Deleted

Windows OEM question

If I buy a pre-built PC with Windows 7 Home Premium OEM, can I install that Windows on a separately bought SSD without any issues? Technically possible, legally possible? As far as I understand it, Microsoft says you can upgrade any PC component you want with an OEM version of Windows, except for the mainboard. Can someone confirm that? Does the retailer usually send the OEM disc with the PC? Do I get the key only? Haven't bought a pre-built in years.
    Last edited by mmoc05ec9a3aca; 2012-08-14 at 12:09 PM.

Yes you can. However, some OEMs have stopped packaging a windows disc with the computer (they reserve a 20GB partition on the hard drive for a windows recovery tool) so I don't know how you would go about re-installing Windows in that case.

100% legal afaik to go piratebay and download a DVD/CD with OEM version, and activate it with the lisence from your sticker on your PC/laptop.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3010461094

Zellviren of Invective of Killrogg: I salute you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aran View Post
    100% legal afaik to go piratebay and download a DVD/CD with OEM version, and activate it with the lisence from your sticker on your PC/laptop.
    in the US, that's a grey area in terms of legality, you are entitled to a backup, but you are supposed to make it yourself, but then again, according to the EULA, the OEM is also supposed to supply a disc

I think OEMs will send you a disc if they didn't package one with the computer, but you would probably have to pay for the shipping (and maybe an administrative fee)

Deleted
    Thanks for the quick replies. I'll just ask the retailer if they ship a hard copy.

Else check if a Windows key is anywhere on your tower, then just lend a Windows 7 Home Premium CD/DVD from someone and type in this key.
    Didn't do that before but should also work (and you don't have these annoying pre-installed programs you never use )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhomie View Post
    Else check if a Windows key is anywhere on your tower, then just lend a Windows 7 Home Premium CD/DVD from someone and type in this key.
    Didn't do that before but should also work (and you don't have these annoying pre-installed programs you never use )
    Just got an online reply from the shop. They said the ship a Windows recovery DVD with the PC and the product key is printed on the back of the tower. If that DVD doesn't work, can I use my Windows 7 Professional DVD to install Home Premium and activate it with the key printed on the back of the shipped PC?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flobaer View Post
    Just got an online reply from the shop. They said the ship a Windows recovery DVD with the PC and the product key is printed on the back of the tower. If that DVD doesn't work, can I use my Windows 7 Professional DVD to install Home Premium and activate it with the key printed on the back of the shipped PC?
    Not unless you modify the DVD image to "Unlock" all Windows editions.

In Germany, and generally EU, if you own a valid license then you can download a clean ISO image off of whatever server you can find that will work with your key, no grey areas at all.

The manufacturer doesn't HAVE to give you a disc, as long as they provide a recovery form with it.

But that said, i prefer to err on the side of caution and always have a hardcopy handy in case i need it.

So my advice to you would be: Find a Torrent site, download a CLEAN image of your Windows and install it with your code, fastest and cleanest way of dealing with it in a speedy term.

Deleted
    as far as I know, every windows DVD has the same image on it, but it's the key that determines whether a windows installation is home premium, professional, ultimate or something else. makes sense, it's cheaper to make 1 DVD mold (or whatever it is they use for putting data on a disc) than to make 5 of them. also means that they can interchange them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    as far as I know, every windows DVD has the same image on it, but it's the key that determines whether a windows installation is home premium, professional, ultimate or something else. makes sense, it's cheaper to make 1 DVD mold (or whatever it is they use for putting data on a disc) than to make 5 of them. also means that they can interchange them.
    yes and no, a home premium will only install home premium, ultimate will only install ultimate, but there is a file on the ISO that you can delete which will unlock the image to a generic installer that lets you pick the version you want to install