Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Well.. there isn't a sub fee so... even if you do quit it's so easy to go back without commitment.
    Doesn't matter if there is a sub fee, or not.

    Diablo 3 was B2P, and it seems 1.1 million cancelled subs.

  2. #42
    The Lightbringer Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Eternal Alchemy
    Posts
    3,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharjax View Post
    I decided to make a new thread based upon my first impressions of this game, so you will see this post here and also in my "Should I have high hopes?" threa.

    So after playing the 1 hour stress test today I must say...I am completely blown away by this game. This is coming from an avid WoW player from back in the day.

    From the hour that I played (I rushed through a lot of stuff) this game is absolutely INCREDIBLE! The combat, the classes, the character customization, the 2 zones I experienced (norn and charr starting zone)...THe dynamic events, the sounds, the music, the Dynamic Events.

    This game has really blown me out of the water with ONLY1 hour played!! Arenanet has done an AWESOME job, I can't even type my emotions for how excited I am about this game!

    I now believe ArenaNet has truly made something special. I really think this game is going to take off and be a great success.

    Even my brother who still plays WoW and was on the fence of getting MoP, he came over today and watched the 1 hour I was able to play, and he was in complete awe...

    I am very confident in ArenaNets work and what they have done!
    GW2 Effect strikes again!
    Morpheus: Do you believe that my being stronger or faster has anything to do with my muscles in this place? Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

  3. #43
    I think i fell in love with GW2 the moment i saw it, i remeber hearing myself thinking: "Whoa, finally! A fantasy MMO that is nor asian or just another WoW clone!"
    And when i first got the chance to try it at BWE1, i was instantly hooked, the combat feels fluid and responsive and the professions design allow for such a degree of customization that i find myself able to spend hours tinkering with different builds, all for the same character.

    Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    "now that's one slow and clunky combat" was mine.
    QFT. When i first tried wow I had been playing LineageII for 2 years, and even if it was a grindfest, combat was faster and had much more impact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    People playing games for fun, the BASTARDS!

  4. #44
    I sort of envy you- my first day of play was disappointing, back in BWE1. Then I started to realize that I was trying to play the game like WoW, which doesn't work- I was missing everything that makes the game great. After that I slowed down, and boy am I glad I did- after years of playing WoW, I can't go back. ArenaNet has created a beautiful world, full of surprises and excitement. I tried to play the MoP beta to kill time while I wait for the 25th, and just turned it off after an hour- I really tried to enjoy it, but it just isn't there anymore. It's like the ex you still find attractive, but wouldn't want to sleep with anymore

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanibull View Post
    I sort of envy you- my first day of play was disappointing, back in BWE1. Then I started to realize that I was trying to play the game like WoW, which doesn't work- I was missing everything that makes the game great. After that I slowed down, and boy am I glad I did- after years of playing WoW, I can't go back. ArenaNet has created a beautiful world, full of surprises and excitement. I tried to play the MoP beta to kill time while I wait for the 25th, and just turned it off after an hour- I really tried to enjoy it, but it just isn't there anymore. It's like the ex you still find attractive, but wouldn't want to sleep with anymore
    Oh man that right there is funny! lol...

  6. #46
    Dreadlord Turbotef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    859
    Quote Originally Posted by Zem View Post
    I'm surprise that you being a avid WoW player, that you actually gave gw2 a try with a open mined and not just the topical [I log in then I log out , Game = FAIL] I'm saying that because I find it hard for many wow player to break free from the wow indoctrination.
    I think you don't give a lot of players proper credit. More people try new things out then you probably realize and yes it is easy saying WoW was better than all of the other MMOs released from 2004-2011 cause it was. Guild Wars 2 is the first MMO in nearly 8 years that gives me that feeling of playing WoW for the first time did. Rift was close but I just find it to be a clunkier version of WoW but still a cut above the rest.

    If GW2 isn't a success (and there is no indication that it be anything but!), then this whole genre will go to shit even more I say.

    That being said, MoP isn't a slouch either, and it will be the best and most innovative expansion WoW will have to date IMO. Just needs new character models still......
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nipsoft/simple
    TERA - Lolapetto (Reaper lvl 60) - Akress (Berserker lvl 60, retired)
    FF14 - Nakaress Solatte (lvl 30 Monk, lvl 35 Warrior)
    GW2 - Dilla Donia (lvl 80 Warrior)

  7. #47
    It'd probably be good if I got more than 20 frames per second. My system is way overqualified to run this game, and yet GW2 (and only GW2) runs like crap. I'm entertaining the idea of a refund. People always say "it's just beta, it will be better at release." Release is rarely different than late beta. I can't think of a single game where it was.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    Am I the only one who really doesn't like the leveling in this game? Like, meh.

