally came out I paid for the max sub time and by 1 day after my free time was up I cancelled it because it lost that new game luster and I could see the flaws of it.
    Just for the record, I never once touched Rift, SWTOR, or even WAR. I knew what they were without even having to touch the beta.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  15. #215
    Herald of the Titans Jigain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,718
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    Sure, but people say that the game encourage team play. Just because we hit the same mob doesn't mean we do team play. I mean if Arenanet had 10 NPC around you to fight alongside you and maybe res you if you die (maybe, I am still not sure if people will res others, we ll see), would you feel like you team play? can you tell the difference?
    ...my post had nothing to do with team play, though. It was a reply to the phrase "since you don't need to group/talk with people they cannot insult you", which is incorrect. If I came across you doing a DE and you died, I could easily revive you while typing "lol noob gtfo and go back to playing barbie".

    Not that I, personally, would. But it's a bit far-fetched to say that it's impossible because you don't need to. Like saying it's impossible to climb Mount Everest because there's no fast-food restaurant at the top anyway.

  16. #216
    I wouldn't call an MMORPG without a seamless open and background loading world "special".

    I would even call an MMORPG with loading screens and closed zones mediocre in design.

    The complete absence of mounts or ANY form of fast travel (except for jumping through .... loading screens) is simply cheap.

    Add the extreme lag and terrible engine problems with floating avatars in instanced warzones and you'll see where this is going to for the X time again...

    it is the next big hyped bubble by NCSoft... We know it already ...

    4.5 M lied up Aion says Hi again.

    ... people will never learn really...
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-08-15 at 07:40 AM.

  17. #217
    I've not heard of game engine problems yet, would you care to share your experience? I have heard of extreme lag, possibly in certain regions of the world and that is indeed worrying.

  18. #218
    well, I like GW2 too, but there's a wise saying -" don't judge the book but it's cover"
    1 hour spent in mmo is nothing, it's like saying the movie is great after seeing 15 sec teaser with best scenes in it.
    Someone gave a good example of it - Age of Conan, everybody loved the tutorial island, voice overs, nice story, and felt cheated after lvl 20.
    From my knowledge we didnt see game beyond lvl 35, and thats the important part, who knows what it is, maybe it's crap, so better have a cool head, don't hype game too much and praise it to the gods, like it is second coming of jesus.
    Last edited by nemro82; 2012-08-15 at 09:12 AM.
    my PSN ID - Kobold_Rider

  19. #219
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,030
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    well, I like GW2 too, but there's a wise saying -" don't judge the book but it's cover"
    1 hour spent in mmo is nothing
    Dude. With all BWEs and stress tests combined, some people have had a total of 241 hours in GW2. We're not judging it by it's cover.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  20. #220
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Dude. With all BWEs and stress tests combined, some people have had a total of 241 hours in GW2. We're not judging it by it's cover.
    "dude" I'm clearly refering to OP here. Why you always think people are talking to you in this thread, some ego problems?
    my PSN ID - Kobold_Rider

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •