Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    You care if the patch comes out on the same day as GW2. You can play both games if you want.
    Exactly. GW2 is not really even a direct competitor to WoW since it is not subscription based. People can, and most certainly will, play both. If the actual expansion was releasing on the 28th, then an argument could be made. But it's a month away from the GW2 launch.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    Like I said before, calling this patch competition for a new and hyped game is... the hell if I can come up with a decent comparison, they're just not comparable. It isn't a content patch, period. Even if we assume that the expansion release date was set on purpose so that the pre-patch would coincide with GW2 releasing, which in my eyes, seems extremely tinfoil hat-ish, what does that accomplish? This patch will probably only tickle GW2's release, considering it doesn't take a player's attention for a lot of time.

But again, I maintain that it's a silly assumption.
    I agree that the patch timing doesn't mean anything, since there's no new content (yes there's the event). My point is, the expansion release date was likely chosen to compete (as much as possible) with the release of GW2, as they've done with other major releases; the drop date of the pre-release patch is just a side effect.

Realistically, the release of the patch will have little effect on the release of GW2, it's just not unexpected that it coincides.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    Let the Guild Wars 2 discussions behgi- ooooh crrrraaaap... I'm too late

Just stop the whole 'hurhur Blizz releases stuff to counter games'. I heard the same crap with SWTOR, and guess what? I didn't notice anything after that anymore.

It happens with every MMO being released together with a major patch, and people still discuss the same thing only with a different patch number and MMO.

Just appreciate (or dont appreciate) the release of the patch and move on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    Sorry Blizz... GW2 will win that little fight as far as i'm concerned.
    i hope so ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    You care if the patch comes out on the same day as GW2. You can play both games if you want.
    Since I have EA for GW2 - I most definately will be !

I'm really surprised at the 'shock' some are expressing though. The timing is spot on for Blizzard and how they operate, from the length of time for Beta/Ptr, to dropping 'something' on a possible competitors release date. All entertainment forms do this, it's nothing new !

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensa View Post
    It doesn't sound like an attempt to "fight" GW2 to you because you are forgetting that during the original MoP press release, and in subsequent blue posts, they said the pre-patch / launch event would only be live for two weeks prior to the release of MoP.**
    Because plans can't change. They have NEVER in the past changed their mind about the release or duration of a certain piece of content, nor have they ever backed on their plans to go with something completely different. It just HAS to be because of Guild Wars.
    Grasping at straws to fuel the argument, that's what I see.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    I agree that the patch timing doesn't mean anything, since there's no new content (yes there's the event). My point is, the expansion release date was likely chosen to compete (as much as possible) with the release of GW2, as they've done with other major releases; the drop date of the pre-release patch is just a side effect.

Realistically, the release of the patch will have little effect on the release of GW2, it's just not unexpected that it coincides.
    I see, I must have misinterpreted you before then. Sorry if I did. I agree with this post though

Quote Originally Posted by belgicanofl View Post
    It will do more than a tickle, I believe.
    I don't know, it's hard to tell. I doubt it, honestly, but who knows.
    However... it's pretty irrelevant for the most part. GW2 doesn't have a subscription model. Anyone who buys the game can just go and play it when they want. They could play 5.0 for a whole week an then go to GW, they won't be wasting any game time as it's free.
    Last edited by Adramalech; 2012-08-14 at 06:58 PM.

Deleted
    Yay! New stuff! I like new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Junblat View Post
    can someone tell us what will be and what wont be in the 5.0 patch ?
    All the talent and ability changes, the new pet and mount system, account wide achievements, all non Pandaria changes to Azeroth up to level 85, and the new Rage Fire Dungeon (low level, they have hinted there may be a 85 version for story related so we have something minor to do) Aside from that I am not sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the talent and ability changes, the new pet and mount system, account wide achievements, all non Pandaria changes to Azeroth up to level 85, and the new Rage Fire Dungeon (low level, they have hinted there may be a 85 version for story related so we have something minor to do) Aside from that I am not sure.
    Any QoL changes, too. But that about covers it. The pet battle system will also be in place, however, it will be "level 95" inaccessible until MoP launch day (presumably the ability to name companion pets will be there, though).