    You do those Public Quests Warhammer style and ... they aren't enough. I found myself several times being at least 3 levels below the one recommended for my personal story or the next PQ. The only option? Run around aimlessly, hoping for some NPC to tell you about an event you already did 4 times to complete it again to hopefully gain a level.

    Just glad I can insta-pop 80 and PvP right away. :|
    That's exactly how i felt at first, but I found that it wasn't the game- it was the habit of allowing myself to be led around by the nose in the other games I'd played. If you run from heart to heart, like you would quest hubs in WoW, you will never have enough experience. The hearts were only put into the game to guide you to the dynamic events, and dynamic events can lead to quite long chains, if you stick around for a minute after one is done.

    Enigmius1 does a great job of illustrating this here:



    I wish i had seen this before the first time I played.

  9. #49
    Mechagnome Fitzgerald77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtinction View Post
    Remember your first reaction to wow..?

    Playing a new good game is of course going to be fun in the first hours of gameplay... Come back and say it's an amazing game after ten years (if it'll even be around for that long) as that is how long WoW has been around for.

    I doubt even Blizzard will be able to make a better game once WoW has reached its end.
    ...WoW will be 8 years old come November 23. In ten years time Guild Wars 3 will probably be out already.

    Also, I'm willing to bet that project Titan will blow WoW completely out of the water.

    Anyhoo, can't wait for this shit to drop already, every other game that I currently own feels like total shit compared to GW2
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    and my magic 8 ball says that 2 months after that those people will be out of content in MOP and be back for something to do because there is no sub fee. History of recent MMO launch history gives a hint of truth to your statement, wow's patch/expansion history lends some to mine. speculation on the success of any game that hasn't launched yet is at best a crapshoot colored by your own perceptions and bias. The game is good on its own merits. Beyond that I really couldnt care less if it topples wow or it does not. Actually that's not true I don't want GW2 to topple wow, killing wow wont do anything good for MMO's it will just take away from it. Competition is the best thing that could happen for any game if this type because it drives the dev's to work harder to attract players. I'd rather have 2, 5, even 10+ strong MMO's out there as they would all be better games in the long run than a single monolithic giant.
    I would like more competition too, but in todays standards i dont expect the game to last long. Why? No subscription fee hence updates/patches are not going to be top quality.

    Another reason would simply be that i find the animations and pvp very clunky. They arnt smooth at all.

    And to top it off, 1 month after release will be the release of MoP.

  11. #51
    The Lightbringer Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Eternal Alchemy
    Posts
    3,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Papapwn View Post
    I would like more competition too, but in todays standards i dont expect the game to last long. Why? No subscription fee hence updates/patches are not going to be top quality.

    Another reason would simply be that i find the animations and pvp very clunky. They arnt smooth at all.

    And to top it off, 1 month after release will be the release of MoP.
    Profit =/= Content -Need look no further than this last 2 years to see that. Just because a company is greedy and triple dipping with a cash shop, box cost AND a sub fee only means they are making more $, not using those $ to make content.

    Animations are amazing. You're just bashing.

    Who cares. Same old game is old.
    Last edited by Karizee; 2012-08-13 at 03:50 AM.
    Morpheus: Do you believe that my being stronger or faster has anything to do with my muscles in this place? Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

  12. #52
    So pumped. I'll still play this AND wow (WHATAZMZOMWAHAWALDKWJA!?!??) but i'm definitely looking forward to GW2 more than MoP. I wish i could have gotten in on the BWE's but i didn't preorder it in time due to lack of money Thank you internet for keeping me up to date on everything though haha

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Papapwn View Post
    I would like more competition too, but in todays standards i dont expect the game to last long. Why? No subscription fee hence updates/patches are not going to be top quality.

    Another reason would simply be that i find the animations and pvp very clunky. They arnt smooth at all.

    And to top it off, 1 month after release will be the release of MoP.
    1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns-IIn-DG-c
    2) Completely subjective
    3) So?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Papapwn View Post
    I would like more competition too, but in todays standards i dont expect the game to last long. Why? No subscription fee hence updates/patches are not going to be top quality.

    Another reason would simply be that i find the animations and pvp very clunky. They arnt smooth at all.

    And to top it off, 1 month after release will be the release of MoP.
    You make it seem like subscription fees are required for constant patches and game updates. It didn't stop Guild Wars 1 from releasing numerous expansions/content and NCSoft/Arenanet is no small indie developer. Guild Wars 2 has the financial backing of a publicly traded company much like Activision/Blizzard is a publicly traded company.

    The whole $15 a month, micro-transactions, in the end they're all just sources of revenue. IMO play your cards right and micro-transactions could be the new thing in many upcoming MMO's but I'll leave that discussion for another time. If a monthly subscription is absolutely mandatory in MMO's then we'd see something out of WoW instead of 9-10 months of nothing but DS. But hey, at least they threw in Ruby Sanctum last year with ICC for 10+ months.

    GW2 isn't even out yet and WoW is already facing some serious challenges of its own.

    Edit: Forgot about the obligatory link of people wondering why GW2 has no subscription. http://i47.tinypic.com/av26nr.jpg Amazing that even server upkeep doesn't cost a whole lot and, the sales of the game alone can cover that cost for a long time.
    Last edited by daltron; 2012-08-13 at 03:52 AM.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Papapwn View Post
    I would like more competition too, but in todays standards i dont expect the game to last long. Why? No subscription fee hence updates/patches are not going to be top quality.

    Another reason would simply be that i find the animations and pvp very clunky. They arnt smooth at all.

    And to top it off, 1 month after release will be the release of MoP.
    The only time I've actually seen a $15 sub fee get me the amount of content I consider that to be worth is in RIFT. WoW doesn't put out content at a rate that justifies the sub fee. I am really liking MoP and all, but I don't think they will put out content fast enough for me to keep a 100% active sub.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Papapwn View Post
    I would like more competition too, but in todays standards i dont expect the game to last long. Why? No subscription fee hence updates/patches are not going to be top quality.
    Guild Wars 1 launched 5 months after WoW, with the same business model as GW2, is still around, and has had plenty of high quality patch's and updates, which, by the way, don't require them to take their servers down once a week. They have several re-balance patch's a year, and have released the entire Guild Wars Beyond campaign free of charge. Just because Blizzard charges $180 a year for something, doesn't mean other companies can't include it with their game, it just means that maybe Blizzard is overcharging you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Papapwn View Post
    Another reason would simply be that i find the animations and pvp very clunky. They arnt smooth at all.
    I don't know where you are seeing clunky animations or pvp- the first bwe for me was a bit like that, but as of bwe2, the game is smooth like butter on my system, which was mid-line at best in 2007. In fact, I lag out in WoW raids, but not in GW2 WvW. As for the pvp, since there are no cast bars, you get your cues from your enemies animations, so casts are very much tied to those animations. You move and dodge constantly, and are punished for standing still while casting- hardly clunky in my opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Papapwn View Post
    And to top it off, 1 month after release will be the release of MoP.
    Yeah, some people will migrate back to WoW- and a lot of them will realize what an antique it is and go right back to GW2. Most GW2 fans don't expect GW2 to kill WoW, even if some of us think it should, but it's just as silly to think MoP will kill GW2. Sorry, it won't.

  17. #57
    Yep! I have been waiting for this game since before I realized it lol

  18. #58
    Mechagnome Fitzgerald77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    749
    I'm so fucking sick and tired of people using the "look at how much every other MMO that came out failed horribly" line. The reason why so many MMO's that came out and failed/didn't do well (Rift, Aion, Warhammer, SW:TOR ETC) Is because all of those games basically copied WoW and tried to better than it by slapping on a few gimmicks. GW2 however, is not a "WoW clone" and they don't try to be. Why you ask? In GW2 you are not racing through the content to start playing the good part of the game (heroics, raids, arena, RBG's etc.) GW2 also does not have a gear treadmill, which means that the game does not revolve people needing to acquire gear in order to take part in certain content and most importantly it means skill and brains is far more important.

    I have read countless GW2 threads with idiots saying GW2 will fail because it is some sort of "WoW clone" It just goes to show how many people have actually done their homework and researched the game to see what it is really all about before commenting on it...

    Also, LOL @ the people saying the game will suck because there is no subscription fee. Yeah! I heard that paying for something every single month automatically makes it good quality..........



    ---------- Post added 2012-08-12 at 10:28 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Dodrin View Post
    The only time I've actually seen a $15 sub fee get me the amount of content I consider that to be worth is in RIFT. WoW doesn't put out content at a rate that justifies the sub fee. I am really liking MoP and all, but I don't think they will put out content fast enough for me to keep a 100% active sub.
    They won't. I bet you my left nut that they will once again have an entire patch with no new raiding tier. Instead they will just release a few 5 man dungeons followed by some class buffs/nerfs. Meanwhile, all of the people that PVE will be holding their dicks for another 4-5 months for new content.... HOW EXCITING!!!
    Last edited by Fitzgerald77; 2012-08-13 at 04:30 AM.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

  19. #59
    Stood in the Fire Rassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Alberta,Canada
    Posts
    469
    Well the only question I still have is what prof to play first! After playing Ahem* 4 BWE I'm not sure if I'll be able to play another MMO again espically once you hear how legnedaries are done in this GAME! August 25th can't come sooner!

  20. #60
    the game is awesome. I love it. Ive only been in two stress test but it has shown me alot. I have to agree with the OP The game has blown me away to. as a hardcore wow player myself , this game took me by big surprise.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •