Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Would you support a real world Dexter? (spoilers maybe)

Let me give you a brief summary for those among us who have not watched the TV show Dexter.

He is a forensic expert (blood analysis) who kills murderers who have been proven to have killed by DNA. He has a desire to kill but his father (not his birth father) has helped him control

Once he has proof that they have murdered he, following his moral code, decides its fine to kill these people. After all they have murdered, sometimes multiple people, for no reason. He murders them for a reason, the reason being that they killed innocent people. The people he kills are not innocent, they are DNA proven criminals yet to be prosecuted.

Dexter is not uncontrollable, he has a code. He stands strongly by that code because it has taught him the way and kept him away from getting caught. If he never had this code, he would get caught, thats without a doubt. He does not kill innocent people.

I'm not going to lie, if a real life Dexter existed, one that stuck to his code as Dexter does, I would support him. There are some evil evil people out there that kill innocent members of society and these people need to be removed from the streets.

The difference between Dexter and the murderers is simple, he kills guilty people yet the guilty people he kills have killed innocent people.

I wish there were more people out there who were serial killers with morals like this cleaning up our streets.

Would you support a real world Dexter?

Deleted
    If I lived in the same universe as Dexter in the tv show then sure.
    If you were to import the dexter to the real world I'd want such a person in the jail for good.

If there were no laws? Sure why not. But he isn't a cop, a judge, heck a soldier, he is batman with a knife instead of a batarang. So right now in this day and age? No.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

people who don't want to spend their time/money trying to rehab other people would support a RL Dexter

people who make a living trying to rehab other people would not support a RL Dexter

So, even though said criminals are likely to be tried and found guilty fairly by society, he just kills them anyway to satisfy his own needs and urges?

Apart from some tax dollars being saved, I have a lot of issues with this.

id be fine with it
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyguyy View Post
    So, even though said criminals are likely to be tried and found guilty fairly by society, he just kills them anyway to satisfy his own needs and urges?

These people took a life remember or multiple lives. He doesn't just kill them, he shows them their victims, makes them realise what they are being killed for. Justice is being served. Sticking someone in prison where they can still live is not justice if they've just killed numerous innocent people.

It serves justice which our judicial system doesn't do and now, especially in the UK, even protects the criminal, and it saves money, money that could help people in poverty, money that could help the innocent people in the world.

However, lets just worry about the criminals first. After all, they only killed a mother and 2 children...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by riseoftheuk View Post
    It serves justice which our judicial system doesn't do and now, especially in the UK, even protects the criminal, and it saves money, money that could help people in poverty, money that could help the innocent people in the world.
    Justice doesn't exist.
    There's just societys that sort of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Shyguyy View Post

He doesn't kill people that are found guilty, he kills people who the law can't find guilty,but are.

Deleted
    Dexter only punishes those he finds 100% guilty, So I say yes. If he only he only punished those he found 99% guilty I would want that prick in prison.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiright View Post
    He doesn't kill people that are found guilty, he kills people who the law can't find guilty,but are.
    That's what I mean. He knows they're guilty, the law might even know they're guilty, but can't get a conviction. They may be investigating still but in the meantime he serves up rough justice, the way it should be.

That guy who has just got apprehended in Texas for killing people, I wouldn't stick him in the slammer where he'll be fed at the expense of hardworking taxpayers, I would love a Dexter to serve him rough justice.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Dexter only punishes those he finds 100% guilty, So I say yes. If he only he only punished those he found 99% guilty I would want that prick in prison.
    that's kind of the issue of him translating into reality though, isnt it? in a show, of course he can get 100% right. hardly a reasonable outcome to expect in reality

10+ Year Old Account
    No I wouldn't. There's a reason we have trials an due process.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

no, dont want him in rl.

I'd be all for it. The only issue I have with the death penalty in the real world is the fact that innocent people can be found guilty and put to death.

I think murderers who really are guilty should be put to death. In the scenario you're talking about, there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that this guy's "victims" are guilty. I would fully support him.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2012-08-14 at 12:01 AM. Reason: fixed a typo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    No I wouldn't. There's a reason we have trials an due process.
    The average cost for a lifer in prison is $1.5m. Take 10 murderers and you're looking at $15m. Take 100 and you're looking at $150m.

That money would be far better invested in innocent people.

I know this is the DM, but this makes me sick.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-cost-1m.html

Much rather save the money and let someone go at him.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. The justice system exists for a reason. People like this are exactly why it exists.

I don't understand the modern fascination with murderous vigilante justice. Used to be we liked vigilantes, but they would work with police to capture, not kill an evil-doer and then arrest them. I get that's not reflective of "real life", but I thought these sorts of fantasies were supposed to aspire to higher ideas, not lower ones.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

oh hell yeah... i think the world acctually needs one

Quote Originally Posted by riseoftheuk View Post
    These people took a life remember or multiple lives. He doesn't just kill them, he shows them their victims, makes them realise what they are being killed for. Justice is being served. Sticking someone in prison where they can still live is not justice if they've just killed numerous innocent people.

However, lets just worry about the criminals first. After all, they only killed a mother and 2 children...

Jail is a heavy burden compared to just being killed....

While in jail the boredom is crushing every part of you, you are stuck with ur mind (some of them feels guilty all their lives), you are forced to live with criminals that might be a lot more dangerous than you, forced to live with the fear of being backstabbed for you money, you are forced to hold you soap REALLY CAREFULLY (lol).

Killing them.... they will suffer a lot yeah but only for few minutes and then hes gone.

Criminals suffers more in jail than being killed. Sure some criminals play with laws and get out of jail sooner then they should but thats not a problem with the jail itself.... its the stupid laws. You shud get jailed for life if you took some1's life.

I think the problem is people don't understand what a serial killer is. The show is written in a way that Dexter can kill (which he does get release from, which is why serial killers kill) get his rocks off and still not harm society. His "code" is a facade. Put him in Alaska. Put him in a place where killers don't exist and he will still get the same urges and he will eventually act on them. His "code" is just there to make it look like what he does is justifiable. Like it was said earlier, he's Batman but one that will kill. We have a judicial system for a reason, does it fail? Yes. Do people get off? Yes. But as a society that is what we've put our moral stock into in order to keep us "safe" or rather punish the guilty.