Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    When to use the 50% exp bonus quests

    Ok a lot of people have been talking about when to use it etc and i had been thinking of a way to work this out for when it would be the best time, now that the race is only 80-90 it reduces your options quite a bit, the way i see it you can do as follows:

    Use all 8 hours for 80-85
    Use all 8 hours for 85-90
    Or split them between the two

    Now i haven't leveled to 90 on the beta (got half way and stopped) but people were saying it was stupidly short and that you could do it in 10 hours or so? and as expected they increased the exp needed by 55% which in theory would mean it'll take you around 15- 16 hours, as i said i haven't done much leveling on the beta so don't know how accurate this is but it doesn't make much difference, you can take the time to level in this post as examples..

    Now that the 82-85 has been reduced by quite a bit this makes leveling to 85 a lot quickier, lets say you can ding 85 in 8-10 hours

    Thats 8-10 hours for 85 and 15-16 hours till 90

    As long as the leveling from 85 - 90 is longer than the 80-85 i see it more efficient to use the 50% extra bonus for the 85-90 stretch due to you gaining a lot more exp and getting more benefit out of the exp bonus, also as it is the mop leveling zones flow together quite well so there isn't a lot of zone switching where as if your using it at the 80-85 stretch then you could waste some of the buff

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Mechagnome Drifted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Finland, Lappeenranta
    Posts
    638
    There's way too many things to consider if you start theorycrafting when's the best time to use them. I presume you are going to use RAF and grant levels to get 80 asap as you don't mention pre 80 levels. I'm going to simply start burning them instantly at lvl 81. I don't personally see any point saving them. Imo you gain more benefits in Cata zones as they are going to be pretty empty and you should know them inside and outside. Plus you kill mobs pretty fast if you put some effort to twink weapons.

    On side note that 8-10 hours sounds rather slow. At release I did 80-85 in about 16 hours or so. That's with only first xp guild perk which is 5% more xp. Now they are going to reduce 82-84 bu 33% and 84-85 by 50%. That alone should bring the time to around 10h. Then you count another 5% xp from second Fast Track perk, 15% from heirlooms (cloak and head) and 50% from monk class quests. Totaling at 70% more xp compared what I had at release of Cata. Then all the small things like actually knowing the quests thoroughly. Oh and the small fact you start 1% or less away from lvl 81. Fastest soloers should be able to push 85 in 5h or even less. Those who got friendly guildies boosting few instances for quests will be able to do it even less.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYFioGqC2qQ - The true nature of finnish people

  3. #3
    Imho you should use the quests for MoP. In theory you have the biggest gain of +50% XP in areas with already high xp/h. Assuming that every MoP-zone has higher xp/h-ratio than any cata-zone, you should use them in MoP.

    Or do it like I plan on doing it: Raf to 80 -> First Quest + Daily -> Level to 85 -> Remaining Quests + Daily
    This only works if the daily quest is reset like all the other dailies at 3:00 .
    Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    Bro do you even Uplift? ^_^

  4. #4
    Could anybody enlighten me about +50% exp - how you get it / how long does it last/ how many times you can get it ?

  5. #5
    I might have missed something...but whats the 50% bonus XP you are talking about?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd_rage View Post
    I might have missed something...but whats the 50% bonus XP you are talking about?
    i believe its a monk daily quest that grants you 50% extra exp from mobs/quests for an hour, persists through death. you get the quests once you get the ability to teleport to the monk temple (lvl20)

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Edds View Post
    i believe its a monk daily quest that grants you 50% extra exp from mobs/quests for an hour, persists through death. you get the quests once you get the ability to teleport to the monk temple (lvl20)
    Once you reach lvl 20 you get a quest for each 10 levels you make. This quest takes place in the main temple of the monks. You have to defeat on master and receive in return a blessing of 50% XP for 1 hour (or 3k mastery on lvl 90). Once a day you are able to get an extra hour of +50% XP via a daily quest that activates after the first quest.
    Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    Bro do you even Uplift? ^_^

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Natu View Post
    Once you reach lvl 20 you get a quest for each 10 levels you make. This quest takes place in the main temple of the monks. You have to defeat on master and receive in return a blessing of 50% XP for 1 hour (or 3k mastery on lvl 90). Once a day you are able to get an extra hour of +50% XP via a daily quest that activates after the first quest.
    Thanks a lot for explanation. I guess that will help a bit with monk leveling.

  9. #9
    Simple answer is that it doesn't matter. Consider simple example:

    Level A is 3m xp long and you get 1m xp/hour normally. It takes 3 hours normally. If you pop quests it takes 2 hours at 1.5m xp/hour instead
    Level B is 30m xp long and you get 10m xp/hour normally. It takes 3 hours normally. If you pop quests it takes 2 hours at 15m xp/hour instead

    So the fact that you save more experience if you use it later is a total red herring, since you don't save more time. It doesn't matter even if the later zone also takes longer, each quest saves you 30min levelling time whenever you use it if you assume constant xp/hour throughout any given level.

    The only way you can get any 'extra' advantage is by using it so that you are able to completely skip some area which is unusually slow compared to the previous area. So for example if the first bit of Deepholm goes at 2.5m xp/hour, then there is a slow bit of Deepholm which goes at only 2m xp/hour, before Uldum which goes at 3m xp/hour, you should certainly use the quest to skip the slow bit entirely or as much as possible (since with the quest you might ding 83 without it and thus not need it at all). That is only an example (although I hate deepholm anyway).

    My plan is to simply use the level 20 quest and daily immediately (in fact ding 81 from discovering kun'lai summit), and then top up just before the buff ends with another two quests. That way you get the 50% xp bonus from the quest *on the next 50% xp quest itself*, instead of waiting for it to run out and not getting it.

  10. #10
    Keyboard Turner
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7
    I believe that I'm going to burn them of in the cata content since that's where you will face less downtime. Since in the new content you will struggle with ganks and fighting over mob-tagging.
    Last edited by Nimber; 2012-08-13 at 02:34 PM.

  11. #11
    I was planning on using them ASAP, especially since you can do your daily before they will be resetting so you can do it twice. I was already in the same mindset as Freyalise, where 50% bonus should really be looked at how much time you can save, not how much exp you will net as it all relative to your level anyway.

    I was planning on using them in Cata because I'm more familiar with the quests, and would likely benefit from them more there. Add on the fact that the Cata zones are liekly to be less populated that the MoP zones, and I think that's the best place to use them.

  12. #12
    Stood in the Fire Yorgl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    362
    As I'm level granting to level 80, probably for the 80-85 leveling.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyalise View Post
    Simple answer is that it doesn't matter. Consider simple example:

    Level A is 3m xp long and you get 1m xp/hour normally. It takes 3 hours normally. If you pop quests it takes 2 hours at 1.5m xp/hour instead
    Level B is 30m xp long and you get 10m xp/hour normally. It takes 3 hours normally. If you pop quests it takes 2 hours at 15m xp/hour instead

    So the fact that you save more experience if you use it later is a total red herring, since you don't save more time. It doesn't matter even if the later zone also takes longer, each quest saves you 30min levelling time whenever you use it if you assume constant xp/hour throughout any given level.

    The only way you can get any 'extra' advantage is by using it so that you are able to completely skip some area which is unusually slow compared to the previous area. So for example if the first bit of Deepholm goes at 2.5m xp/hour, then there is a slow bit of Deepholm which goes at only 2m xp/hour, before Uldum which goes at 3m xp/hour, you should certainly use the quest to skip the slow bit entirely or as much as possible (since with the quest you might ding 83 without it and thus not need it at all). That is only an example (although I hate deepholm anyway).

    My plan is to simply use the level 20 quest and daily immediately (in fact ding 81 from discovering kun'lai summit), and then top up just before the buff ends with another two quests. That way you get the 50% xp bonus from the quest *on the next 50% xp quest itself*, instead of waiting for it to run out and not getting it.
    Ah i hadn't thought of it this way, also what other people have said about already knowing the quests routes and the last of people i will probs do as you are and use them for 80-85 also i should still have some +50% exp left over after the 80-85 zones seeing as i don't plan on spending 8 hours doing them

  14. #14
    I plan on using at least some of them in the 80-85 race because if you think about it, we've already done all that and most of the bugs are pretty much cleared up. I'm thinking some MoP quests will still be bugged, we are unfamiliar with the quests and the areas, it would me much more useful I think to use them when you know you can knock out X amount of quests per hour.

    ---------- Post added 2012-08-13 at 01:51 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by JRule View Post
    I was planning on using them ASAP, especially since you can do your daily before they will be resetting so you can do it twice. I was already in the same mindset as Freyalise, where 50% bonus should really be looked at how much time you can save, not how much exp you will net as it all relative to your level anyway.

    I was planning on using them in Cata because I'm more familiar with the quests, and would likely benefit from them more there. Add on the fact that the Cata zones are liekly to be less populated that the MoP zones, and I think that's the best place to use them.
    didn't see this before I posted. I completely agree with JRule.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyalise View Post
    Simple answer is that it doesn't matter. Consider simple example:

    Level A is 3m xp long and you get 1m xp/hour normally. It takes 3 hours normally. If you pop quests it takes 2 hours at 1.5m xp/hour instead
    Level B is 30m xp long and you get 10m xp/hour normally. It takes 3 hours normally. If you pop quests it takes 2 hours at 15m xp/hour instead

    So the fact that you save more experience if you use it later is a total red herring, since you don't save more time. It doesn't matter even if the later zone also takes longer, each quest saves you 30min levelling time whenever you use it if you assume constant xp/hour throughout any given level.

    The only way you can get any 'extra' advantage is by using it so that you are able to completely skip some area which is unusually slow compared to the previous area. So for example if the first bit of Deepholm goes at 2.5m xp/hour, then there is a slow bit of Deepholm which goes at only 2m xp/hour, before Uldum which goes at 3m xp/hour, you should certainly use the quest to skip the slow bit entirely or as much as possible (since with the quest you might ding 83 without it and thus not need it at all). That is only an example (although I hate deepholm anyway).

    My plan is to simply use the level 20 quest and daily immediately (in fact ding 81 from discovering kun'lai summit), and then top up just before the buff ends with another two quests. That way you get the 50% xp bonus from the quest *on the next 50% xp quest itself*, instead of waiting for it to run out and not getting it.
    I think the part that you don't understand is the XP per Hour and the total required to level doesn't scale consistently as you level up. Meaning you actually do get more benefit in the higher level zones because your XP per Hour is going up to compensate for the higher XP requirement.

    IE
    Level A is 3m xp long and you get 1m xp/hour normally. It takes 3 hours normally. If you pop quests it takes 2 hours at 1.5m xp/hour instead
    Level B is 60m xp long and you get 12m xp/hour normally. It takes 5 hours normally. If you pop quests it takes 3 hours 20 minutes at 18m xp/hour instead

    So with Level A you gained an hour off your total leveling experience while with Level B you gained 1 hour and 40 minutes. You can't use 2 levels with the same ratio of XP/HR to TotalXP. If this were true then it would take just as long to level from 1-2 as it would from 89-90.

    It's not about gaining levels its about the bonus you get reducing the overall time required to level from 1-90 (or 80-90 whatever you choose) the simple truth is you gain the most benefit at higher levels when you are gaining a higher XP per Hour. Using the bonus during low XP time frames might get you through that section you hate faster but it doesn't truly increase your overall time as much as it would using it in a higher zone; you just feel better because you got out of there faster.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by DesireKT View Post
    I think the part that you don't understand is the XP per Hour and the total required to level doesn't scale consistently as you level up. Meaning you actually do get more benefit in the higher level zones because your XP per Hour is going up to compensate for the higher XP requirement.

    IE
    Level A is 3m xp long and you get 1m xp/hour normally. It takes 3 hours normally. If you pop quests it takes 2 hours at 1.5m xp/hour instead
    Level B is 60m xp long and you get 12m xp/hour normally. It takes 5 hours normally. If you pop quests it takes 3 hours 20 minutes at 18m xp/hour instead

    So with Level A you gained an hour off your total leveling experience while with Level B you gained 1 hour and 40 minutes. You can't use 2 levels with the same ratio of XP/HR to TotalXP. If this were true then it would take just as long to level from 1-2 as it would from 89-90.

    It's not about gaining levels its about the bonus you get reducing the overall time required to level from 1-90 (or 80-90 whatever you choose) the simple truth is you gain the most benefit at higher levels when you are gaining a higher XP per Hour. Using the bonus during low XP time frames might get you through that section you hate faster but it doesn't truly increase your overall time as much as it would using it in a higher zone; you just feel better because you got out of there faster.
    Your numbers are correct, but you're looking at them the wrong way. Your scenario that you used proves Freyalise right.

    Let's take a closer look at your math -
    Level A = 3 hours normally, using the buff turns the level length into 2 hours. Thus, saving you 1 hour, or 30 minutes PER 1 hour of the buff.
    (1 hour saved/2 buffs used = 30 mins per buff)

    Level B = 5 hours normally, using the buff turns the level length into 3 hours and 20 minutes. Thus, saving you 1 hour and 40 minutes, or 30 minutes PER 1 hour of the buff.
    (1 hour 40 minutes saved / 3 hours 20 minutes buffs used = 30 minutes per buff)


    So again, it's all relative. Use the buff when you think you'll be doing the quests as fast as you can, and not having downtime.



    The math works out always to be 30 minutes per application of the buff. Think of the buff as a 50% time saver instead of a 50% exp increase.
    See: Level C = 12 hours normally, using the buff turns the level length into 8 hours. Thus, saving you 4 hours, or 30 minutes PER 1 hour of the buff.
    (4 hours saved / 8 hours buffs used = 30 minutes per buff)
    Last edited by JRule; 2012-08-13 at 07:18 PM.

  17. #17
    Will probably use one from 56-58, one from 66-68 and one from 76-80.
    Just to rush the end of content.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Hijiri View Post
    Will probably use one from 56-58, one from 66-68 and one from 76-80.
    Just to rush the end of content.
    On the same note, you could do them earlier during desirable zones and skip potentially undesirable zones. This is where you get the real improvements in leveling speed.

    I.E. in Northrend I like Howling Fjord, Dragonblight, and Sholazar Basin. I would use 1-2 buffs during those zones in an attempt to skip having to go into Storm Peaks to finish out Northrend.

    I.E. in Cataclysm I like Mount Hyjal, Deepholm, and Twilight Highlands. I HATEEEE Uldum and Vashj'ir, so I'll use them to skip those crappy zones.
    Last edited by JRule; 2012-08-13 at 07:34 PM.

  19. #19
    Mechagnome chaddd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    24 Hours of Lemons track
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurhlag View Post
    Use all 8 hours for 80-85
    Use all 8 hours for 85-90
    Or split them between the two
    So this part I don't quite get. It is a daily quest right? But is it a different quest for each 10 levels you get? So if I grant the levels to my monk, go there at level 80, I can then do the quest 8 times in a row and have a cash of 8 hours of +50% XP? Or are you not trying to do a speed level here and just go back once a day and have an hour each day (over 8 days if you are talking 8 hours) in the stated level ranges.

  20. #20
    You get one normal quest per 10 levels. And on top of that just one daily.
    Did the aforementioned miscalculation, too. So I think I'll use them quite early to get ahead of the mass of players.
    Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    Bro do you even Uplift? ^_^

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •