Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I don't think lack of producers or whathaveyou in Linux has anything to do with lack of software, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aeser View Post
    none of those apps hold a candle to native instruments komplete, logic, digital performer, ableton live, cubase, pro tools, etc etc.

yes you can run some shit on linux that will make sound but look at how many producers out there are using linux, and not for no reason.

windows also has FL studio, acid, reaper, etc. that are pc only but i'd take logic and digital performer (even though dp is getting ported to windows any year now) over any of them any day.

where linux/unix/bsd shine is as servers, not as desktops, but as command line servers not running a GUI, extremely efficient, can run for 30 years without a reboot, and just do what they're set up to do like a tank. and like they say, linux is for people who hate windows, bsd is for people who love unix.

i'm an IT manager/sys admin for a biotech company and have been doing it for a living for 16 years now. i've built unix servers, linux desktops, windows machines, an rebuilt countless macs. each platform is best at one thing, but no one platform is the ace of all.
    so, in the list i put up are opensource versions of every software you listed, some are even better than the proprietary versions

i don't care if you are a sysadmin, i've met plenty of dumb ones and plenty of brilliant ones, but claiming that linux/unix/bsd is only good for servers shows what kind you are

btw, OSX is a modified version of BSD Unix with a GUI

We've basically seen we can build a mac pro with newer componensts (xeons utilizing a newer chipset, newer motherboards [super micro], newer gfx card etc...) for roughly €2k less than a Mac pro.

Now, what exactly is the drawback of cloning a mac pro (same components but newer: cpu, mobo, gfx card, etc...) compared to buying a mac pro from apple? I don't think there are any... So if you know how to build a pc, which is comparable to a 12 year+ lego kit, you should be able to build a system that kicks ass.

You say you want to use Logic? Fine, logic is a great piece of software. The go ahead and install mac os x on your custom made rig.

Use the saved €2000 and buy yourself a nice watch
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2012-08-13 at 08:26 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If Linux is only good for servers.... I wonder why Steam is planning to move to it over Windows 8.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    If Linux is only good for servers.... I wonder why Steam is planning to move to it over Windows 8.
    Expand, not move.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Expand, not move.
    Well, yeah, old Windows OS like 7 obviously will still be supported, but 8 no.

For the record: I've used Linux fairly extensively on a desktop, and it is pretty damn pleasant. Saying it's not good for desktops is seriously foolish.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Well, yeah, old Windows OS like 7 obviously will still be supported, but 8 no.

For the record: I've used Linux fairly extensively on a desktop, and it is pretty damn pleasant. Saying it's not good for desktops is seriously foolish.
    Steam will most certainly support Windows 8. You have some facts wrong.

Some of the computers at Uni use Ubuntu, and aesthetically it is basically a reskin of Windows. You install stuff via a drop down menu or something, the "Explorer" looks and works almost exactly the same as Windows Explorer. I would have no qualms about giving it to somebody and them not "understanding it".

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    it goes on and on, im sure i can find more, one thing about linux, there is always an opensource version of what you want to do, proprietary applications are rare, but DirectX is about the only thing not done well in opensource
    Are you seriously trying to compare open-source programs with proprietary professional stuff??? Only really good opens-source suites I am aware of are Blender and Gimp (which are still inferior to proprietary packages) and of course R (but thats a whole different topic). Open source is great for doing tech stuff like kernels and compilers (this is why Mac is based on open source btw.), but making good GUI applications is a different topic altogether.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by buur View Post
    Steam will most certainly support Windows 8. You have some facts wrong.
    maybe, if windows locks down the OS to the app store (which is suspected at this point), valve WILL pull support, that comes from their CEO

of course you can always run the W7 client in compatibility mode

maybe, if windows locks down the OS to the app store (which is suspected at this point), valve WILL pull support, that comes from their CEO

of course you can always run the W7 client in compatibility mode
    That is never going to happen. Too many companies use 3rd party Windows apps. You can't lock down the entire OS, one that is frequently used in businesses, to a single app store.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    Are you seriously trying to compare open-source programs with proprietary professional stuff??? Only really good opens-source suites I am aware of are Blender and Gimp (which are still inferior to proprietary packages) and of course R (but thats a whole different topic). Open source is great for doing tech stuff like kernels and compilers (this is why Mac is based on open source btw.), but making good GUI applications is a different topic altogether.
    i think you are selling opensource short, Blender and Gimp are amazing, (gimp may overtake photoshop in the next year or so)

what i am trying to say though is keep an open mind, i've met too many people within both music and video production that don't look at anything beside apple

there are opensource solutions, and there are some really really good ones, and the more people use them, the more support they will get, the better they will become

---------- Post added 2012-08-13 at 02:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by buur View Post
    That is never going to happen. Too many companies use 3rd party Windows apps. You can't lock down the entire OS, one that is frequently used in businesses, to a single app store.
    apple does it

This weekend my macbook pro crashed several times working on a project in logic, and I've been wanting a windows gaming system again for a while so I've started thinking an over priced mac pro desktop running bootcamp with 2 internal SATA drives might be a nice best of both worlds scenario for me so I can have OSX to work on music with logic and windows to game with (I already have a thunderbolt display) but I'd heard kind of iffy things about running boot camp, so I was wondering if anyone here was running it and if it was working well for them or not so much?
    This is the first time I'll be using Bootcamp on my MBP 15". I just installed it a few days ago and pre-downloaded Guild Wars 2 (hey I need something to do until MOP comes out). Wish I could tell you if it's good or not but haven't really got to test it. Seems like it should work quite well. I was actually thinking about buying a Windows laptop but am holding off until I can see if this works.

"Support" doesn't mean it won't work in W8, just that if you're in W8 and you have a problem Steam support goes "Meh" after trying the normal W7 diagnostics.

they literally just updated them

what exactly in the hardware is 2-3 years old?
    The 2012 Mac Pro got a marginally better CPU compared to the 2010 version, but everything else was left untouched.

Everything else stays the same, it seems: you can get up to 64GB of RAM, 2TB worth of solid state drives (but only running over SATA 3Gb/s), AMD Radeon HD 5770 and 5870 graphics cards (which we thought were out of production), 802.11n networking, Bluetooth 2.1, Gigabit Ethernet, optical digital audio in and out, a combo DVD writer, and a host of FireWire 800 and USB 2.0 ports (no USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt). It's probably still a powerful machine, but if you were hoping Apple's workstation would see the latest and greatest technologies, we're afraid you're out of luck for now.
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/11/30...sktop-for-2012

But hey, it's your money.

Rest assured, BootCamp works very well.

Deleted
    Doesn't Bootcamp kind of defeat the purpose of getting a Mac anyway?

i think you are selling opensource short, Blender and Gimp are amazing, (gimp may overtake photoshop in the next year or so)

apple does it
    I think you are overestimating open source. Making certain software is only possible if the team is properly managed and pursue the same focus. Only a few open source projects, with strong leaders, can deliver this. Too many cooks spoil the broth. That said, there is a great selection of excellent open source software which I use daily, in addition, I have created a number of open-source tools myself. What I am trying to say is that there is a particular type of software which can profit from distributed development, where open source excels. IMHO, single-purpose professional GUI applications do not belong to this category.

And btw, saying that Apple locks the system to a single app store is like saying that Ubuntu does the same. Apple simply has an unified app store (akin to package manager in Linux) — of course you can purchase, download, compile, whatever, additional software as you see fit.

---------- Post added 2012-08-14 at 05:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Why would it? You get the best of both worlds: OS X for work and Windows for gaming. If someone were to use Bootcamp exclusively, I would agree with you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Not if you prefer OS X for everything besides gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    Why would it? You get the best of both worlds: OS X for work and Windows for gaming. If someone were to use Bootcamp exclusively, I would agree with you.
    You only get the best of both worlds if you don't game an awful lot, given you're usually made to sacrifice an awful lot of performance when buying Apple products...

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    You only get the best of both worlds if you don't game an awful lot, given you're usually made to sacrifice an awful lot of performance when buying Apple products...
    Come on, we already had two threads about this (which were both locked ^^), no reason to start it here again.