Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Exclamation Maybe Blizz shouldn't listen to the community so much

Many of the problems we have now were caused by the community wanting something without looking at the harm it could cause to the game. Maybe the community isn't as smart as it thinks it is. Maybe blizzard should just step back and realize, the community is to full of contradictions in explaining what it wants to be taken seriously. Maybe blizzard should design they game more according to their own opinion of how a MMO should be and just tune the community out a bit.
    Last edited by sandmoth12; 2012-08-13 at 09:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't that the complete opposite of what you were advocating just a day ago in the thread I closed:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-with-the-devs

That's right. They should listen to clearly broken things or things really not working. But they should stick to their vision and don't alter it every time the 1% of the players that really post on their forums start crying unisono.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Many of the problems we have now were caused by the community wanting something without looking at the harm it could cause to the game. Maybe the community isn't as smart as it thinks it is. Maybe blizzard should just step back and realize, the community is to full of contradictions in explaining what it wants to be taken seriously. Maybe blizzard should design they game more according to their own opinion of how a MMO should be and just tune the community out a bit.
    Or maybe Blizzard isn´t as smart as the community thinks?

If Blizzard actually listened to the community the next expansion wouldn't be the joke it's going to be.

Lol, I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Isn't that the complete opposite of what you were advocating just a day ago in the thread I closed:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-with-the-devs
    I am complicated lol. Probably not the first time you will see me doing something that makes me look contradicting/hypocritical.

I made that thread in reference to me alone. Because I am weird and I believe I see the bigger picture of game balance than most. So that's why it's not contradicting. It's a arrogant observation none the less and I see why people would get angry for me saying that about myself.

---------- Post added 2012-08-13 at 02:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by FixDestruNow View Post
    Or maybe Blizzard isn´t as smart as the community thinks?
    It's probably not one or the other but both happening at once.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    If Blizzard actually listened to the community the next expansion wouldn't be the joke it's going to be.
    Care to explain why you think of it as a joke? and please, give us proper answers and not the boring, childish generic crap people usualy give out

Blizzard do, and HAVE TO listen to what the people PAYING for the game want, otherwise noone would want to play it, just because there may be a feature you don't like, doesn't mean it is a bad or useless feature

Quote Originally Posted by bladeface View Post
    omg pure gold lol!
    Last edited by sandmoth12; 2012-08-13 at 09:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree and disagree. I agree that the community, at least those amounts of them that are on the forums, are fickle and often times just don't know what they really want. I disagree, however, that Blizzard should run things how they want, as they're pretty much still doing that.

Their goal is to provide content, whatever it may be (features, raids, expansions, etc), to ultimately turn a profit. Blizzard isn't an organization of mind readers, they have to collect data suggesting what the playerbase wants/needs and put it into action. Giving the people what they want is, historically, a sound way to appease the people that pay you for the service. Look at Rift: Players are easily immersed in the game and kept happy over the simplest of things, but a major draw is ongoing and frequent content patches. You see praise for that everywhere, so it's clearly something the customers desire, thus a key way to keep money coming in.

All in all, I'm sure there's a large majority of WoW players that are happy (or at least content) the way things are. MOST of the players don't even access their forums, so they can only go by playing trends and such, as well as feedback from the forums, to guesstimate whether some decision is a step in the right direction. When people whine/bitch/moan about stuff, it's not entirely Blizzard's fault. Their data suggests people want this or that, but the vocal minority of the players are so quick to change their minds (or become sheep) that it's basically a given that Blizzard will receive heat over the decision one way or another.

Blizzard and the community can both do something to help their own a little more. I for one am hoping MoP will fix a lot of these issues with people seeking challenges and wanting to stand out (be special snowflakes), while still appealing to those who would rather not ram their heads against the desk over a boss fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    Care to explain why you think of it as a joke? and please, give us proper answers and not the boring, childish generic crap people usualy give out

Blizzard do, and HAVE TO listen to what the people PAYING for the game want, otherwise noone would want to play it, just because there may be a feature you don't like, doesn't mean it is a bad or useless feature
    Because the Dark Side of the Force and searching my inner feelings through the guidance of a WWF animal is not my idea of fighting anything in Warcraft. As far as I'm concerned, this expansion is about nothing besides new talent trees, abilities, and a completely filler continent which ultimately brings nothing to the Warcraft story as it is, at least, from what I've been able to tell in the quests from the beta.

All they had to do was give me the restoration of Stromgarde sworn to be done by Danath and Alleria going beserk after her return and seeing what Sylvanas had done, and that would have been cause enough for me to believe in Metzen's "this expansion is about war". As it is, it seems they have no real idea about the path they want to take with this expansion.

Oh, we want it to be about war, but...

have some inner soul-searching while you're at it.

Ok, how about no?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post

Because Blizzard is afraid of people being better than others. I mean... If you suck on playing WoW and can´t play then why should you have the same right to get the same gear as the skilled ones?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If Blizz listened to the community around here the game would have died 2 years ago.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    omg pure gold lol!

Illidan riding Deathwing...I am so IN.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    I agree and disagree. I agree that the community, at least those amounts of them that are on the forums, are fickle and often times just don't know what they really want. I disagree, however, that Blizzard should run things how they want, as they're pretty much still doing that.

Their goal is to provide content, whatever it may be (features, raids, expansions, etc), to ultimately turn a profit. Blizzard isn't an organization of mind readers, they have to collect data suggesting what the playerbase wants/needs and put it into action. Giving the people what they want is, historically, a sound way to appease the people that pay you for the service. Look at Rift: Players are easily immersed in the game and kept happy over the simplest of things, but a major draw is ongoing and frequent content patches. You see praise for that everywhere, so it's clearly something the customers desire, thus a key way to keep money coming in.

All in all, I'm sure there's a large majority of WoW players that are happy (or at least content) the way things are. MOST of the players don't even access their forums, so they can only go by playing trends and such, as well as feedback from the forums, to guesstimate whether some decision is a step in the right direction. When people whine/bitch/moan about stuff, it's not entirely Blizzard's fault. Their data suggests people want this or that, but the vocal minority of the players are so quick to change their minds (or become sheep) that it's basically a given that Blizzard will receive heat over the decision one way or another.

Blizzard and the community can both do something to help their own a little more. I for one am hoping MoP will fix a lot of these issues with people seeking challenges and wanting to stand out (be special snowflakes), while still appealing to those who would rather not ram their heads against the desk over a boss fight.

You are making the assumption that all players know what is good for them. When in reality about 50% don't know what is really good for them in the long term. If everyone always knew what was best for them we would not have a obesity epidemic would we?

A child says he wants a cookie. The parent say to eat your vegetables they are better for you than the cookie. The child screams "COOKIE!". A sizable portion of the wow player base functions this way.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    If Blizz listened to the community around here the game would have died 2 years ago.
    Considering the link you used to have in your signature about your predictions of WoW's expansions...yeah, it probably would have.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FixDestruNow View Post
    Because Blizzard is afraid of people being better than others. I mean... If you suck on playing WoW and can´t play then why should you have the same right to get the same gear as the skilled ones?
    You don't, hence why RF gear is not the same as HC gear, and challenge mode will reward people who are skilled, and better than others, so really, i have no idea what you're going on about

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    It would possibly be a better game, but not nowhere close to 9 million players.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    It would possibly be a better game, but not nowhere close to 9 million players.
    Oh certainly those 1 million (at most) that still played would love the game. But we'd all look back at 4.0 as the patch that killed WoW.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)