Nothing like a bit of competition to make Bli$$ard release some content ;-)

Guild Wars 2 and WoW aren't mutually exclusive like the horde of people seem to think...

I will play GW2 for a month, then play MoP for a month when it comes out. Where's the supposed competition in that?
    Now if MoP itself was being released on Aug. 28th that'd be a different story, but it still wouldn't be a competition. In fact it'd be detrimental to both companies to compete.

GW1 didn't have an "end-game", in fact it didn't even have a "middle-game", but what it has was extremely balanced pvp accessible to all, as well as farming. 99% Of playtime for anyone who's ever played GW1 was spent mindlessly farming for hours, just to get gear that is a vanity/visual upgrade... So in comparison GW2 has A LOT more "end-game" than GW1 xD

But that is no different than WoW's "end-game", mindless raiding for gear that is only a relative "upgrade", as it will never really change the difficulty of what you are doing once you progress with said "upgrade" to the next tier.

In the end, it all comes down to 3 things that are ACTUALLY important:
    - Lore
    - Achievements (and Vanity Items)
    - PvP

Will we have to download something more than the 6 Gb we have already downloaded few days ago ?
    Last edited by Schmilblick; 2012-08-14 at 07:17 PM.

OMG looool Blizzard how dare you release this patch the day GW2 goes live for non-pre-purchasers. Tho Ill be deep into GW2 from the 25th this was still a cheeky move bro!

I may log in to do a run of BWL an again on Weds if ashkandi still refuses to drop for me.

Im gonna love playing both GW2 and MoP fuck yeah!!!!!! PC Gaming FTW. Tho I will cop me an assassins creed 3 for my 360 some time down the line. And the last of us on ps3 looks good too, I got my ps3 collectin dust atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Huzzah! I just started converting my valor points to conquest so I could get the Pally pvp set (transmog). I can start storing up justice and honor points now to buy them.

/happy dance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggowaffles View Post
    You realize that they need to release a patch for the expansion anyways? This wasn't just thrown together at the last moment to spit in GW2's face. They don't expect a patch to out do a game, it is fucking stupid to assume otherwise.

Game's get released on Tuesdays, blizzard always patches on Tuesdays. Would you like them to delay the patch because of a competitors game? No, they will go on doing what they have always done.
    You can't say it's a coincedence that two major patches are coming out on the same release date as GW2.

Blizzard are releasing them on that date to counter the GW2 launch hype. Alot of people might want to play GW2, but those same people might want to check out the Battle for Theramore and all the changes.

Deleted
    surprise surprise, they release it on GW2 launch day, I could bet any money for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithshield View Post
    Nothing like a bit of competition to make Bli$$ard release some content ;-)
    As much as I cannot wait for MoP... this holds (somewhat) true

10+ Year Old Account
    This thing reminds when SWToR came out, and all that i read everywhere "SWToR will kill WoW", SWToR is way better, new features.
    and blah-blah-blah and blargh, Honestly at this point i can say WoW will not kill GW2, but hype and trolls will do the job. I'll just sit here
    and buy GW2 @december, probably i'll enjoy the game and the trolls will be raging at Arenanet Forums. Just Hype.

Deleted
    I was predicting that the patch would be released on the first patch day after showing the Cinematic at Gamescom, makes sense to release it a few extra weeks at least before the official release considering people are quite bored in game
    Last edited by mmoc93d738ac03; 2012-08-14 at 08:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grevie View Post
    This thing reminds when SWToR came out, and all that i read everywhere "SWToR will kill WoW", SWToR is way better, new features.
    and blah-blah-blah and blargh, Honestly at this point i can say WoW will not kill GW2, but hype and trolls will do the job. I'll just sit here
    and buy GW2 @december, probably i'll enjoy the game and the trolls will be raging at Arenanet Forums. Just Hype.
    I have to agree with you there, I'm waiting until Christmas to see if it actually legit or just all hype. I did have a preorder before, but cancelled it.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.