Page 1 of 12
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    ArenaNet has made something special!

    I decided to make a new thread based upon my first impressions of this game, so you will see this post here and also in my "Should I have high hopes?" threa.

    So after playing the 1 hour stress test today I must say...I am completely blown away by this game. This is coming from an avid WoW player from back in the day.

    From the hour that I played (I rushed through a lot of stuff) this game is absolutely INCREDIBLE! The combat, the classes, the character customization, the 2 zones I experienced (norn and charr starting zone)...THe dynamic events, the sounds, the music, the Dynamic Events.

    This game has really blown me out of the water with ONLY1 hour played!! Arenanet has done an AWESOME job, I can't even type my emotions for how excited I am about this game!

    I now believe ArenaNet has truly made something special. I really think this game is going to take off and be a great success.

    Even my brother who still plays WoW and was on the fence of getting MoP, he came over today and watched the 1 hour I was able to play, and he was in complete awe...

    I am very confident in ArenaNets work and what they have done!

  2. #2
    I'm surprised, I can't say my first hour was very good back in BWE1 (Too zergy, confusion, wtf is going on ?)
    But at least it was good enough so that I persevered and game was total awesome once I was comfortable playing it. Maybe the fact that they added more tutorials and/or smoothed out newbie areas made this problem go away for new players like you

  3. #3
    The dynamic events alone make this worth playing, in my opinion. And the personalized story. And the scope (if I hadn't been walking around with my map open, I would have gotten lost in the city. This game is HUGE!). And the exploration. And I only played in the last 2 stress tests. Can't wait til I get to play for real.

  4. #4
    The game is awesome. I have a feeling it will take some getting used to simply because of how different it is from WoW, But I'm really looking foward to it's release.

  5. #5
    I must admit I'm looking forward to exploring the new areas and the amazing scenery, like back in early wow days when I got a lvl 55 to show me around in western plaguelands....tears of joy inc!

  6. #6
    Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    2,757
    The approach towards mobs and DE's when it comes to "tagging" mobs and just how the entire community can interact makes GW2 worth it. I think that if other MMO's out there takes ANYTHING from GW2, it should be this "no more mob tagging" thing anymore.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharjax View Post
    I decided to make a new thread based upon my first impressions of this game, so you will see this post here and also in my "Should I have high hopes?" threa.

    So after playing the 1 hour stress test today I must say...I am completely blown away by this game. This is coming from an avid WoW player from back in the day.

    From the hour that I played (I rushed through a lot of stuff) this game is absolutely INCREDIBLE! The combat, the classes, the character customization, the 2 zones I experienced (norn and charr starting zone)...THe dynamic events, the sounds, the music, the Dynamic Events.

    This game has really blown me out of the water with ONLY1 hour played!! Arenanet has done an AWESOME job, I can't even type my emotions for how excited I am about this game!

    I now believe ArenaNet has truly made something special. I really think this game is going to take off and be a great success.

    Even my brother who still plays WoW and was on the fence of getting MoP, he came over today and watched the 1 hour I was able to play, and he was in complete awe...

    I am very confident in ArenaNets work and what they have done!

    These were my exact thoughts after playing, and still are after 3 stress test and the final BWE. The only thing I'm torn on is which Prof to roll :O

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by rezoacken View Post
    I'm surprised, I can't say my first hour was very good back in BWE1 (Too zergy, confusion, wtf is going on ?)
    Well to be fair there were not only a few major issues they needed to work out but I think we also caught them with their pants down on how popular the prepurchase was going to be. Things got alot better after that first one and even after the wipe for BWE3 the area's were nowhere near as overcrowded and zergy as BWE1. Might have had to do with 2 new areas but the mess didnt seem as bad.

    As to my own feelings on the game. Even in a beta enviroment I love the way it plays. I keep telling myself I'm not going to binge on GW2 next time a beta comes up. I'm not going to spend every wakeing hour that the servers are up playing. So far my willpower to do that has failed me every damn time On the bright side I think I've finally settled on warrior for my main with elementalist as my first alt.

    Who is John Galt?

  9. #9
    Bloodsail Admiral MKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Heavenly, Tahoe, California/Nevada
    Posts
    1,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Siq1ne View Post
    These were my exact thoughts after playing, and still are after 3 stress test and the final BWE. The only thing I'm torn on is which Prof to roll :O
    That's how i feel too, but that's a good thing, that means they made each profession really genuine and you don't know what to choose.

  10. #10
    I absolutely love GW2 after playing the BWE:s etc. What made me chuckle a bit about this thread however is a thread I read on another MMO fourm. The player in question there had played for one hour in the last BWE and based his Very negative review on that hour of playing and got absolutely shredded for just playing an hour.

    Anyway OP glad you found the game to your liking, playing more will hopefully get you even more hooked.

  11. #11
    Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Divinity's Reach
    Posts
    2,889
    Even if it doesn't replace wow for you it's still well worth getting since it's only 60 bucks. You can pick it up or leave it whenever you feel like it because there is no gear treadmill for you to fall behind on, and no monthly fee forcing you to log on to get your moneys worth. It's wonderful!

  12. #12
    Legendary! Digglett's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    FC World
    Posts
    6,395
    I agree, I've never felt so immersed and attached to an MMO. The closest I can think of is Vanilla/BC in WoW, even then GW2 I'm enjoying much much more. Can't wait for release.


  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharjax View Post
    I decided to make a new thread based upon my first impressions of this game, so you will see this post here and also in my "Should I have high hopes?" threa.

    So after playing the 1 hour stress test today I must say...I am completely blown away by this game. This is coming from an avid WoW player from back in the day.

    From the hour that I played (I rushed through a lot of stuff) this game is absolutely INCREDIBLE! The combat, the classes, the character customization, the 2 zones I experienced (norn and charr starting zone)...THe dynamic events, the sounds, the music, the Dynamic Events.

    This game has really blown me out of the water with ONLY1 hour played!! Arenanet has done an AWESOME job, I can't even type my emotions for how excited I am about this game!

    I now believe ArenaNet has truly made something special. I really think this game is going to take off and be a great success.

    Even my brother who still plays WoW and was on the fence of getting MoP, he came over today and watched the 1 hour I was able to play, and he was in complete awe...

    I am very confident in ArenaNets work and what they have done!
    I'm surprise that you being a avid WoW player, that you actually gave gw2 a try with a open mined and not just the topical [I log in then I log out , Game = FAIL] I'm saying that because I find it hard for many wow player to break free from the wow indoctrination.

  14. #14
    I feel exactly as OP, having played beta weekend 3 and the stress tests the last couple of days. The game feels very "fresh"

  15. #15
    I started a new character just for this test and consider it is now the 9th or 10th time that I have done the early human zone and I wasn't bored with it that is pretty amazing.

  16. #16
    it's great
    GPU: Asus DCII 780 @ 1228 / 6700 CPU: i2500k @ 4,7 Ghz Motherboard: P8Z68-VPRO PSU: Corsair TX 850W
    CPU-Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Ram: Corsair 2x 4gb = 8gb CL9 1600mhz

    Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27inch 2560x1440 Mouse: QPAD 5K Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 Headset: QPAD QH-90 SSD: Intel 520, 240gb

  17. #17
    My first hour of game play can really only be described as confusing. I hadn't played a tab target MMORPG in a while, so that didn't help, but I was having trouble following the mechanics of the combat, and the auto-swinging.

  18. #18
    Remember your first reaction to wow..?

    Playing a new good game is of course going to be fun in the first hours of gameplay... Come back and say it's an amazing game after ten years (if it'll even be around for that long) as that is how long WoW has been around for.

    I doubt even Blizzard will be able to make a better game once WoW has reached its end.

  19. #19
    Legendary! Digglett's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    FC World
    Posts
    6,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtinction View Post
    Remember your first reaction to wow..?

    Playing a new good game is of course going to be fun in the first hours of gameplay... Come back and say it's an amazing game after ten years (if it'll even be around for that long) as that is how long WoW has been around for.

    I doubt even Blizzard will be able to make a better game once WoW has reached its end.
    But, WoW isn't even an amazing game anymore. It's not even mediocre, or decent, it's just bad. Of course, my opinion. Huge drop in subs are pretty telling too.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2012-08-13 at 12:42 AM.


  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtinction View Post
    Remember your first reaction to wow..?
    "now that's one slow and clunky combat" was mine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •