Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Jumping puzzles and size

While playing the recent BWE and stress tests, I got to wondering: how much harder are jumping puzzles for Norn and Char?

After I thought about this, I tried a little experiment. I took my Asura, and then subsequently, my Norn to a jumping puzzle. Now, I don't know if this is just a skill issue with me, but I found that the jumping puzzles I did were slightly harder on my Norn than my Asura. I imagine it's primarily a depth perception thing, rather than an actual game issue.

But I'm also curious, what do you all think?
    Last edited by theredviola; 2012-08-12 at 10:43 PM.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    While playing the recent BWE and stress tests, I got to wondering: how much harder are jumping puzzles for Norn and Char?

After I thought about this, I tried a little experiment. I took my Asura, and then subsequently, my Norn to a jumping puzzle. Now, I don't know if this is just a skill issue with me, but I found that the jumping puzzles I did were slightly harder on my Norn than my Asura. I imagine it's primarily a depth perception thing, rather than an actual game issue.

But I'm also curious, what do you all think?
    As far as I am aware, all character boxes are the same actual size... That being said, the only issue I can think of is, the norn take up more screen real estate overall. The problem may also be a psychological one; since the Norn looks bigger, you immediately regard certain things, like ceilings etc, differently then you do on an Asura. On the flip side, it's possible you may try to jump a corner with an Asura and hit the ceiling because the hit box is the same as all the other races.

Yeah, every hitbox is the same (http://www.guildwars2junkies.com/tag/hitbox/) so it's probably just perception. It's also weird on a Charr when they drop on all fours, it's probably just a matter of getting used to it.

I found jump puzzles easier on my norn than I did on my sylvari.

I suspect a lot of it has to do with perception - the gap doesn't seem as big for a norn, and even though all characters jump the same distance, it just looks so much farther for a shorter character.

Perception issue, though for some puzzles where its very close quarters you can only see the back of your norns head(Like the spiral well part in the Eternal BG puzzle).

This is kind of scaring me from making my main a norn.

It's just perception. Skelington had a harder time on his Charr than he did his Asura, but he was pretty inexperienced at the time he was using his Charr. It shouldn't be much of an issue once you get used to character size.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    This is kind of scaring me from making my main a norn.
    Yeah, that's why I wanted to test it out and then come and ask the GW2 community here too. I LOVE anything Scandinavian-themed (I may be American, but I have a great respect for my Scandinavian roots), so I want to play a Norn
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Would be nice if they implemented the first person view again, wouldn't be so bad in tight spaces on a large character.

I only found the char even remotely difficult. Humans and smaller had a slight edge over norn in tight areas due to camera issues but I never had any more difficulty on the 4 non furred races for crossing gaps. For char it was more a perception issue. With the other races its easy to tell where the point of you being about to fall is. Once the center of your characters hit box goes over the edge you are going to fall off if you havent started your jump. its very easy to tell where the center of the box is, right between their feet. With the char because of their hunched stance that point is slightly forward of their feet and it gets even more extream when they run on all 4's makeing it much harder to get used to the correct timeing for jumps.

Who is John Galt?

The hitbox cylinders on the x axis seem to all be the same but larger characters seem to have a different y axis size. If you're a very large norn you might have some difficulty doing puzzles that require you to jump up/around where you can potentially hit your head on terrain. Not impossible but require a perfect reaction time..

We tested this with multiple players/races and all agree'd it felt most difficult on the largest norn, a good example of this is the section with the beasts that can be released in the dark room puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by treasurebandit View Post
    The hitbox cylinders on the x axis seem to all be the same but larger characters seem to have a different y axis size. If you're a very large norn you might have some difficulty doing puzzles that require you to jump up/around where you can potentially hit your head on terrain. Not impossible but require a perfect reaction time..

We tested this with multiple players/races and all agree'd it felt most difficult on the largest norn, a good example of this is the section with the beasts that can be released in the dark room puzzle.
    I tried that and didnt find this to be the case myself. Particuarly that room your speaking of. There are a few jumps up that path where if you do them wrong you hit your head and fall down. On my norn I hit my head and fell. on my asura I just bounced off thin air and fell in the same spot. My sylvari and human felt prety much the same going through there Didnt try that room on my char as I gave up trying to navigate the puzzle much earlier than that after a dozens of falls on jumps I almost never missed on the other races.

Who is John Galt?

Having played extensively, a Norn for the first 2 BWE's and an Asura for the 3rd BWE... The hit boxes always felt the same when it came to jumps/ceilings etc. The y-axis was the same, as far as I could tell, across both races (hence my earlier comment). However, perception is a great and wondrous thing. There were times when, while attempting a puzzle on my Asura, I would just fall down mid jump. At first I figured it was some fault of mine (bad jump timing, me letting go of a mouse button and discontinuing my forward movement, etc), but after some thought (and playing with a few friends who went Human on BWE3); If you attempt to cut a corner with a low ceiling closer than a Norn could just based on height, you'll find that you also miss the jump and end up falling (often to your/my/our death).

All in all, it's perception: AND, after you get used to a races running/jumping in regards to where the actual hitbox is (probably a couple days, especially for the Charr), I suspect you find it becomes much easier to do such tings.

some puzzles are RIDICULOUSLY long

Charr are going to be hard to do it on because of the fact they get down on all fours when they run. It's not anything mechanical that changes, like they have the same hitbox and can hit jumps the same as anyone else, it's just the visual cues are going to be harder to discern, like learning the proper time to jump is going to be tough to discern.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Timatsu View Post
    some puzzles are RIDICULOUSLY long
    I wasn't referring to size as in length, rather the size of the players.

Deleted
    I found it hard to estimate jumps on my Norn, harder than on my Charr. Norn also has a tendency to body block the camera