Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Monk healer difficulty compared to other healers?

I really only enjoy healers and only played healers during Cata. During Wrath it was tanks only but I just find healing more fun. Currently have 3 healers with gear from 385-400 ( resto druid, resto shaman and a disc priest). Just wondering if a monk healer is easier or harder than those. I didnt play any Beta becuase I had quit over the past 6 months so have no idea how the class is. If you had to rank them from easiest to hardest how would it go?

Deleted
    For me Resto Druid> Paladin > Disc Priest > Monk > Shaman

10+ Year Old Account
    Monk > Druid > Paladin > Priest > Shaman

15+ Year Old Account
    The main difficulty with Monk healing is getting used to the mechanics of the class:

1) Not having the standard "3-heal-spell" system,
    2) The generation and flow of Chi (think in terms of Holy Power)
    3) AoE healing very very dependant on setting up a HoT blanket well in advance of actual incoming damage
    4) when you should and should not melee (for maximum efficiency, you'll be switching between using melee abilities and spells midfight)
    5) proper placement and usage of the statue

Once you get your mind around the mechanics (and if you level from scratch rather than RaF'ing, and practise along the way) Monk healing feels very very RIGHT. Your main area of expertise is Triage healing, but there's never been a time when I felt the class was ill-suited to any situation.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    The main difficulty with Monk healing is getting used to the mechanics of the class:

3) AoE healing very very dependant on setting up a HoT blanket well in advance of actual incoming damage
    4) when you should and should not melee (for maximum efficiency, you'll be switching between using melee abilities and spells midfight)

Once you get your mind around the mechanics (and if you level from scratch rather than RaF'ing, and practise along the way) Monk healing feels very very RIGHT. Your main area of expertise is Triage healing, but there's never been a time when I felt the class was ill-suited to any situation.
    Agreed. It's going to matter a lot about knowing the fights and setting up your "blanket" beforehand. Monks don't react to unexpected spike damage very well.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde 25m 8/8H recruiting for MoP!
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/kardone

On the beta it really looks like you should use ReM on CD no matter what, tbh. It is not like the 1 cast per 8 sec gonna oom you, but if you get caught by AoE spike without full blanket - you are screwed.

Thats just BS. You dont need to lvl from sratch to learn the mechanics of the class. You can pratic all you want from 80-90 also, and prob even better. And the main pratic will come when you are 90. When spells scaling right, you have all abilities. Hell i didnt even lvl a singel lvl on my holy paladin as holy spec. It also got RaFed up to 60 at that time.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatuin View Post
    Hell i didnt even lvl a singel lvl on my holy paladin as holy spec. It also got RaFed up to 60 at that time.
    That's not really saying much. A blind monkey with mental retardation can level play a Holy Pally. I've got 6 healers all 85 (2 in basic 325ish, 4 in 372+ gear) and Holy Pally was ridiculously easy to play. I was watching Youtube videos and healing on my Holy Pally.

Yea and saying you learn the class better if you lvl from 1 is also just BS. a blind monkey with mental retardation can do that and still dont know anything about the class or how to heal

Quote Originally Posted by Tatuin View Post
    Yea and saying you learn the class better if you lvl from 1 is also just BS. a blind monkey with mental retardation can do that and still dont know anything about the class or how to heal
    "retardation" the obvious choice of wording to help win any argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawmac View Post
    "retardation" the obvious choice of wording to help win any argument.
    I just used the same words as the guy above me used

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I also never played holy on my paladin till lvl 80 with pretty decent gear I gathered in my tankspec...
    Spamming holy heal was so hard man, I could set up an automated macro and go afk during some fights.

As for monks, just some practice and it will pretty natural.

Monks seem pretty hard to me, there are too many factors to consider while healing with a monk and it is definitely not all in your control. Btw druid healing is dumbed down a lot, so for me after monks come priests with all their cooldowns they have to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardone View Post
    Agreed. It's going to matter a lot about knowing the fights and setting up your "blanket" beforehand. Monks don't react to unexpected spike damage very well.
    Wat? Chi Burst, Zen Sphere: Detonate, Revival and RJW Spinning Crane Kick say otherwise. Monks have better burst AoE healing capabilities than any other class.

Lets get this thread back on topic hey. The OP was interested in the difficulty of the mistweaver, not the lack of difficulty of a HPally. Now, to the OP, as you have stated you currently have 3 healers, so i will assume you feel competent in your role of healing. In my opinion this should allow you to pick up MW quite quickly.

Placement I understand. Usage.... not so much. It casts soothing mists when you do. It boosts eminence heals. Between those two, what other usage are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Leva View Post
    For me Resto Druid> Paladin > Disc Priest > Monk > Shaman
    trololol holy paladins difficult healers to play.

but yeah monk healers are fairly tricky to play well. there is alot of stuff to keep track of as mentioned already the whole raid blanketing of hots and moving in and out of melee, when your in melee to also have to maintain serpents zeal along with throwing heals out. there is also the choice of what your spending your chi on as there are a good few options

saying all that though, because you are doing a lot its fair more fun than any other healer imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasmus View Post
    Wat? Chi Burst, Zen Sphere: Detonate, Revival and RJW Spinning Crane Kick say otherwise. Monks have better burst AoE healing capabilities than any other class.
    Yes, monks react pretty good to AoE Damage IF ReM is on all targets. But not so good vs single target burst, as you don't heal 150k at once like GH does and you're depending on chii.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekerdud View Post
    Placement I understand. Usage.... not so much. It casts soothing mists when you do. It boosts eminence heals. Between those two, what other usage are you talking about?
    I was meaning whether or not you may want to recast your statue in the middle of the fight in order to relocate its healing radius. For example, on Elegon when the raid splits up quite far away during P2. It's quite a large chunk of mana to relocate it, so you'd need to decide if it would be worth it.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Well at it seems now the statue can die from boss mechanics so in worst case you need to replace it many times if oyur unlucky